Hey GB&C,
I have an old Epiphone Special 2 Les Paul which I rarely use anymore. As per my sig, I'm a prog-head. My Idea for a refinish:

1) I have some veneer lying around (I don't know what type) Which i can glue onto the back of the guitar and make a natural finish.

2) Paint it like the cover of the wall and write the name of some songs from the wall on it... Kind of like this:
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_XSolG8gmgqI/Ryk29aJ0sPI/AAAAAAAAAAs/MGGDRTudKNU/s320/Gerald%2520Scarfe%2520with%2520Pink%2520Floyd%2520The%2520Wall%2520-%2520Gibson%2520SG.jpg
But without the cartoons and only the body will be painted, not the fretboard and headstock like in the pic.

3) Paint it black and then draw a dark side of the moon logo on it, and maybe some song names in white, kind of like this:
http://www.kosmic-dogs.co.uk/pix/dark-side-guitar.jpg
but across the middle of the guitar...

Also, Should I make it a carved top? Les paul special 2 are flat. I can carve top it and then paint or veneer it but i'm not sure if i want to...

Opinions UG???

TL;DR: Epi Les Paul. Carve top? The Wall, Dark side of the moon, Or natural finish?
Dark Side, most definitely. That would make a pretty sweet looking guitar.
Stop whining and learn your theory!

Quote by oddhawk676
Yeah, some black guy with a yankees cap walks into the ice cream parlor, and I said "We dont serve your kind here," as in, yankee fans, i guess he thought something else and left.
Quote by PekarGuitar

Thanks... I thought it'd be kind of weird to do it on a lp but whatever. I was planning on buying a strat do pink floyd tribute but i think i'll do this and make a strat a jimi hendrix tribute... ANY OTHER OPINIONS??
Quote by PekarGuitar

+1.

Still, I must say, a black strat with a maple fretboard would be just infinitely more awesome <;
Gear:

Guitars: Ibanez SV5470F, Ibanez Xpt700, Fender MIM Standard Stratocaster ('04-'05), Jackson Ps-2
Ashton AG200,
Amps: ENGL E530, Bugera 6262-212,
FX: TC Electronics G-major 2, Behringer EQ700, Morley Volume / Wah
i personally like the wall with the cartoons
Guitars:

1998 Squier Affinity Stratocaster

Amps:

Peavey Valve king 112

Money is just paper, but it affects people like poetry.
Why not do the wall on half, and then the darkside of the moon on the other. Making it the wall to the dark side of the moon?! O.o

Originality Ftw
How many guitar players does it take to change a light bulb?

Twelve. One to change the bulb and eleven to say they could do it better.

Quote by The^Unforgiven
+1.

Still, I must say, a black strat with a maple fretboard would be just infinitely more awesome <;

Yes those do look awesome... I'll be getting some used whatever brand strat later... Do you guys think The Wall for this guitar and then Dark side of the moon (black with logo) for the strat?
And what about the carved top? Also I've never veneered anything before but I can learn
Quote by williamdllr
i personally like the wall with the cartoons

I was thinking about that too. If i did that I can draw with some kind of marker and then clearcoat right?
In all likeliness I won't be doing the drawing. I know some talented artists so I'll find someone to do it for me.

Why not do the wall on half, and then the darkside of the moon on the other. Making it the wall to the dark side of the moon?! O.o

Originality Ftw

Hmm.. Something to think about...
Last edited by salgala2000 at Aug 11, 2010,
Quote by salgala2000
Yes those do look awesome... I'll be getting some used whatever brand strat later... Do you guys think The Wall for this guitar and then Dark side of the moon (black with logo) for the strat?
And what about the carved top? Also I've never veneered anything before but I can learn

Yeah, I'd maybe save the Dark Side for the strat, too. And why not do a carved top for the 'paul if you're up for it and think you can do it? Then again, the graphics will probs look better on an even surface...
Gear:

Guitars: Ibanez SV5470F, Ibanez Xpt700, Fender MIM Standard Stratocaster ('04-'05), Jackson Ps-2
Ashton AG200,
Amps: ENGL E530, Bugera 6262-212,
FX: TC Electronics G-major 2, Behringer EQ700, Morley Volume / Wah
Quote by The^Unforgiven
Yeah, I'd maybe save the Dark Side for the strat, too. And why not do a carved top for the 'paul if you're up for it and think you can do it? Then again, the graphics will probs look better on an even surface...

Yea I think I'm up to it but I already have 1 carved top les paul so I wasn't sure If i want another one... So I'm saving dark side for the strat... So now, natural les paul, or the wall? I kind of think the wall would look good on a les paul...
Honestly, I'd save the strat as a Black Strat/Dark Side tribute, but instead of making the LP a The Wall tribute, why not just convert it into a Gold top like Dave's:

Just a thought
I say Dark Side of the Moon.

And I would not do a carved top on this guitar. the way the guitar is built is a bunch of plywood, random wood chunks, and saw dust/wood filler goop between two pieces of ply. The two pieces of ply on the outside are solely for finishing purposes, as it will give it a flat top, as the middle layer is not solid, there are little pockets of air if the plywood and random chunks didn't line up exactly.

████████████
████████████

RBY CYOA
Quote by Entheogenic
Honestly, I'd save the strat as a Black Strat/Dark Side tribute, but instead of making the LP a The Wall tribute, why not just convert it into a Gold top like Dave's:

Just a thought

Is painting Gold-top's hard? I've never painted a guitar gold... And If it's the same, it people won't KNOW it's pink floyd it would just be a gold-top les paul (which are really nice, don't get me wrong.)

I say Dark Side of the Moon.

And I would not do a carved top on this guitar. the way the guitar is built is a bunch of plywood, random wood chunks, and saw dust/wood filler goop between two pieces of ply. The two pieces of ply on the outside are solely for finishing purposes, as it will give it a flat top, as the middle layer is not solid, there are little pockets of air if the plywood and random chunks didn't line up exactly.

Ohh thanks... I knew it was crap but I didn't know it wasn't solid... Thanks for the heads up
+1 Seref

Paint it a solid color (White or black probably)

Then put the Marching Hammer logo on the middle of it, big. it'd be freaking amazing. If not, Wall's got my vote. Pink floyd's one of my most favorites, and The Wall is my favorite album of theirs.
Art is Vice. You don't marry it legitimately, you rape it...
-Edgar Degas
Quote by Tone Deaf
+1 Seref

Paint it a solid color (White or black probably)

Then put the Marching Hammer logo on the middle of it, big. it'd be freaking amazing. If not, Wall's got my vote. Pink floyd's one of my most favorites, and The Wall is my favorite album of theirs.

I'm starting to like this idea....
How about painting it like this:
http://dummidumbwit.files.wordpress.com/2009/09/pink-floyd-the-wall-1.jpg
If you make this? I will probably jizz in my pants. Just sayin. I think that that logo would look awesome on a LP guitar.
-Edgar Degas
Thanks Tone Deaf! Do you think I should have the Marching hammers in the middle of the guitar where some of it will be blocked with the pickups and bridge or should I do it behind the bridge kind of like the guy from grateful dead....

EDIT: Linky: http://www.axeheaven.com/Images/M_ProductImage_2059.jpg Kind of like that but the bridge won't be round and junk..
Right in the middle, and huge. That's my opinion
-Edgar Degas
Keep me updated. Shoot me a PM when you start this thing off. I may just make a CBG to match it.
-Edgar Degas