So I'm looking to find a stoner metal band. I absolutely love stuff like Bongzilla, High on Fire, Weedeater, etc. I know how to get my tone and bring the low end, and have chops that get me by just fine in death metal, however after 4 years I'm just now starting to learn where notes on the fretboard are, how to read sheet music, etc. I am about to start getting into scales.

I'm currently comfortably in a death metal band where I have a good flow with my guitarists where they typically just show me what frets they are playing and I start with the root notes and go from there, sometimes branching out into my own stuff that just sounds good to my ear.

I'd like to walk into an audition (or jam session, whatever you want to call it) and be able to say more than "show me what notes to play." So what should I start learning immediately for stoner stuff? Obviously blues scales will be helpful. Would I be hurting myself in the long run learning blues scales before my majors, minors, etc? Would it be more difficult? I've noticed that probably 98% of stoner riffs are based on stuff Zep and Sabbath have done. Most of the work is done in first position, the twelfth frets, or lots of runs with the 5th and 7th frets on each string. Basically just looking for some guidance on how to better prepare myself walking in. Thanks :>
Using the things you've picked up on within the genre, go into a jam session and just play off the drums. In some sludge bands there's a definite groove going, so pocket playing is more often the better option than bouncing everything off each other.

Now that I read what I've written, it sounds like obvious advice, but you seem to already have an idea of the inner-workings within the genre, so...
wel the blues scale is just the minor pentatonic plus a flatted 5th or diminished fifth depending on what you want to call it. That would actually be a good scale to learn I guess. but learn your maj and min pentatonics and maj and minor scales. try to learn at least two octaves of each.
no sir away a papaya war is on
Like what goest said, follow the drums. Let the guitar do whatever, then progress to that.
Quote by breakdown123
Is there such a thing as a heavy riff with out chugging on the e string?
The best advice would be to play along with CDs/MP3s of other bands in the genre. Furthermore, play along with bands that stand on the fringes of the genre and figgure out your own style.

Playing Sabbath songs is ALWAYS great. Bongzilla//Weedeater//Eyehategod and bands like that, while AWESOME, don't really have anything too amazing when it comes to the bass parts.

Check out the band Witchcraft. They're way on the Sabbath-worship side of things, but their bassist is awesome and learning some of their songs really opens up your stoner/doom repitoire. Kyuss also has really good bass parts.

Good luck.
"Punk Rock should mean freedom, liking and accepting anything that you like, as sloppy as you want, as long as it's good and has passion."
Quote by Din of Win

Check out the band Witchcraft.
Good luck.

you for meantioning Witchcraft.

Though they are more Pentagram worship
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
Lets not forget about Sleep or Electric Wizard.
Just play around the pentatonic.
A trick that I use to guide myself through the neck is to imagine power chords and try to fit them in the pentatonic. Yet, there are some notes that aren't in the pentatonic but you can use them.

Consider this pattern of the pentatonic in the key of E:

G--------------------4-7---
D--------------5-7-(8)----
A---------5-7--------------
E--5-(6)-7----------------- () - blues note

This pattern is the one that I find more useful and comfortable to improvise. Then, you can add notes. The blues note is almost essencial for the genre. Its use is evident in the song "Black Sabbath" by Black Sabbath. Be careful when you add notes because every note has its mood, it's best to have a riff with a steady mood than a riff with confusing moods.

My english sucks, I'm sorry. But I hope you understand what I'm saying here.
Heard back from one of the guys. He said it's mostly 3 and 4 chord stoner stuff so I should have no problems picking up on the groove. Their songs are written in drop C. Not sure I've heard much stoner stuff in drop tuning. Should be interesting. Thanks for all the advice though.
Quote by Lazarus.Bird
Heard back from one of the guys. He said it's mostly 3 and 4 chord stoner stuff so I should have no problems picking up on the groove. Their songs are written in drop C. Not sure I've heard much stoner stuff in drop tuning. Should be interesting. Thanks for all the advice though.

Baroness is in drop A#.

The misinformed person would have you believe The Sword is in drop C, but they are part of the rebel alliance and a spy...