So I got a Sony Stereo for my 2002 Ford Focus.

I got all the wires hooked up, except for the Red and Yellow power wires.

It says to hook them up to the "12 Volt Power terminal which is energized in the accessory position of the ignition switch."

So. Where the hell is this power terminal and how do I get to it? Keep in mind the make model and year of my car. And Please help, I'm pulling hairs out.
Quote by Grindar
Said "mmmmgrbllll?", and proceed to fornicate with the omelets.

Quote by magnus_maximus
I don't know whether to laugh, cry or ejaculate.
When you took the old stero out, there should have been the power wires for it. and if it's been out for a while, the cable would be in there some where but you may have to fish around a bit for it.
ESP Eclipse (in snow white)
Orange Tiny Terror
I'll just go out to my 2002 Ford Focus. Oh wait, I don't have one.

Now, you have constant power (red) which goes to the battery. You also have accessory power (yellow) that connects to the ignition, so that the stereo only turns on when you turn the key. The battery provides all the power, but the ignition signal tells the stereo to start drawing that power. Otherwise your battery would go flat when you were not using the car.

There should be a yellow wire in the loom that connected your old stereo to the car. Presumably you have cut the head off that and soldered the new loom onto it? This means you should have two wires left - they should be coloured red and yellow. If not, please say so.

If not, then you need to get yourself a multimeter and test both wires. One of the two wires will say ~12V, and one will read 0, until you turn on the ignition and it will change to 12V. The constant 12V is your battery (red) and the other is the ignition signal (yellow).

Any other questions?
Marshall amplifiers are the truest purveyors of rock and roll known to man.

"And give a man an amplifier and a synthesizer, and he doesn't become whoever, you know. He doesn't become us."

Holy crap, check this out!
Last edited by seemeel at Aug 12, 2010,
Quote by seemeel
I'll just go out to my 2002 Ford Focus. Oh wait, I don't have one.

Now, you have constant power (red) which goes to the battery. You also have accessory power (yellow) that connects to the ignition, so that the stereo only turns on when you turn the key. The battery provides all the power, but the ignition signal tells the stereo to start drawing that power. Otherwise your battery would go flat when you were not using the car.

There should be a yellow wire in the loom that connected your old stereo to the car. Presumably you have cut the head off that and soldered the new loom onto it? This means you should have two wires left - they should be coloured red and yellow. If not, please say so.

If not, then you need to get yourself a multimeter and test both wires. One of the two wires will say ~12V, and one will read 0, until you turn on the ignition and it will change to 12V. The constant 12V is your battery (red) and the other is the ignition signal (yellow).

Any other questions?

So, in the old bunch of wires, find the Red and Yellow ones, cut them from the rest, and attach them to the new yellow and red?
Quote by Grindar

Quote by magnus_maximus
Quote by TwilightX
So, in the old bunch of wires, find the Red and Yellow ones, cut them from the rest, and attach them to the new yellow and red?

Hang on a sec. Can you firstly tell me exactly what you have done, regarding attaching the new wiring loom (the piece that plugs into the back of the H/U)?

"And give a man an amplifier and a synthesizer, and he doesn't become whoever, you know. He doesn't become us."

I took all the wires and connected to their corrosponding wires in the other casing. And i attached the grounding wire to a metal surface.
Quote by Grindar

Quote by magnus_maximus
Quote by TwilightX

If you are absolutely, 100% sure that everything else is hooked up properly, yes. I suggest double, triple, and quadruple checking it. You will probably want to look up the colors online. If you fuck it up, you might fry your head unit.

Also, I know its obvious, but the wires might be labeled. look for little words on them. Made re-wiring my Prelude so much easier after I noticed those.

DoomdEdit: vThis guy knows what he is talking about. Listen to him.
Quote by Butt Rayge
Pretty sure Jesus was decaffeinated.

I'm just a hedonist without happiness
Last edited by doomded at Aug 12, 2010,
So you have correctly identified and connected the appropriate speaker wires (8 of them), and the ground wire is connected to some metal surface. It's usually better to ground the unit on the chassis by connecting it to the existing ground cable. But you can worry about this later.

There should be another wire from the Sony loom (likely blue) used as a remote turn on for an amp or some such. You can leave this sitting there.

Have you found the radio antenna cable yet? That should be fairly obvious to identify.

Now, it seems that there should be the power bunch for the head unit somewhere in your centre console, hiding perhaps. It should have the two wires I discussed earlier - constant 12V and accessory 12V. You should have a good look for these cables. It will make things much easier if you can find them. The old CD player had to have them - it had to get power from somewhere.

Theres two looms. One had just a yellow wire with green stripes. The other loom had other various wires but no solid red or yellow. Eh?
Quote by Grindar

Quote by magnus_maximus
Quote by TwilightX
Theres two looms. One had just a yellow wire with green stripes. The other loom had other various wires but no solid red or yellow. Eh?

So you are saying that one loom had only a single wire in it? How unusual.

Where you have two looms, they are set up so that 1 is sound (line out speakers) and 1 is for power (ground, +12V, acc). This is fairly standard in factory systems. Aftermarket systems tend not to use this system, which is where the cutting and the soldering come in.

Here is a list of wires you SHOULD be able to see. If not, let me know.

Power loom
Radio Constant 12V+ Wire: Orange/Black (Thick Wire)
Radio Accessory 12V+ Wire: Yellow/Green
Radio Ground Wire: Black/Yellow and Black/Green
Radio Illumination Wire: Orange/Black (Thin Wire)

Sound loom
Left Front Speaker Wire (+): White/Black
Left Front Speaker Wire (-): Gray/Black
Right Front Speaker Wire (+): White/Red
Right Front Speaker Wire (-): Gray/Red
Left Rear Speaker Wire (+): White/Purple
Left Rear Speaker Wire (-): Gray/White
Right Rear Speaker Wire (+): White
Right Rear Speaker Wire (-): Gray

So the red wire of your Sony goes to the thick orange/black wire of the stock loom, and the yellow/green wire goes to the yellow wire of the Sony.

The Sony might have a cable marked ILLUM or ILLUMINATION or similar - this should be connected to the thin orange/black wire and will allow the display of the H/U to dim when you turn on your headlights.

Tell me what you can see.

So theres two GreenYellows. One thats seprate loom and one thats eith the rest. Which one do i use? Respond quick! Its late and i gotta finish this. Thank you so much dude
Quote by Grindar

Quote by magnus_maximus
It's 2.30am local - it's late enough!

Without being there, I can't tell you. You will need to test them, and the easiest way to do that is with a multimeter.

However, if they are exactly the same width and pattern and everything, then they are probably both ACC and the small loom was used for another device. So I would imagine that you could legitimately use either. BUT I would recommend testing before you go ahead with the installation.