Hey everyone, i've been playing guitar for about a year now and i'm considering buying a new amp. My current amp is a Line 6 Spider 112 50 watt, which was a present from my uncle who got it god knows how long ago. I've spent hours trying to get a nice tone out of it, but i am usually disatisfied.

I need help choosing a new amp. I'm looking for a very ideal thrash metal tone; something that'll grab you by the balls. Like a Megadeth/Slayer/Outworld/Pantera sound. My teacher recommends a tube amp of any sort, and my friend recommends the Line 6 POD x3.

I'm open to all suggestions, and appreciate any suggestions. But please if you're going to recommend something please tell me why it would be good for me. My price range is up to $600.

Thank you. Cheers
The Peavey 6505+ combo is in that price range, if anything you could get one used. It's an all tube metal amp, you really can't go wrong with it unless you want sparkle clean cleans.
Quote by Ascendant
The Peavey 6505+ combo is in that price range, if anything you could get one used. It's an all tube metal amp, you really can't go wrong with it unless you want sparkle clean cleans.

so i can't get a clean tone out of it?
Bugera 333XL. Will handle those tones, and has a nice clean channel as well.
Ibanez RGR421EXFM, Michael Kelley Vex NV, Ovation Celebrity. Carvin V3
Peavey 412M w/Eminence Wizards & Swamp Thangs, Rocktron Hush Super C, Furman PL-8C,15 band EQ, Boosta grande, ISP Decimator, Dano EQ, Ibanez TBX 150,TC Elec Polytune
No, a 6505+ will get you ok cleans. Even the original 5150 can handle decent cleans, you just need to know how to use the global EQ.

For that budget you could get a solid used Peavey combo. No need to go Bugera imo.

Look at the Peavey 5150, XXX, and Ultra.

If you want more of a british voicing, marshall jcm900 combos go for pretty cheap.

The Laney AOR is fantastic as well.

Check out some reviews and give em a try, I'd go with a peavey though
Quote by denied
No, a 6505+ will get you ok cleans. Even the original 5150 can handle decent cleans, you just need to know how to use the global EQ.

For that budget you could get a solid used Peavey combo. No need to go Bugera imo.

Look at the Peavey 5150, XXX, and Ultra.

If you want more of a british voicing, marshall jcm900 combos go for pretty cheap.

The Laney AOR is fantastic as well.

Check out some reviews and give em a try, I'd go with a peavey though

Not really looking to buy something used. So the 6505+ is better than the 5150? And either will be able to give me those kind of tones i've been wanting? Sorry for the noob questions, i know almost nothing about amps lol.
a 6505 is pretty much the same thing as a 5150...minor differences.
The Bugera can be had NEW for your $600 price range...the Peaveys can not....save for the 1x12 6505 combo

If the 5150/6505 sound is something you like, try the Bugera 6262 ($550) or 6260 ($500)
Peavey 412M w/Eminence Wizards & Swamp Thangs, Rocktron Hush Super C, Furman PL-8C,15 band EQ, Boosta grande, ISP Decimator, Dano EQ, Ibanez TBX 150,TC Elec Polytune
Last edited by Vinson at Aug 12, 2010,
Quote by Vinson
a 6505 is pretty much the same thing as a 5150...minor differences.
The Bugera can be had NEW for your $600 price range...the Peaveys can not....save for the 1x12 6505 combo

If the 5150/6505 sound is something you like, try the Bugera 6262 ($550) or 6260 ($500)

Interesting...is it a tube amp?
All Bugeras are tube amps.

The 6260/6262 333/333xl are all 120watt tube heads, they can use 6L6 or EL34 tubes (or even KT77s) and are easy to bias properly.

I have the most experience with the 6505+ and 6262. VERY similar amps...a few differences. Sonically, the biggest difference seem to be more low end on the 6262.
other differences are the programable reverb, Tube switching and biasing options, and better footswitch for the Bugera. The Bugera doesn't have a "Resonance" control.

EITHER brand will have more power on tap that you could ever use. On the Bugera, volume levels over 2 are very loud...3 is painful....4 is epic. I never got above 4...it's insane!
Quote by bluntorc
Not really looking to buy something used. So the 6505+ is better than the 5150? And either will be able to give me those kind of tones i've been wanting? Sorry for the noob questions, i know almost nothing about amps lol.

Yes, but it will be hard to find a 5150, the 6505+ is a good combo that you can afford. I wouldn't go for the Bugera if I were you, since you seem to have a very limited understanding of amps in general and they have bad parts that usually break and need replacing with better parts that don't break, the 6505+ 112 combo is a safe card.
inb4 jca20.

OP You're really limiting yourself if your on a budget but will only go new. Bugeras do have a high failure rate because of teh bad tubes = more cost to you sooner then you'd think :p.
If you go used you can get some really underrated peavey tube combo/heads as mentioned for well in your price rnage that will do high gain epically.
Quote by Ascendant
Yes, but it will be hard to find a 5150, the 6505+ is a good combo that you can afford. I wouldn't go for the Bugera if I were you, since you seem to have a very limited understanding of amps in general and they have bad parts that usually break and need replacing with better parts that don't break, the 6505+ 112 combo is a safe card.

Just wondering what these "bad parts" are that you mention? The metal switches and heat vents in place of the plastic peavey ones? There WAS a time when they used a transformer clip that wasn't up to the task, but those have gone away. current run Bugeras are as reliable as a peavey...and in the case of the 6505+ 1x12 combo, MORE reliable than the Peavey as that combo has been having issues. SOME say it's because it's made in China, but I don't buy that. Methinks they were doing some other cost cutting to bring prices down.

The tubes in ALL amps should be biased correctly. A member of this forum got one of the original Bugera heads, and his stock tubes lasted 4 years, and over 400 gigs! A new set of power tubes costs a whopping $60

Bugera makes a very reliable head, and they DO come with a warranty. For the price of most of the amps they compete with, you could by an EXTRA head as a back up. But you won't need it.
Quote by Ascendant

Yes you're right, i know a lot about guitars but barely anything about amps. Plus I like simple equiment, nothing too complex or messy, so ill take your peavey choice into the highest consideration at this point. However I'll still check out Bugera's. I'll ask my teacher and watch online reviews, thanks guys
Anyone wanna give me pics of whatever model they are recommending? Just so I can make sure im looking at the same one youre speaking of...
just get the 6505+ sounds like it will fit you perfectly, and you can get them for $600 new
Quote by alm0st a skat3r
yeah i remember when i had a good conscience. now i dont give a ****

xxx
smoke weed, drink 40's, **** titties