I've been doing my research for the better part of the past 4 hours and I think I'm even more confused now than ever! I am trying to find a sweet, cheap, tube head (or combo) for about $500 (can be more if it's a head + cab, since I can buy separately). Currently, I'm using a Vox AD50VT and either a 2008 (I think) Epiphone Classic US Goldtop or a 1990 Gibson Les Paul Jr (the latter more and more, lately). I want to dial in what I call a proto-punk tone: sort of a late '60s, early '70s rock and roll sound. I'm trying to get together a punk rock/glam punk band that follows in the footsteps of the New York Dolls, the Ramones, the Buzzcocks, Johnny Thunders & the Heartbreakers, and, for newer references, King Khan & BBQ, Mark Sultan, Black Keys esque tone. Basically, I don't need heaps of gain, I like the "cheap" sound to it — like the amps are about to fall apart — and I like how open it sounds, if that makes any sense. Especially when paired with a P90 (Johnny Thunders style, yeah!), I think it sounds amazing.

I've had Vox all my life and just played last month an AC30 and was blown away! Ever since then, I've been unhappy with my AD50VT. Unfortunately, I'm a poor MA student and don't really have $1000+ to blow on an amp. I've been looking around, and I like the Vox Night Train head + cheap cab idea. But, the more I looked around these forums, the more I noticed Jet City Amps pop up. I finally checked them out and I'm pretty sure I fell for the JCA20H and, to make matters even more complicated, the JCA2112RC.

I love the jangly, bright, sound of Vox and it seems to be a close fit to what I'd like. But, JCAs sound awesome as well, are a bit cheaper, and have the added bonus of being more boutique than Vox. I live in Calgary, AB, so it doesn't look like I can go around and test both (no JCAs ... ), but I have spent a fair amount of time on YouTube trying to compare the two, with limited success. I was pretty set on a JCA20H, but I kind of like the reverb option on the JCA2112RC for when I dabble in classic rock. Plus, on Musician's Friend, it's only $60 more than the JCA20H, which basically means I'm getting a 112 cab for $60. Thus, I am torn.

Ideas? Thoughts? Comparisons? Amps I haven't considered?

Thanks!
The JCA20 may be kind of modern for those things, no?
I see people recommending them for metal.

If you want AC30 tone on a budget, I would look at a Peavey Delta Blues. It's very much like an AC30, but used models go for about 300-450 dollars.

EDIT: Hold on a tic! Canada? Also look into a Traynor YCV40WR. Very Voxy clean tone, made in the Great White North.
Last edited by forsaknazrael at Aug 12, 2010,
Quote by forsaknazrael
The JCA20 may be kind of modern for those things, no?
I see people recommending them for metal.

If you want AC30 tone on a budget, I would look at a Peavey Delta Blues. It's very much like an AC30, but used models go for about 300-450 dollars.

EDIT: Hold on a tic! Canada? Also look into a Traynor YCV40WR. Very Voxy clean tone, made in the Great White North.

Oh, I guess I should mention a couple of things I forgot. Firstly, I'm not too concerned about clean tones. I'm all about simplicity: that's what I love about the Gibson LP Jr, I don't have any pedals, and I want to plug into something simple as well. I like that on the Vox Night Train you can even skip the EQ with the Thick setting! So yeah, my ideal tone would be close to something like these:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i61BlxnDf2Y&feature=watch_response
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZtzDCAD7s0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-cAABgQCEk

I'll take a look at that Traynor! I've heard about them and it sounds interesting. Damn, another one to add to the list...
The Traynor would be great for those tones.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
i might get some crap for this, but music man amps are hybrid, fairly cheap, very high quality and they can get that tone.

i saw clips of bands like Television using music man, so people in that genre definitely use em. i have 3 music man amps, got them all around 500 usd. look on ebay for some deals.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae