alright so I semi fixed my rebuilt guitar. I finished it a few days ago, but it didn't work... so I fixed it today and it only half works. one pickup is working, but it's crackly and doesn't handle distortion very well. (when I put the dist. on it just makes it louder)
I think it's the bridge pup that's working. and the neck pups tone pot works, but no volume or any output. suggestions? thanks!
-Gibson SG Faded
-Ibanez RG5EX1L
-Custom Upside-Down Strat
-Modded Epiphone LP
-Fender Acoustic
*Marshall DSL15H
>Ibanez TS9
>MXR Micro Flanger
>Boss TU-3
>Danelectro Vibe
>Guyatone ST-2 Comrpessor
That's not alot to go on... As always pics would be appreciated, Got a wiring diagram? Worst case scenario just rewire the whole thing, it's not that big of a job usually...
Quote by genghisgandhi
make the bass more bassy

Quote by grohl1987
You really like input jacks, don't you?

My Gear
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus Top
Greg Bennett Acoustic
Epiphone G-1275
well, pics won't help much... that N I dunno how to do em.
do the neck and volume pots need to be connected? from base to base not terminal to terminal.
also what usually causes crackling and hum? bad soldering connection... or what?
-Gibson SG Faded
-Ibanez RG5EX1L
-Modded Epiphone LP
-Fender Acoustic
*Marshall DSL15H
>Ibanez TS9
>MXR Micro Flanger
>Boss TU-3
>Danelectro Vibe
easy diagnosis. work done by unqualified technician. easy repair. consult qualified technician.
edit... in the words of dan erlewine - practice on junk, practice on junk, practice on junk...
Last edited by MichaelOfCanton at Aug 12, 2010,
check your grounds and make sure that you've got the pups in the right way, if one is in backwards you might get an out of phase sound which is kinda what sounds like you're describing. When you solder the pots, don't heat them up too much otherwise you'll fry them out, which would mean they would need replacing and that could also cause a crackly sound that sounds scratchy when you turn the pots.
ESP Eclipse Standard Series W/ PRS Santana II Pickups
PRS SE Soapbar II
Peavey 5150 120w Head
Avatar 412 Traditional Cab(v30's+G12H30's)
Malekko, Rocktron, T-Rex and MXR/Dunlop pedals
Look, we could help you fix your guitar, but it would be much easier for you to find a music store that repairs guitars and have them take care of it.
Again, got a wiring diagram?
Quote by genghisgandhi
make the bass more bassy

Quote by grohl1987

My Gear
Greg Bennett Acoustic
Epiphone G-1275
yes I do have a wiring diagram
I doubt I couldve fried the neck pots because I haven't touched em a whole lot. I mightve with the bridge ones... :S doubt it though I've been very careful.
also the pots themselves don't make the crackly sound, there's just crackly sound, period.
and if you're gonna tell me to go find a tech, don't bother saying anything unless you can give me advice. I'll take it to a tech if I can't figure it out at all.
-Gibson SG Faded
-Ibanez RG5EX1L
-Modded Epiphone LP
-Fender Acoustic
*Marshall DSL15H
>Ibanez TS9
>MXR Micro Flanger
>Boss TU-3
>Danelectro Vibe
Ok ok, no need to get snarky, you came to us for help remember?
The first thing I would check is your pots, yes yes i know, u hardly touched them, but they fry really easy and checking them now can save you lots of frustration later. Double check your wiring with your diagram, it's very easy to get a wires in the wrong place if you're working in a hurry. Did your diagram come from a reliable source? Someone that knew how to make a guitar circuit work?
Check all your components, sometimes they send you terrible components. I bought a bag of caps last year and only half actually worked >.<
Process of elimination is the name of the game my friend, there's a gremlin in there, just gotta find the little bugger ;]
Quote by genghisgandhi
make the bass more bassy

Quote by grohl1987

My Gear
Greg Bennett Acoustic
Epiphone G-1275
Alright thanks man, didn't mean to get pissy but I'm frustrated. how do you check pots? well I think the tone pot may be fried cuz it's bot doing anything :S
I got the diagram with the Duncans I got, so it's reliable.
tmrw Im gettin it to some techs who could probably figure it out n maybe fix it for me.
and they're right near a music store so if I need to I can run down n buy some pots.
any other suggetions?
quick question: Ive read the diagram a thousan times but Im paranoid, does the neck vol. and tone pots have to be connected? base to base NOT terminal to terminal. cuz the bridge one are, but the neck ones aren't...
-Gibson SG Faded
-Ibanez RG5EX1L
-Modded Epiphone LP
-Fender Acoustic
*Marshall DSL15H
>Ibanez TS9
>MXR Micro Flanger
>Boss TU-3
>Danelectro Vibe