As soon as my Valveking sells I am grabbing myself a blackface Fender bandmaster. I won't have a cab for it however and I am considering buying an avatar or also buying an empty cab and choosing my own speakers.

I was thinking either a pair of v30s because that seems to be a popular choice, or a pair of greenbacks. I want low end, that's half the reason I am getting an amp in addition to my champ. I also, however, want a smooth yet vintagey tone. The original (vintage) speaker in my champ was BRITTLE but I almost preferred it to the Eminence Legend I have in it now.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
I probably wouldn't get Vintage 30s. My guess is that amp would love some Eminence Texas Heats or maybe something from Weber. If you do go Avatar, send Dave there an email or call and ask for their rec given the type of music you play most....which is what?

I personally like my combo of a G12H30 and a Classic Lead 80. I have a trad closed back.
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Aug 11, 2010,
I play mostly blues and rockish type stuff, low gain or overdriven dirt or clean. I also dip into heavier distortion on OCCASION with a couple pedals.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Go with Avatar, but get the combo of the v30's with the g12h30's. I was nervous spending half my paychek on this, but it was so worth every dollar. Not to mention, the guys at Avatar are good about getting your order out quick and easy.
ESP Eclipse Standard Series W/ PRS Santana II Pickups
PRS SE Soapbar II
Peavey 5150 120w Head
Avatar 412 Traditional Cab(v30's+G12H30's)
Malekko, Rocktron, T-Rex and MXR/Dunlop pedals
Eminence Wizards...like a V30 with low end.
Ibanez RGR421EXFM, Michael Kelley Vex NV, Ovation Celebrity. Carvin V3
Peavey 412M w/Eminence Wizards & Swamp Thangs, Rocktron Hush Super C, Furman PL-8C,15 band EQ, Boosta grande, ISP Decimator, Dano EQ, Ibanez TBX 150,TC Elec Polytune
i don't dig on the V30's too much myself, it's kinda a "jack of all trades, master of none" speaker. great OEM speaker for a large audience, but not that great if you know what you want.

i like character from my speaker as well, so i tend not to go too high wattage if possible. i want to say that the old bandmaster cabs came with jensons or oxfords, these speaker weighed in around 30 to 35 watts i think. these were great speakers for an older sound, you can get replacements from Weber fairly cheap. look for C12N jenson replacements if you wanna go stock.

i personally like a CTS/Eminence style bell speaker mixed with a CTS squareback for a nice american tone that has very favorable breakup.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae