So i'm going to be singing live and I wondered what was the price range on decent mics and how they are set up. (Should I get my own amp just for the mic?)
Well, to answer the (Should I get my own amp just for the mic?), the answer would be no, assuming that whatever venue you would be at would have a PA that you would be doing your vocals through. There aren't really "vocal amps"
Gear:
ESP LTD Les Paul (Blackouts)
B.C. Rich Mockingbird (EMG 81/85)
Paul Reed Smith SE Single-Cut (Duncan Pickups)
Schecter C-1 Classic (Duncan Pickups)
Epiphone Les Paul
Seagull Entourage (Acoustic-Electric)

Marshall JVM210H + 1960A Cab
Also I would recommend posting your price range for the mics.
Gear:
ESP LTD Les Paul (Blackouts)
B.C. Rich Mockingbird (EMG 81/85)
Paul Reed Smith SE Single-Cut (Duncan Pickups)
Schecter C-1 Classic (Duncan Pickups)
Epiphone Les Paul
Seagull Entourage (Acoustic-Electric)

Marshall JVM210H + 1960A Cab
What type of stuff are you going to be singing? The Shure SM58 is a very popular choice for most live settings and sounds great. At just $100 you can't beat it.
Looking for something a little better and have cash to burn? Check out the Heil Sound PR35.
I personally would just go with the SM58....great mic at a great price.

Most of the places have a PA set up for you but contact them to be sure. If they don't, expect to pay $1000 for a decent starting PA system.
A house party is quite small and if you're setting up on the back deck or in a room you could get by with a small PA system. I suggest one of the Phonic ones.

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Phonic-Powerpod-620-Plus-S712-PA-System?sku=630487

That unit is enough to over power the drums and should work quite well. I've not owned one in the past or tried one myself however the ratings seem to be good.
Quote by Janicki
There aren't really "vocal amps"
Actually, there are. Ive seen a couple before. not common, but they exist.

another option for a house party is to rent a PA. especially if you arent the only band playing. get all the bands to chip in and rent a pa system for the night.
I personally will take my Sennheiser e835 over an SM58 *any* day. Side by side, the 835 makes the 58 sound like singing through wet moving blankets.

However, that said, it depends a LOT on your voice, and the only way to tell is to try it out. I used my Sennheiser on one singer and it just sounded awful. Very strident. After trying a bunch of other mics in front of her, the one that was gold was the one I almost never go to... the SM58.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Quote by axemanchris
I personally will take my Sennheiser e835 over an SM58 *any* day. Side by side, the 835 makes the 58 sound like singing through wet moving blankets.

However, that said, it depends a LOT on your voice, and the only way to tell is to try it out. I used my Sennheiser on one singer and it just sounded awful. Very strident. After trying a bunch of other mics in front of her, the one that was gold was the one I almost never go to... the SM58.

CT

those Sennheisers are great mics. i'm with you on taking it over a 58, but they can be rather picky mics. when they work they're amazing, but with the wrong voice, they're awful. 58s seem to be a more universal mic in that they're more likely to work well with any given voice, but they just dont sound quite as good. i really like the Beta 58/57s better for live vocals than the regular ones, but maybe it's just the voices i normally work with...