The other day I was on facebook and my friend messaged me asking if my band would play a gig with him. I said sure and then asked my band. The gig is at The Production Lounge in Brooklyn (theproductionlounge.ning.com). It sounds like a great gig and all, but there are some problems:

1. This is the biggest gig we've ever played, and we haven't played any gigs in a while.

2. We've never played a real club before.

3. Our bassist is away on vacation so we'd play without a bassist (which we did at our last gig which went well, but that was at our school).

4. I'm afraid our music isn't good enough, but I don't know (www.knaves13.com).

5. The other two bands are metal bands and we're...I'm not sure what we are (again, www.knaves13.com).

Do you think we should play this gig? I feel like it would be great to get the extra experience since we haven't played a lot of gigs, but I'm worried about it.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance!
The first question I ask myself when something doesn't seem to be beautiful is why do I think it's not beautiful. And very shortly you discover that there is no reason.-John Cage
You were offered the gig, so I'd usually take it.

But no bassist? Geez. Forget it.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Get a substitute bassist or don't play
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Of course I don't wanna go in the woods. There's bears in there.

Quote by Deliriumbassist
Jeff Ament is a sexy sexy beast.

Quote by Karvid
Yes. Chest hair = automatic awesome. Even if you're a woman.
Well, we rehearsed today without a bassist and we sounded fine...

You really think we can't play without a bassit? We have a keyboardist and he's been playing the bass notes along with his part.
The first question I ask myself when something doesn't seem to be beautiful is why do I think it's not beautiful. And very shortly you discover that there is no reason.-John Cage
A band is not a band without all it's members. You don't play a gig unless everyone's on stage. The only exceptions I ever permitted to this were if the gigs were at somebodys house party and it was just for fun. But if people are paying to see you and you want to make an impression, you owe it to them and to yourselves to give them the best you have. Half-assing it is disrespectful to all involved.
I wouldn't say we're half assing it. We kicked our last bassist out and we've never rehearsed with our new one before, but our new one is away the date of the gig.
I'd say go for it. The Doors went without a bassist. Keyboard can cover the range, but when he gets back, expect the bassist to say "GET THE **** OUT OF MY OCTAVE!"

I write songs.
YOU SHOULD LISTEN TO THEM
Currently Requiring Crits:
none
Quote by StrokeMidnight
I wouldn't say we're half assing it. We kicked our last bassist out and we've never rehearsed with our new one before, but our new one is away the date of the gig.

Never played with your bassist before? hahaha - Maybe he's not your bassist then.

But the keyboard "may" work, I don't know how it's worked with your music. If you've been playing all this time without a bassist and he's been doing the lines, it "could" work.

But know The Doors had a bassist on their records, probably because they had such energy live that the music took a "back seat" to the performance, if you get what I mean. Really hard to pull off now I think.

Edit: Sorry, just read that the Door's keyboardist played a pedal bass in their live performances. You NEED to fill that frequency range.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud