I have a Randall V2XNM and I love it so I'm thinking about buying the half stack version of it. (the Ninja V2) I was wondering if the half stack would sound the same as the combo. Any ideas?
It will sound fuller, and the cab will probably have a slight different voicing.
Ok thank you. And to 311ZOSOVHJH, dude I have no idea what you're talking about. I think you read the question wrong
Quote by Pat O'brien
Ok thank you. And to 311ZOSOVHJH, dude I have no idea what you're talking about. I think you read the question wrong

he asked questions that you need to answer so he can find you a good amp. And I'd answer said questions if I were you, he's going to a lot more trouble to help than I would.
Quote by SG_dave at #33549256
I've never wanted to see a guy eat dick so much in my life.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7 at #33553650
If you are white, you are scum.
My question was if the half stack would sound the same as the combo version. I know what kind of amp I want.
I'm talking about 311's questions TS.

He was asking you several questions to help you find a better amp. You might know what you want sound wise but there are a plethora of other amps to look at that and you've not even scratched the surface.

So, again,

Budget?
Genres?
Home or Gig?
New or Used?
Current Gear? (V2XNM check)
Closest City?

Answer. Those. Questions.
Quote by Pat O'brien
I have a Randall V2XNM and I love it so I'm thinking about buying the half stack version of it. (the Ninja V2) I was wondering if the half stack would sound the same as the combo. Any ideas?

OK.

So you have this now right?

http://www.beyondeleven.com/Randall-V2XNM-Series-Head-and-Cabinet-Combo-V2XN-p/randall-v2xnm-series-combo.htm

And you want this instead right?

http://www.beyondeleven.com/Randall-V2N-Ninja-Guitar-Amplifier-Head-p/randall-v2-ninja-v2n-blemished.htm

A revolutionary new Tube driven Mosfet power section called “Valve-Dynamic™" powers the V2 Ninja with so much reaction and feel that you would swear it was full set of power tubes driving the amp. This 12AT7 driven power circuit not only has the feel, but also an accurate frequency response found only in a full tube power section.

The V2 Ninja Head offers a three channel head which includes a classic solid state clear channel, a classic Randall overdrive channel and an all-tube pre amp channel with “Attack” & “Bright”. It also features a midi assignable 6-band graphic EQ and parallel effects loop, a master volume control, power amp density and presence controls and RUBY 12AX7AC5HG pre amp tube.

classic solid state clean channel ? lol
classic Randall OD channel ? lol
all tube preamp channel ? lol
that tube I highlighted is junk

it looks like one big fat gimmick.

for $899?

No thank you. Are you an Arch Enemy or Mike Amott fan boi?

Let's go back to my questions

Edit: not to mention the cab - whatever that is.

In the real world I like head/cabs better than small combos. With heads you can keep your cab if it is one you like. The tones and options in head are 'sometimes' better than combos. 1/4 stacks and sometimes even 1/2 stacks can be easier to transport as opposed to their gig worthy brother combos (not in your case). The extra cabs and options on the head will sound better to your ear over the combo.
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Aug 19, 2010,
Again, TS. LISTEN. TO. 3.1.1.
is there anyone who plays guitar who isnt at least a lil bit of a mike fan boy?
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH

A revolutionary new Tube driven Mosfet power section called “Valve-Dynamic™" powers the V2 Ninja with so much reaction and feel that you would swear it was full set of power tubes driving the amp. This 12AT7 driven power circuit not only has the feel, but also an accurate frequency response found only in a full tube power section.

The V2 Ninja Head offers a three channel head which includes a classic solid state clear channel, a classic Randall overdrive channel and an all-tube pre amp channel with “Attack” & “Bright”. It also features a midi assignable 6-band graphic EQ and parallel effects loop, a master volume control, power amp density and presence controls and RUBY 12AX7AC5HG pre amp tube.

classic solid state clean channel ? lol
classic Randall OD channel ? lol
all tube preamp channel ? lol
that tube I highlighted is junk

it looks like one big fat gimmick.

for $899?

Dude, just because it's solid state doesn't automatically mean it's a bad amp. I wouldn't touch it with a bargepole (not my style) but the V2 is pretty well regarded by heavy players. Here's a good clip of the V2: http://geetarguy.tripod.com/v2test.mp3

I'd still suggest a good Boogie, Diezel or VHT any day, but a lot of metalheads seem to like the V2.

Quote by dementiacaptain
If you're even slightly serious, congratulations, you're my new 'least favourite person' on UG
^true maybe.

I'm not a SS hater.

This is a forum and that is my opinion. It looks very gimmicky to me. I guess all I'm saying is that for $700 - $800 there are a boat load of other amps to look at and in the end after trying a bunch of other stuff out the V2 is where it is at for the TS then he should buy one.

He doesn't mention what Genres he plays, who his favorite guitarists are, Bands, Budget, Location, current guitar or amp, whether or not he's in a band, etc.

There is a section in the Stickies about HOW TO GET GOOD ADVICE.

When I see crappy OP's like this I often could give 2 shits about what others think of my responses. Would I buy a bigger half stack version of what he has now.....the answer is no.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH

I'm not a SS hater.

This is a forum and that is my opinion. It looks very gimmicky to me. I guess all I'm saying is that for $700 - $800 there are a boat load of other amps to look at and in the end after trying a bunch of other stuff out the V2 is where it is at for the TS then he should buy one.

No argument there. I don't really understand what part of it justifies the price tag: there's no beefy transformers, tubes, tube sockets...solid states are cheap because they're a lot simpler to build. So when $700-$800 would get me a great used valve amp, I wouldn't bother.

TS, have you thought about a used Peavey 6505/5150?
Actually, there are tubes, and thus tube sockets, and the transformer is plenty beefy.
I had this amp for a while, and selling it was one of my biggest mistakes.
The tone shaping options are incredible. your normal 3 band EQ, plus an assignable 6 band EQ, presence and density controls, attack switch (loose/tight) and more.
The tube channel has 3 preamp tube...don't like em? it's easy to swap them out for whatever you like.

Looking at other amp brands, I don't see this at at $800 as being overpriced. Metal amps get their tone mostly from pre-amp distortion, not so much from power amp distortion, play around with the pre-amp tubes to you find the tone lacking. The power section won't let you down...400W affords a LOT of head room.

To the OP, NO, it will NOT sound like the combo...it will sound worlds better
Ibanez RGR421EXFM, Michael Kelley Vex NV, Ovation Celebrity. Carvin V3
Peavey 412M w/Eminence Wizards & Swamp Thangs, Rocktron Hush Super C, Furman PL-8C,15 band EQ, Boosta grande, ISP Decimator, Dano EQ, Ibanez TBX 150,TC Elec Polytune
The Ninjas actually sound very good, though I will agree, for the price, you definitely want to check out more than just the Randall.

Quote by dementiacaptain

Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Last edited by MatrixClaw at Aug 19, 2010,
Quote by Pat O'brien
My question was if the half stack would sound the same as the combo version. I know what kind of amp I want.

I got it if others didn't.

I've got no experience with that amp, but have a few combo & cab configurations. Most definitely the cab is going to sound fuller and meatier. It's a lot to do with the nature of the cabinet. Even if all other things were exactly equal, you are using a larger, totally enclosed space vs. the generally half-back combo.