Hey guys, I used to be in a full on death metal band; our last show is August 20th. After this we're going to change our style to post-hardcore/melodic hardcore. I own an Engl Fireball currently.

Problem is, the Fireball is basically either snappy clean tone, or brutal gain. I can't really find any passable middle ground. I loved the amp for death metal, and I love the brand Engl. What's the best Engl I could find for roughly the same price as the Fireball 60 that is a bit more tame?

Also, if changing companies is my best choice, feel free to list some recs from other companies.

thanks!
Washburn HM Idol w/ SD JB in bridge > Ibanez Weeping Demon > Korg Pitchblack > Digitech Bad Monkey > Boss NS-2 > Boss DD-6 > Egnater Renegade > Splawn 2x12 w/ Weber Sig12Bs

Last edited by Unskathed at Aug 12, 2010,
I'd say the blackmore top, its pretty marshallish in terms of the gain amount, and you could still go brutal with it as well.
If you still want to retain the brutal gain of the Fireball and a similar voicing you could get an ENGL Powerball 2. They have 4 channels I believe so you will have more gain stages to play with.

If you want something different you could go with an ENGL Savage or an ENGL Invader. Both are very versatile amps if you want to stick to ENGL.
My Gear

Ibanez J Custom RG8570Z-BX - BKP Warpigs
ESP Eclipse II Full Thickness - BKP Nailbombs
Fender Mexican Strat - BKP Trilogy Suites.

Axe FX II - Matrix GT1000FX - Rocktron All Access.

Stinnett M7 in the works
I was thinking the same price. Like, 1200ish. Maybe a bit less.

What about the Screamer or Thunder?
Washburn HM Idol w/ SD JB in bridge > Ibanez Weeping Demon > Korg Pitchblack > Digitech Bad Monkey > Boss NS-2 > Boss DD-6 > Egnater Renegade > Splawn 2x12 w/ Weber Sig12Bs

Last edited by Unskathed at Aug 12, 2010,
+1 on the blackmore.

haven't tried the thunder.

screamer is quite nice, but is a bit "jack of all trades, master of none".
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
If you're keeping an open mind, purhaps have a look at a 5150/6505 or a 2 channel Dual Rec?
Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson Explorer New Century
Gibson RD Artist
Fender American Standard Telecaster

Amps:

Framus Cobra
Marshall JCM800 2203 - 1960A

Pedals:

Crybaby 535Q
Rockbox Boiling Point Overdrive
What about the Blackstar HT 100 Venue? If I got one of those, I would have some cash left over, and since I have a baby on the way, that wouldn't be a bad idea...

the Blackstar wont be as good as the ENGL but for the price, it's a damn good versatile amp.
What exactly are the kind of bands you're going for here? Cause the kind of Hardcore I'm envisioning would work just fine with the Fireball.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
I've yet to legitimately use the Engl for the hardcore stuff, but I figured I'd make this thread so I had somewhere to start just in case.

Anyway, we're basically going for a more dissonant and technical version of UnderOath.

That kind of gain is more boosted Marshall/higher gain Orange. The Engl might work if you are going for a more technical approach to that style.
Fender Telecaster
DeArmond M series
Vox Night Train 15 head w/Weber loaded 1x12
Dunlop DVP3 Volume (X)
Klone circuit/Russian Big Muff 2in 1
Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET
TC Electronic Nova Delay
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Line 6 M5