Hey im gonna be refinishing my 1956 epi les paul reissue, I dont know what type of finish is on it so I'm not sure bout how to remove it. Would regular paint stripper work?
NOOOOOO!!! Sanding off would be a much better choice even though it will take longer.

In all seriousness i don't think it would be good for the wood. I've never done that, i just sand the lacquer off
ESP Eclipse Standard Series W/ PRS Santana II Pickups
PRS SE Soapbar II
Peavey 5150 120w Head
Avatar 412 Traditional Cab(v30's+G12H30's)
Malekko, Rocktron, T-Rex and MXR/Dunlop pedals
Last edited by Arch1119 at Aug 12, 2010,
sand it off anything else is for pussies
also you might damage the guitar with chemical paint removers
yes sand it off, obviously. the fact that you thought a finish removing solvent suggests to me that you need more information and skill than you can get from UG to complete this project. please dont screw up a nice axe to see if you can get a job with a high skill requirement done right the first time out. like dan erlewine says, practice on junk...
Quote by MichaelOfCanton
yes sand it off, obviously. the fact that you thought a finish removing solvent suggests to me that you need more information and skill than you can get from UG to complete this project. please dont screw up a nice axe to see if you can get a job with a high skill requirement done right the first time out. like dan erlewine says, practice on junk...

i think you think he has a 56 les paul, he just has the epi reissue, in which case, theres alot less value being thrown around there =P

yeah, sand it off, the strippers may damage the wood or even the sealer, if you intend to keep that, so sanding is your best bet
Gear
-----------------
ESP LTD B-104
Prehistoric Jay Turser P Copy - Custom Pickguard/Stickers
Jay Turser vintage series strat copy
Peavey NanoValve 30w
Boss DS-1