Page 4 of 55
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
Yeah I don't knowwwww

I'll just stick to my 1.5 android phone until I can make my mind up.

Before you make your mind up, I recommend you do what I do: Wander around the high street, and go into all the different network provider outlets and try all the phones you can. Ask to have a physical demonstration of the handsets, and play around with each one for a few minutes. That gives you a better idea of their capabilities than simply reading the reviews - which is also important, but not complete enough for an informed decision. Then you can make your mind up about whether to go for Symbian or Android or possibly even blackberry, I know they like their physical keyboards.
Got a HTC Wildfire, running 2.2 I think. Not the best thing in the world but it was cheap and does all I need it to. Was running really slow until I factory reset it last week, hopefully I won't have to do that often.

Will probably stick with Android for my next phone, not sure whether to stay with HTC or move to Samsung though? My dad just got a Galaxy Ace and it's pretty good.
Quote by LordBishek
Before you make your mind up, I recommend you do what I do: Wander around the high street, and go into all the different network provider outlets and try all the phones you can. Ask to have a physical demonstration of the handsets, and play around with each one for a few minutes. That gives you a better idea of their capabilities than simply reading the reviews - which is also important, but not complete enough for an informed decision. Then you can make your mind up about whether to go for Symbian or Android or possibly even blackberry, I know they like their physical keyboards.

Yeahhh maybe. I used to work for Virgin Mobile so I am pretty dismissive of demoing handsets. Kind of. I think that might work. I wouldn't get a blackberry, it's just between a better android phone - maybe HTC desire z - and the Nokia E7...
^I have a Desire Z, it's apparently one of the better Android phones on the market.It's the only Android I have owned so I can't really comment on that. Everyone I know who has one loves it. The hardware keyboard is a must have for me as well.

Oh, and if you're looking for a nice-looking UI, HTC is definitely the way to go. HTC Sense is very nice looking even if it is a processor hog.

Grr I have flashed stable version of CM 7.0.3 but it's force closing the phone and I can't get a signal. Very frustrating. I am going to have to move back to 7.0.2.
Last edited by Inimical at May 19, 2011,
Quote by Inimical
^I have a Desire Z, it's apparently one of the better Android phones on the market.It's the only Android I have owned so I can't really comment on that. Everyone I know who has one loves it. The hardware keyboard is a must have for me as well.

Oh, and if you're looking for a nice-looking UI, HTC is definitely the way to go. HTC Sense is very nice looking even if it is a processor hog.

Yeah I know, I know. Logically it is the better phone but... it's not a Nokia
^Haha, I will agree there. Nokia makes the best hardware.

I will say that I have dropped my HTC Desire Z on concrete twice, and it still works like a charm.
To anyone that installed Oxygen or Cyanogen ROMs, is it really beneficial to root the phone for them? To me I didn't really find any useful information about them so I can't really decide if it is worth it to even attempt to install a new ROM...apart from removing those useless apps that come bundled with the phone.
The content of this signature is pretty much irrelevant
They give you a little more control over your phone. However, if you're happy with your phone apart from the crapware on it, then I'd probably stick with Sense. Rooting, of course, is separate to using other ROMs - you can root and use your default sense ROM without a problem. No need to reinstall anything, make a backup purely as a precaution.
Most people that use Oxy or Cyanogenmod do it because they want the latest version of Android OS, not for much else.

Phone manufactures take their sweet ass time pushing out updates, community ROMs just let us get it faster.
Hey guys hopefully you can help me out here. I'm trying to install cyanogenmod 7.0.3 on my Motorola Milestone (its the Canadian version, i'm not sure of the actual model number) but dont really know how as all the methods I've read about dont work on my phone.

I have moved the cyanogen mod zip and the google apps zip to the root of my SD card, but when I try to get to the recovery menu through ROM manager it wont actually boot the recovery menu, it just reboots the phone like normal. So i would boot into the recovery menu the hard way (power+X+camera button) but when I get to the menu there is no option to install the zip files from my SD card.

I also tried the option in ROM manager called "download ROM" where you should be able to select cyanogenmod download it along with google apps, and it will install and everything will be peaches and gravy. But when I select that option I get nothing coming up.

So my other option with ROM manager is the option "install ROM from SD". Although I havent tried this yet because I'm really a noob at this stuff and also want google apps. So I guess my question is if that option works (going through ROM manager to install from SD) and cyanogenmod installs, will I be able to get google apps after its installed? Or if someone who has a Motorola Milestone (Canadian version) has been able to install cyanogenmod onto their device could you please help me out.
Gear

- Epiphone Les Paul
- SX Strat (w/ Fender Vintage Noisless Pickups, TBX Control, and an active circuit board for +25dB mid boost)
- Marshall DSL40C
don't motorola phones have a locked bootloader (meaning you can't change roms)?

or is that just a rumour for the atrix?
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
It depends on the phone. The Atrix is locked but some people are halfway to a crack at the moment.

And for the CM question. What does the recovery screen you'r going to look like? You have to have root access (superuser permissions) and clockwork mod for this to work easily.
Last edited by matt-attack at May 21, 2011,
Quote by Led Head
Hey guys hopefully you can help me out here. I'm trying to install cyanogenmod 7.0.3 on my Motorola Milestone (its the Canadian version, i'm not sure of the actual model number) but dont really know how as all the methods I've read about dont work on my phone.

I have moved the cyanogen mod zip and the google apps zip to the root of my SD card, but when I try to get to the recovery menu through ROM manager it wont actually boot the recovery menu, it just reboots the phone like normal. So i would boot into the recovery menu the hard way (power+X+camera button) but when I get to the menu there is no option to install the zip files from my SD card.

I also tried the option in ROM manager called "download ROM" where you should be able to select cyanogenmod download it along with google apps, and it will install and everything will be peaches and gravy. But when I select that option I get nothing coming up.

So my other option with ROM manager is the option "install ROM from SD". Although I havent tried this yet because I'm really a noob at this stuff and also want google apps. So I guess my question is if that option works (going through ROM manager to install from SD) and cyanogenmod installs, will I be able to get google apps after its installed? Or if someone who has a Motorola Milestone (Canadian version) has been able to install cyanogenmod onto their device could you please help me out.

It's odd that the ROM manager can't find a downloadable ROM. Strange. Nevertheless, I'm not sure what the procedure for downloading the gapps zip is. I know some ROM zips include it by default, others leave it out. I think the best place to ask would be either on the CM7 forums, or the XDA Milestone forums, responses there are usually quick and definitive. It's also very strange that there isn't an option to flash the ROM in recovery mode. If you're rooted, I assume you've done the bleeding obvious and made a Nandroid backup as prep?

Quote by Lemoninfluence
don't motorola phones have a locked bootloader (meaning you can't change roms)?

or is that just a rumour for the atrix?

So do HTC phones, but you can unlock the bootloader. Risky, though.
I got the Droid Incredible. I love android so much. The freedom!!

I recommend downloading Handcent from the android marketplace. It's a free messaging app, works perfectly. The layout is very similar to an iPhone's messaging, but you can change the coloring, the background and font and all that.

I also have an app called Astro file manager. It's good to manage any files you put into your phone without plugging into a computer.

And ColorNote is a nifty way to put "sticky notes" on your home page(s) for little reminders.

I also downloaded Fandango which is great for movie showtimes. You can set it so that it uses your GPS so that it picks up theaters closest to you. Also has movie reviews.

Best part is, all these apps I've mentioned are FREE! Unlike iPhone, where all the free apps aren't worth a crap.
TOMAHAWK!

"Now I think I understand how this world can overcome a man..."

R.I.P.
James THE REV Sullivan
Quote by LordBishek
So do HTC phones, but you can unlock the bootloader. Risky, though.

I thought HTC's bootloaders were just encrypted.

Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Quote by Lemoninfluence
I thought HTC's bootloaders were just encrypted.

I honestly can't remember. It was a fucking ball-ache to S-off, that's what I can remember. I don't know if Motorola's protection is greater than HTC's, but there's certainly a flashable CM7 zip for the milestone, so...
Quote by LordBishek
It's odd that the ROM manager can't find a downloadable ROM. Strange. Nevertheless, I'm not sure what the procedure for downloading the gapps zip is. I know some ROM zips include it by default, others leave it out. I think the best place to ask would be either on the CM7 forums, or the XDA Milestone forums, responses there are usually quick and definitive. It's also very strange that there isn't an option to flash the ROM in recovery mode. If you're rooted, I assume you've done the bleeding obvious and made a Nandroid backup as prep?

I've posted my question on the cyanogenmod forums, but theres been no reply all day. My phone is rooted. but I havent made a Nandroid backup what is that? like I said I'm a pretty big noob about this stuff.
Gear

- Epiphone Les Paul
- SX Strat (w/ Fender Vintage Noisless Pickups, TBX Control, and an active circuit board for +25dB mid boost)
- Marshall DSL40C
Quote by Led Head
I've posted my question on the cyanogenmod forums, but theres been no reply all day. My phone is rooted. but I havent made a Nandroid backup what is that? like I said I'm a pretty big noob about this stuff.

A Nandroid backup is a full snapshot of your phone's current state. No further messing around required. You should be able to make one in the recovery screen, or through ROM manager.

If the CM forums are quiet, try the XDA forums, but be patient. People will take a day or two to reply.
Quote by ai4281
Android users should check out this app

http://www.tekgadg.com/tekgadg/2011/5/22/windows-phone-7-music-app-for-android.html

It looks identical to Windows Phone 7 music app, and looks better than any music app on Android ^^

This looks amazing! Knowing that it's done by the guy behind LauncherPro, it's probably going to get some awesome widgets too. I can't wait until the RC is out, but until then, I'm definitely using this.

Quote by matt-attack
Have you checked out the honeycomb,leaked ice cream, or the market release of Google's new music player? It's the bee's knees.

Nope. Link, please?
Quote by matt-attack
Have you checked out the honeycomb,leaked ice cream, or the market release of Google's new music player? It's the bee's knees.
Leaked Ice Cream?!
Quote by Inimical
Leaked Ice Cream?!

Surely he means it melted ice cream ololololol
Check out my fitness blog here
Quote by ai4281
Android users should check out this app

http://www.tekgadg.com/tekgadg/2011/5/22/windows-phone-7-music-app-for-android.html

It looks identical to Windows Phone 7 music app, and looks better than any music app on Android ^^

Shit, how did I not know about this?

the one thing I always hated about my Android is that it wasn't my Zune HD. That little Zune was the best music playing device I've ever owned--the layout and response is lovely. Downloading this ASAP.

Quote by Inimical
Leaked Ice Cream?!

Leaked Ice Cream Sandwich, technically.
Last edited by Seref at May 25, 2011,
so what phone coming out this summer looks to be the best? Is it the Galaxy S2? I have a LG Optimus V right now, but my peen feels small when I compare to my friends Iphone 4
Quote by Seref
Shit, how did I not know about this?

the one thing I always hated about my Android is that it wasn't my Zune HD. That little Zune was the best music playing device I've ever owned--the layout and response is lovely. Downloading this ASAP.

Leaked Ice Cream Sandwich, technically.
Awesome, wasn't even aware it leaked... looking forward to modders getting their hands on it.

I can't download the version from the marketplace... not available in my country. That's ok, I'll just dump the .apk on my phone.

Edit: No widget yet on that one
Last edited by Inimical at May 25, 2011,
Just rooted my phone. Think I'll stay with the stock ROM for a while, but I'm really impressed by the performance boost just from removing bloatware.
Anyone have any tips for rooted phones?
Thinking of rooting my desire for Redux. Any idea if it voids warranty/phone insurance? Also, would I need a goldcard (and what is one)?
I'm selling an ernie ball wah pedal. Buy my ernie ball wah pedal.
Wah pedal.

Quote by 23dannybhoy23
That's got to be my all time favourite online death threat

Quote by smokeysteve22

My chest hurts after that.
Quote by LastSlayerKing
Thinking of rooting my desire for Redux. Any idea if it voids warranty/phone insurance? Also, would I need a goldcard (and what is one)?

It voids warranty, but if you can find a RUU for your provider, you can flash that back and it iwll unroot it and the warranty is back.

with unrevoked3 you do not need a gold card,
google: htc desire unrevoked3 root instructions

follow those and youll be rooted in 30 mins.
Sell and Promote your music TuneHub!

wy is yer mad at muy gramhar fer?

Quote by jimmyled
jimmybanks youre a genius.

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper
jimmybanks youre a genius

GO SENS GO
Cheers for that
Will give it a go, and if I brick it... I'll report it stolen
I'm selling an ernie ball wah pedal. Buy my ernie ball wah pedal.
Wah pedal.

Quote by 23dannybhoy23
That's got to be my all time favourite online death threat

Quote by smokeysteve22

My chest hurts after that.
I have a T-Mobile HD2 running Android, I love it <3

Previously had a myTouch Slide, it was a POS.

Any UK UGers got their hands on a Sensation?
I HAVE RETURNED
Twitter
Quote by metalkickTM
migueltherocker: The retarded unicorn-fish of the sea

Quote by ShredHead396

Dude, that was just pure win, i laughed the entire way

first stack ^
I'm thinking of rooting my HTC Desire and installing Cyanongenmod, as Performance and battery life of my phone seems to be going downhill, and it doesn't look as though it's going to get 2.3.

So, how do you guys feel about Cyanogenmod? Does it work well for you? Or do you find it has many bugs? And is the process of installing relatively quick and easy? Or is it gonna take me ages and frustrate the hell out of me?
Quote by LinkManDX
That's it, everybody go home, thread won by [sam].
[quote="'[sam"]']I'm thinking of rooting my HTC Desire and installing Cyanongenmod, as Performance and battery life of my phone seems to be going downhill, and it doesn't look as though it's going to get 2.3.

So, how do you guys feel about Cyanogenmod? Does it work well for you? Or do you find it has many bugs? And is the process of installing relatively quick and easy? Or is it gonna take me ages and frustrate the hell out of me?
I run Cyanogenmod on my Desire and I'm pretty happy with it. The interface isn't quite as good as HTC sense, and you'll find yourself missing some of HTC's apps and widgets and such, but most of them can be replaced, and it does run a hell of a lot better. It isn't particularly buggy either.
You're using UG classic, congratulations.
You should be using UG classic.

E-Married to Guitar0Player

http://the llama forum because its gone forever which sucks and I hate it.
I keep thinking the title says "I Avoid Smartphones"

OT: I'm definately going to get an android as my next phone, although that will be a while off, I'm interested mainly in the open-sourceness of them.
return 0;

Quote by jsync
And I've eaten at some of Australia's best pizzerias.

SOUNDCLOUD
. com / fancy-elle
HTC has plans to push 2.3 to the Desire. They've said on their Facebook page they're cutting out some stuff from the release (that's what I'm getting from the way they phrased it) to fit the Desire's memory.

Edit: Word of caution. On paper, the open source nature of Android is very good, and that's true, because you can customize your phone to a fair extent even without rooting.

However, because of this open source thing, it is impossible (or hard) for Google to optimise the OS.

In other words, even though many phones running Android is more powerful than the iPhone in terms of processor and whatnot, it still doesn't run as smooth.

With the advent of the new wave of more powerful phones though, such as the dual core phones, I think the disparity should start to narrow.

By the way, I don't know what Sony Ericsson did to their Xperia Arc, but it's very, very smooth.
Last edited by triface at Jun 16, 2011,
The Sensation is Vodafone only in the UK isn't it? I tried to get one as an upgrade but couldn't. Thinking I might buy one sim free when I get completely bored of my Desire (almost there but not quite)

Has anyone tried putting Android on your PC or laptop? I've tried it on this machine but it doesn't detect the network card making it basically useless.
[quote="'[sam"]']I'm thinking of rooting my HTC Desire and installing Cyanongenmod, as Performance and battery life of my phone seems to be going downhill, and it doesn't look as though it's going to get 2.3.

So, how do you guys feel about Cyanogenmod? Does it work well for you? Or do you find it has many bugs? And is the process of installing relatively quick and easy? Or is it gonna take me ages and frustrate the hell out of me?The install process isn't too bad depending on your phone. I had a hell of a time rooting my ex's Acer Liquid S, but it was pretty straightforward on the Desire Z (also known as the G2).

Cyanogenmod is great. It's improved my battery life substantially and the performance on my phone is great. My only complaint is that it's using an older version of ADW Launcher, but it's pretty simple to uninstall it with something like Titanium Backup and then just installing the newer version off the market.

Head here for anyone Android, they are really helpful:

http://www.xda-developers.com/

Quote by triface
Edit: Word of caution. On paper, the open source nature of Android is very good, and that's true, because you can customize your phone to a fair extent even without rooting.

However, because of this open source thing, it is impossible (or hard) for Google to optimise the OS.

In other words, even though many phones running Android is more powerful than the iPhone in terms of processor and whatnot, it still doesn't run as smooth.

With the advent of the new wave of more powerful phones though, such as the dual core phones, I think the disparity should start to narrow.

By the way, I don't know what Sony Ericsson did to their Xperia Arc, but it's very, very smooth.
I agree, however open source is also why it's great. It's pretty simple to download a Kernel that someone has tweaked and Cyanogenmod is a great example of an Android OS that will run smoothly on almost any piece of hardware.

I would just caution against overclocking... my phone got pretty damn hot.
Last edited by Inimical at Jun 16, 2011,
Orange San Francisco or ZTE blade elsewhere is an awesome device considering the price.
This is the only Android phone i've had. The one that I hated so much that i've avoided Android since owning it.
http://www.htc.com/us/products/touch-pro2-us-cellular?view=1-5&sort=0

But...
I really want the Sony Xperia Play D:
It's not available for my carrier though. I use shitty AT&T.