I'm in the market for a new guitar; I'm in a serious band now, so after playing for a few years with my Fender Squier Strat, I definitely need a better guitar if I'm going to continue with this, which I really intend to do. Not to mention Squiers are pieces of shit anyway.

So, I was thinking about getting this:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Epiphone-Les-Paul-Traditional-Pro-Electric-Guitar-105939029-i1515777.gc

I couldn't find a specific review for this guitar on UG, but all the other Epiphone reviews looked really good. My band plays Post-Hardcore, or at least that's what we aim for.

I guess what I wanna know is if this is a good guitar for the sound and for the price. And if it's not, what /would/ be a good guitar for the sound and around the same price range?
Nah, it needs to be $500 or less. I'm on a really tight budget =/ but I've test-played lots of Gibsons and Epiphones, and I really can't tell much difference in the sound tbh. But maybe I'm not an experienced enough guitarist to really tell?

Ibanez might be a good choice, but I've yet to come across an Ibanez that sounds better than an Epiphone *at the same price*.
oh, it's a good guitar. but for your band, i wouldn't get it. for 500, 1st off look used, 2nd look at ESP, Ibanez, and Schecter. go used and you will get one fine piece of win.

what amp do you play through?
Yeah, deffo go for a ibanez instead of a epi.

I dont know if you wanna get used, I personally wouldn't go used.. but if you would, I would also suggest a ESP. Perhaps a Jackson or higher-end Ibanez.
Steam ID
XFire profile

Quote by Delboyuk_01
I don't think you can go wrong with a Black guitar, white ones are almost as good but black ones are better, white ones just don't sound quite as good.
Quote by Zeroxsk8er1
Hmm, you could buy a used Gibson Les paul studio for about 600-700... or maybe and ibanez?

He could get an new LP studio for that, Musicians Friend has a few "faded" studios for $799 although I don't know how well they play or if they play any different from the $1000+ Studios.
Quote by Carmel
Lucky I'm a girl and I don't give a damn.

Quote by darkwolf291

I've seen her kill a man with a spork and a rubber band
No one is safe from the wrath of Batgirl!
Quote by jimihendrix6699
oh, it's a good guitar. but for your band, i wouldn't get it. for 500, 1st off look used, 2nd look at ESP, Ibanez, and Schecter. go used and you will get one fine piece of win.

what amp do you play through?

Why wouldn't you get it for my band? I'm curious as to knowing. I'll look into those brands, too. I've test-played a lot of Ibanez but I don't think I've ever played ESPs or Schecters.

Well, I don't really have a good amp of my own atm. My drummer has one in his basement that his old guitarist used to use when he was in another band, and I can't think of what it is. It's a pretty good sized one, though. Sounds great, at least to me.
Personally, i play in a metal band like technical/hardcore, i use a schecter good quality and a good price. ESPs are good IF you get the Actual ESP not the LTD(i never liked them for some reason but thats me). Ibanez would be the way to go(i love ibanez)..

I've played this ibanez and it sounded Good, even with the Cheap MG marshall amps.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Ibanez-RG4EXQM1-Quilted-Maple-Top-Electric-Guitar-103662763-i1168534.gc
well i dont think of epi lps as a post-hardcore kind of guitar. it may be just me, and im guessing you'd probably want a fast neck, so yea.

i strongly recommend going used. just know what your talking about/looking at and try before you buy and it should be a safe bet.

esp's and schecter's are nice guitars, personally i'd recommend them over ibanez's but that's just my personal preference.
Quote by Zeroxsk8er1
Personally, i play in a metal band like technical/hardcore, i use a schecter good quality and a good price. ESPs are good IF you get the Actual ESP not the LTD(i never liked them for some reason but thats me). Ibanez would be the way to go(i love ibanez)..

I've played this ibanez and it sounded Good, even with the Cheap MG marshall amps.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Ibanez-RG4EXQM1-Quilted-Maple-Top-Electric-Guitar-103662763-i1168534.gc

Hmmm...I'm gonna write that one down and test it next time I'm in GC. I like the whole double humbuckers and one single coil thing. Thanks! =D

Quote by jimihendrix6699
well i dont think of epi lps as a post-hardcore kind of guitar. it may be just me, and im guessing you'd probably want a fast neck, so yea.

i strongly recommend going used. just know what your talking about/looking at and try before you buy and it should be a safe bet.

esp's and schecter's are nice guitars, personally i'd recommend them over ibanez's but that's just my personal preference.

I've seen a lot of Post-Hardcore bands play with LPs (such as A Day To Remember), but whether or not they're Epiphone is beyond me.

I really don't wanna go used, to be honest, unless I bring my lead guitarist with me, because I don't really know what I'm talking about quite yet XD which is mainly why I'm asking for advice on here.
Quote by salgala2000
If you like epiphone (I do) they have a "prophecy" line which is more geared toward metal and they really play and sound a lot better than most other normal (not elitist epi's cause they are the shit) epi's I've played... (NOTE: I have 3 epi's)

oh yea, i forgot about the prophecy's. those are pretty sweet guitars.
Quote by sleepofangels64

I've seen a lot of Post-Hardcore bands play with LPs (such as A Day To Remember), but whether or not they're Epiphone is beyond me.

I really don't wanna go used, to be honest, unless I bring my lead guitarist with me, because I don't really know what I'm talking about quite yet XD which is mainly why I'm asking for advice on here.

they use esp...i think. well then bring the lead guitarist lol. but if you really done want to then dont.
Last edited by jimihendrix6699 at Aug 11, 2010,
Man going used isn't that bad, I used to buy NEW everything, then i got a used RR3 from GC loved the thing, and went on from there, I Saved HUNDREDS of dollars on gear. And most of the things i do buy used are in Excellent or MINT condition and cost less than half of the price. I haven't bought a guitar or amp from Guitar Center nor Samash in like 2 years. just give it a check it wont hurt.
The Prophecy line guitars look really sweet, but are unfortunately outside of my price range right now =/

Quote by jimihendrix6699
i think the one dude uses an esp. well then bring the lead guitarist lol. but if you really done want to then dont.

I'm not sure; I'm just going off of what I've seen in music videos to be honest haha so maybe he uses a completely different one for actual recording/touring. And it's not that I don't wanna buy used, I would just prefer to play it safer, go buy new from Guitar Center or Sam Ash (or used from there, I suppose), and get a good warranty with it so I don't have to worry about the guitar breaking a week after I buy it.

So, I think the consensus is that ESPs, Schecters and Ibanezs are better guitars for what I'm aiming for? I'm still honestly leaning towards the Epi LP, but mainly only because I prefer nice Les Paul look and tone. I'll look for the others to try out, though, before I buy.

Thanks to everyone who responded! =D I really appreciate it.
Last edited by sleepofangels64 at Aug 11, 2010,
Quote by sleepofangels64

So, I think the consensus is that ESPs, Schecters and Ibanezs are better guitars for what I'm aiming for? I'm still honestly leaning towards the Epi LP, but mainly only because I prefer nice Les Paul look and tone. I'll look for the others to try out, though, before I buy.

Thanks to everyone who responded! =D I really appreciate it.

look at esp ltd ec's. they are good guitar's. ltd's are good in general. i haven't played one i thought was terrible.
Quote by jimihendrix6699
look at esp ltd ec's. they are good guitar's. ltd's are good in general. i haven't played one i thought was terrible.

I'm looking at the LTDs on the GC website, but all the ones I'm interested in seem to have Floyd Rose bridges, which I'm really not interested in, because I'm under the impression that they're hard to work with if you don't really know what they are?
well esp ltd ec's are LP copies but geared towards metal. i bought a esp ltd ec 1000 for 550 a little bit back. you could easily get that or, a ec-401 for less and have left over cash. they both come with emg's. unless you get the VF with seymour duncans. but that's used. not new. and floyd's are a bitch. but they are cool once you know what you're doing.
Quote by Slashestranged
Look for a used schecter c-1 or a used synyster gates custom.

I don't get why people recommend this guitar at all to anyone who isn't an A7X fanboy.

For $500 TS could get one hell of an Agile. I mean the good ones start at like $300-$350.

http://www.rondomusic.com/al31252ts.html

Only problem is you can't try before buying :\
Quote by sleepofangels64
I'm looking at the LTDs on the GC website, but all the ones I'm interested in seem to have Floyd Rose bridges, which I'm really not interested in, because I'm under the impression that they're hard to work with if you don't really know what they are?

Floyd roses' arent that hard to deal with, there are great lessons on UG that teach you about the floyd and other things, thus making you a better player.