I need an overdrive pedal to replace my Boss OS-2 (it's just not what I want) and a reverb pedal. I would like to spend under $150 for both if possible, and I can definitely go used. I mostly play fairly heavy rock and pop-punk with my les paul 100 and valve king 112, if that helps. For overdrive I've considered an ibanez tubescreamer and a digitech bad monkey, and for reverb so far I've looked at the EHX holy grail. Suggestions? Thanks in advance
Last edited by Helicopters! at Aug 11, 2010,
For reverb definately look into the Hermida Reverb, very simple and easy to get a good sound from.

With the overdrive pedal, are you using it to push an amp futher into overdrive or as a standalone dirtbox?

good boosting types:
Ibanez TS7/TS9/TS808
Maxon OD808
Diamond J Drive Mk3

good standalone:
Wampler Pinnacle (marshally style)
Catalinbread DLS (marshally style)
Rothwell Hellbender (marshally style)
considering Valvekings have ample mids to spare, you can say bye bye to definition if you throw a tubescreamer or a bad monkey on there as a boost. get something like a Boss BD2 or a Dano Tansparent overdrive.

as far as reverbs go, the Boss Fender reverb is awesome for your standard spring 'verb tone. if you really feel like spending good cash on a great pedal, check out the Wet Reverb from Neunaber. It's $200, but well worth it.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
Last edited by Jhachey22 at Aug 11, 2010,
^ Do you think I should just skip the overdrive and use the amp's dirty channel alone? I managed to get some good tone out of it and if it saves me $100...
Quote by Helicopters!
^ Do you think I should just skip the overdrive and use the amp's dirty channel alone? I managed to get some good tone out of it and if it saves me $100...

yeah, dude. if you're happy with your amp's drive channel, then don't even bother with a boost and but that cash towards the Wet Reverb.

doesn't the VK have a built in boost anyways?
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
That sounds like an awesome idea. Thanks man

...holy shit. that wet reverb is gorgeous. But are there cheaper options?
Not sure how it compares to the Holy Grail, but I have a Hardwire reverb pedal and love it. It sounds great. Might be a little pricy, I paid about $130 and it may have come down since then.
Epiphone Les Paul
Fender American Special Strat
Assorted Boss and Hardwire pedals
Vox AC15C1
I'd pass on the dano anyway if you were gigging as it would not be reliable enough.

As for the reverb, if you want simplicity go for the Hermida, If you want more versitility, get the Naunber. AFAIK, there arn't really any decent reverbs to cover that middle ground between the two.
Quote by bogg808
I'd pass on the dano anyway if you were gigging as it would not be reliable enough.

the new Cool Cats are suprisingly tough. I've never had a problem with mine. I was really suprised because i've owned the other two series (the Mini and FAB pedals) and they broke within a month of purchase. the Cool Cats are still good as the day I bought 'em.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't danelectro make their pedal cases out of plastic?
Quote by Jhachey22
the new Cool Cats are suprisingly tough. I've never had a problem with mine. I was really suprised because i've owned the other two series (the Mini and FAB pedals) and they broke within a month of purchase. the Cool Cats are still good as the day I bought 'em.

Thats fair enough, but the v2's have a different circuit to the v1's. And the switches look dodgey to me....

Quote by Helicopters!
Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't danelectro make their pedal cases out of plastic?

I'm pretty sure they are, thats why I said they wouldn't be reliable enough.
Yeah, call it whatever you want but something about a plastic pedal just doesn't fly with me.
Quote by Helicopters!

the Cool Cat series are a drastic improvement over the other two series that i mentiones, which were made of plastic. the Cool Cats, however, have a metal chassis, much tougher components (jacks, stomp switch, knobs, etc) and are true bypass.

the other series worth checking are the Bigger mini pedals. can't remember the actual name of the line, but they looked like the mini series, only bigger and they were made of metal. Mike Campbell of the Heartbreakers used a Daddy-O IIRC.

Recap:

Good

Bad

Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Last edited by Jhachey22 at Aug 11, 2010,
Hey heli, would you be selling your OS-2?

EDIT: As i've said, the switches look dodgey on the cool cats.
Last edited by bogg808 at Aug 11, 2010,
Quote by bogg808
Hey heli, would you be selling your OS-2?

EDIT: As i've said, the switches look dodgey on the cool cats.

Have you actually tried them or are you just going by looks?
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
I think my girlfriend wants it actually. Sorry, bud. You might have your funky australia dollars but she has boobs. She outranks you there.
I actually have a Danelectro Fish and Chips EQ and although the case is made of plastic, I don't see any way you could break it under normal usage. Maybe if you jumped on top of your pedalboard or something, but to me it seems quite ridiculous to assume it'd break. This isn't cheap, thin plastic, it's pretty strong.

My only complaint with the pedal is actually the switch; it's a momentary switch rather than a "clicking" stomp switch and I don't really like the feel of it. But it's a pretty solid pedal.
Epiphone Les Paul
Fender American Special Strat
Assorted Boss and Hardwire pedals
Vox AC15C1
Quote by Helicopters!
I think my girlfriend wants it actually. Sorry, bud. You might have your funky australia dollars but she has boobs. She outranks you there.

I wasn't after it, I was just wondering, because if you were to sell it, you might've been able to increase your budget.
Quote by DManTech
I actually have a Danelectro Fish and Chips EQ and although the case is made of plastic, I don't see any way you could break it under normal usage. Maybe if you jumped on top of your pedalboard or something, but to me it seems quite ridiculous to assume it'd break. This isn't cheap, thin plastic, it's pretty strong.

My only complaint with the pedal is actually the switch; it's a momentary switch rather than a "clicking" stomp switch and I don't really like the feel of it. But it's a pretty solid pedal.

+1 to everything you said about the Fish & Chips.
And for the OP's uses, the Fish & Chips might be BETTER than most OD pedals! Need less of a mid boost? more lows? Just dial in what you want, and move the level slider up as high as you like it.

Something else to consider...Electronics, are somewhat delicate...much like your brain. Why are there no good metal helmets?

If you break your Dano Pedal, it's because no matter HOW metal you think you are, sledgehammers do not belong on stage!
Ibanez RGR421EXFM, Michael Kelley Vex NV, Ovation Celebrity. Carvin V3
Peavey 412M w/Eminence Wizards & Swamp Thangs, Rocktron Hush Super C, Furman PL-8C,15 band EQ, Boosta grande, ISP Decimator, Dano EQ, Ibanez TBX 150,TC Elec Polytune