I was thinking maybe it wouldn't sound too muddy if I wrote the songs well enough, and maybe certain instruments could take really long rests and that person would keep rhythm with a tambourine to not get bored, but I want all your opinions on this anyway.

I've been getting this band together for a while, and I finally got a drummer so now we can play all my songs, but there are six members and that could get really out of control, here's the list:

1. Bass, lead vocals (me)
2. Lead guitar, tambourine, back-up vocals
3. Rhythm guitar, back-up vocals
4. Drums, maybe some other percussion
5. Piano/keyboards, violin, back-up vocals
6. Trombone, tambourine

What I think is going to be trouble is the 2 guitarists and the multi-instrumentalist who plays keyboard and violin, the trombone shouldn't ruin anything because it mostly just pops up for a lead/solo part then leaves the song for a while, and so far I've been able to write songs that work pretty well on all the instruments, but I'm not sure if that creativity/luck will last very long. So does anybody have any tips for composing songs for such a large band, and does it just look like a horrible idea in general?

Tl;dr: 6 members, might get muddy-sounding, tips/suggestions/opinions? Thanks for any help!
i would totally drop the trombone
Ted: [Whispering to Bill] Your stepmom is cute.
Bill: Shut up, Ted.
Ted: Remember when she was a senior and we were freshmen?
Bill: Shut up, Ted!
Quote by Crimson Ghost
i would totally drop the trombone

QFT... unless you're playing ska :p
Quote by sporkman7
so what wierd things can u guys do? no not like laser vision or meat vision or something, but like random stuff that usually comes in handy
You're getting wayyy ahead of yourself mate. I'd personally like to get a string section to pop up every now and then on my songs, but it never happens. I wouldn't want them all the time there either - so that would be a thing that would be better kept for a record.

But it's not really relevant when you actually look for band members. You'll have a hard enough time finding one dedicated person, let alone 4 and a temporary trombonist (wherever he'll come from).

Edit: I'll add something useful. You can use any instruments you want, but most of the time it's not practical. So for a recording session, it's viable to bring in a random instrument for the day, but in terms of being part of the permanent band, it's not likely that you'll get everyone. And I'm not against the trombone either - just use whatever sounds good to you.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
I personally think that you should use as many instruments as you could that would bring out your own vision of your songs. If you can write a song that could fit in a sick trombone part, go for it. Does that player also know trumpet/baritone/tuba? Knowing multi brass instruments could mix up the sound and make it fresh.

Anyways, all I gotta say is if you feel it, you can make it work.
Haha I wish I could find that many people that play any instrument around me. All I have is a drummer that smokes every day so hes not an option.

But like other people said I would drop the trombone unless your playing ska. And the violin/keyboard unless its the type of music you want. Basically all you need is a rhythm, lead, percussion, and someone on vocals. But depending on your style that could be good.
Last edited by guitarocker100 at Aug 12, 2010,
i still dont know how to multi-quote, so im addressing 1 person at a time here...

@crimson ghost, THATS WHAT SHE SAID!! xD

@nedthehead, there's a lot of influence from ska-jazz, and the trombone's actually really come in handy so far, its cool when I'll start a song with a hardcore sounding riff and the trombone comes in after a few repeats and then it sounds more jazzy all the sudden, i call it the "RXB effect" cuz i noticed the RX Bandits doing the same thing haha

@alanhb, i already have all those members, it started out with me and the violin/keys player (he's the cedric bixler to my omar rodriguez lol), then we got a guitarist, who said his friend could play 2nd guitar, and at 1st i said "thanks but no thanks," then i ended up writing songs that needed 2 guitars so i said "on 2nd thought, lets try him out," then the trombonist just kind of got mixed in with the ska-jazz influence, and then we finally found a drummer a couple weeks ago. They're all dedicated, I made sure that this time I got people who aren't douchebags who'll screw me over like my last couple bands who were always to lazy to jam. And the trombone isn't temporary, I meant it just doesn't play throughout the entire song, it adds some melody, then leaves, then pops back in. and it works pretty well for most songs, and i couldnt really get rid of anyone that easily because the instruments are all vital to eachother, for example in 1 song I wrote, the lead guitar and trombonist have kind of a dual solo, and if i got rid of either of them i'd ruin that song.

@gregreg (and every1 really, cuz this might come up again later), the problem is, for some songs i feel it, for other songs i dont. like sometimes it comes natural and im like "im really glad i have enough people to play this song" but other times i have to angrily force myself to include every instrument at some point and make it work out, it can get pretty frustrating...

edit: and the style is what i call "expansive rock," which is just a term i've heard around the internet a bit as a way to describe new-progressive bands who dabble in a cheeze-ton of other genres

edit (again): well does anybody think it would work out if i just told some members "you're not playing for a couple songs"? i just don't wanna piss any of them off haha but i already have to at least once cuz there's a mostly acoustic song that i wanna play with them, with just an acoustic guitar, lead electric guitar (which pops in for the chorus and leaves), keyboard (which just adds a little melody, not a part played throughout the song), and vocals
Last edited by TMVATDI at Aug 12, 2010,
Quote by TMVATDI
i already have all those members

Then I see no problem. In terms of "does it sound good?", shouldn't you be able to tell?
Soundcloud
Quote by AlanHB
Then I see no problem. In terms of "does it sound good?", shouldn't you be able to tell?

haha i guess i should huh? but, like i said to gregreg, the biggest problem is it works really well for some songs and just flows, but for others i have to force myself to write parts for every1 and its not that it sounds bad, its just not always coming so naturally u know?
Quote by TMVATDI
haha i guess i should huh? but, like i said to gregreg, the biggest problem is it works really well for some songs and just flows, but for others i have to force myself to write parts for every1 and its not that it sounds bad, its just not always coming so naturally u know?

Yeah, well ideally the other guys would write their own parts - that's not happening?
Soundcloud
Quote by AlanHB
Yeah, well ideally the other guys would write their own parts - that's not happening?

I turned into a control freak after my last few bands haha. I let them write their own stuff if its their song, when I'm writing a song, its my art, its my baby, I don't let anybody change my art and touch my baby! Haha at least I let them improvise.

I'm just trying to write a certain amount of material that I like and that I feel is perfect (specifically that I feel is perfect, if anybody else likes it at all, its just a bonus) and I'm trying to write all that myself, there are other songs (songs I'm not as attatched to) that we all write together but they usually turn out weird and will have a huge jam in the middle where every instrument is fighting like "this is my solo!" "no its not, its mine!" and that goes on for a while...I like jams but the instruments must work together haha
I'm not very experianced so I might not be the best person to help, but it sounds awesome! I love when bands have some brass instruments, keys, etc.
For example, I love these two songs (I know they're from movies ) and they both include some instruments like the ones you use (not the exact ones but it's similar)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLf9oARExB8&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmf8rZfGTKQ
You All Everybody!!!
The music is all around you... All you have to do is listen
Last edited by Rock-n-RollStar at Aug 12, 2010,
that was a horrible "that's what she said"...
Ted: [Whispering to Bill] Your stepmom is cute.
Bill: Shut up, Ted.
Ted: Remember when she was a senior and we were freshmen?
Bill: Shut up, Ted!
It may not be your kinda genre but The National use exactly the same setup (although singer is just a singer and bassist is on backing vox). I'm not sure about the amount of violin/key/trombone on their earlier songs but they use them live on most songs nowadays
Personally, I would scrap tambourines altogether. From my experience, the main purpose of a tambourine is to provide some sort of percussion using a person who doesn't have enough money/talent to be a drummer.

Keyboard/violinist: Electric keyboards have a lot of settings. I was messing around with my brother's the other day, and it had a violin setting that didn't sound half bad. I'd say don't have one person dedicated to both instruments, just change settings.

As for the trombone... As has been said, ska. But don't limit yourself to that. Like, Diablo Swing Orchestra is a metal band that uses brass. If you're playing blues rock, brass can be incorporated easily. Even if you use it sparingly just to add flavor, that's fine too.
Schecter Hellraiser V1 / Schecter Stiletto Extreme 4 / Gallien Krueger 400RB / Hartke Transporter 4x10 / Digitech BP200 / Pod Studio GX
Quote by Mephysteaux
Personally, I would scrap tambourines altogether. From my experience, the main purpose of a tambourine is to provide some sort of percussion using a person who doesn't have enough money/talent to be a drummer.

Keyboard/violinist: Electric keyboards have a lot of settings. I was messing around with my brother's the other day, and it had a violin setting that didn't sound half bad. I'd say don't have one person dedicated to both instruments, just change settings.

As for the trombone... As has been said, ska. But don't limit yourself to that. Like, Diablo Swing Orchestra is a metal band that uses brass. If you're playing blues rock, brass can be incorporated easily. Even if you use it sparingly just to add flavor, that's fine too.

the tambourines are just so i can say "hey, ur instrument isnt needed right now, but you can play with this tambourine if ya want?" haha.

well i have 1 guy who plays keyboards and violin, and so far on all the keyboards we both own we havent found a violin setting that sounds decent, it shouldnt make a huge difference if he just switches between the instruments, right?
Quote by TMVATDI
I turned into a control freak after my last few bands haha. I let them write their own stuff if its their song, when I'm writing a song, its my art, its my baby, I don't let anybody change my art and touch my baby! Haha at least I let them improvise.

I'm just trying to write a certain amount of material that I like and that I feel is perfect (specifically that I feel is perfect...

That's probably the biggest flaw in your band right there.

But it's cool, you'll get less attached to your own songs as you write more.
Soundcloud
Quote by Crimson Ghost
that was a horrible "that's what she said"...

ur more of a buzz-kill than buzzkillington...

alanhb, i still let them write when they want to, so they dont complain, they just dont love writing. when its my song its my song, when its their's its their's, when its all of our's its all of our's. im just trying to write that um..."concept setlist" i keep talking abt, then ill probly loosen my grip on them
Ya i think your problem is that you aren't letting the band members write their own parts on your songs
i mean can you even play all those instruments to a degree well enough to write parts for them
Fender American Special Telecaster
Blackstar HT-5
Wren and Cuff Tall Font Russian
BBE Sonic Stomp
Mojo Hand FX Recoil Delay
Empress ParaEQ
Quote by TMVATDI

I've been getting this band together for a while, and I finally got a drummer so now we can play all my songs, but there are six members and that could get really out of control, here's the list:

1. Bass, lead vocals (me)
2. Lead guitar, cowbell , back-up vocals
3. Rhythm guitar, back-up vocals
4. Drums, maybe some other percussion (such as cowbell)
5. Piano/keyboards, violin, back-up vocals
6. Trombone, cowbell

Fixed
Quote by guitarocker100
Haha I wish I could find that many people that play any instrument around me. All I have is a drummer that smokes every day so hes not an option.

But like other people said I would drop the trombone unless your playing ska. And the violin/keyboard unless its the type of music you want. Basically all you need is a rhythm, lead, percussion, and someone on vocals. But depending on your style that could be good.

Do not drop the keyboard player. Keyboard players can add so much