Hey all.
So I'm pretty musical.. Been playing drums for the last 7 years, and guitar for the last three. I've written material for several of the bands I've been in, and also write/record my own stuff. I play a variety of styles of rock/metal (Rise Against, Tool, Muse, Foo Fighters etc etc...) on the drums and guitar, so I'll be playing similar songs on the bass too. Also I'll be looking to venture into different genres as well.
Now, for my rough demos, I've been using a clean guitar transposed down an octave for my bass guitar sounds.. Not ideal I know, but it works So I'm looking to get a proper bass sometime soon. I've had a decent amount of experience with them but I've never owned one.

So my question... At the moment, I'm looking at the Ibanez SR range. What are the main differences in the different models in that range? How do these affect the sound/feel of the bass?
Also, what would be a good amp to buy? I know nothing about bass amps so any advice would be appreciated.

My budget? I don't know yet haha Definately under CDN $1000 for the bass, If I could get a nice bass and amp for little more than that, that would be sweeet
But just suggest a bunch of different amps from different price ranges.

Thanks a lot,
Jonathan
My current acoustic group:

Fiftieth Parallel

Martin Guitars
Elixer Strings
Acoustic amplification
BOSS pedals

My first bass was an Ibanez SR200, then I had an SR400. Honestly, they're phenomenal instruments but the only reason I upgraded is because my 200 crapped out on me. The differences are minimal, in my opinion, but you get better tone versatility. However, when you're talking about the awesome SR700 (~$700 new) you get crazy EQ options and a very reliable bass. I was very, very tempted to pick one up. The SR400 is amazing, but to be honest I can't justify the difference between the 200 and 400 if you have to sacrifice that for a nicer amp.

For an amp, I would reccomend the excellent Acoustic B600 half stack (or even the cheaper B200 half stack) if you could find it cheaper used. In my opinion, they're by far the most versatile and impressive amplifiers for bass players who aren't tone enthusiasts (OCD). Hope this helps.
My Instruments:
MusicMan S.U.B. 4
Ibanez SR500
Peavey BAM 210
Gallien-Kruger MB115 Ultralight
DigiTech Bass Whammy
How many strings do you wan't on the bass? I personally don't like the necks on the 4 string SR's, but the 5 and 6 strings are great, I personally would recommend the Ibanez K5. It is the Fieldy (Korn bassist) signature model, but it is an amazing bass even if you don't like Korn, you can just tune it up to standard BEADG.

For the amp I would either go for one of the Acoustic Amps that BassJayDunkin suggested, or look at the used ones and maybe ask someone who works in the store about the amps if you don't know much. I've never used an amp made by Acoustic, but I've only heard good things about them.

You may want to get some pedals as well, like a fuzz pedal for playing Muse etc. But DO NOT use any guitar pedals, basses MAY cause damage to them.

Ibanez K5
Warwick Rockbass Vampyre 4

Line 6 Bass Pod XT Live
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Quote by Bassist Rising

DO NOT use any guitar pedals, basses MAY cause damage to them.

Don't be daft, of course they won't.
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
Quote by Bassist Rising
You may want to get some pedals as well, like a fuzz pedal for playing Muse etc. But DO NOT use any guitar pedals, basses MAY cause damage to them.

Not really true. Bass will kill a guitar SPEAKER, and some guitar pedals (like distortion) may interfere with your tone by cutting the low end, but you can't damage a guitar pedal (or a guitar amp, for that matter, as long as you use bass speakers) with a bass signal.

I'd recommend at least an SR400, 500 or higher range is better (mostly because of Bartolini pickups and EQ rather than Ibanez, the woods are better too). I've spent an absurd amount of time playing an SR505 and 506 in-store, and I think they're very comfortable, sound great, and can get a good range of tones.

For an amp, I'll second Acoustic, I think it's extremely good for the money. I haven't had any experience with them, but conventional wisdom here is that Peavey, Ashdown, and Laney are also very good inexpensive amps.

EDIT: I'm just ballparking the difference between prices in the US and Canada, but I think you coud get an SR500-range and an Acoustic 200W combo for pretty close to $1000. The half-stack would run you a bit more.
Quote by MightyAl
Back in my day, the teacher had to come to my tribe's village and inspect my cave-paintings in person.
For some reason, he thought the bison I painted was his mother, and gave me an F.

It wasn't my fault they look so similar.
Last edited by TheBadPlace at Aug 12, 2010,
The Acoustic B200H and a 1x15 cab is something like $500, I believe. You can probably get a used SR500-600 for about the same price.
My Instruments:
MusicMan S.U.B. 4
Ibanez SR500
Peavey BAM 210
Gallien-Kruger MB115 Ultralight
DigiTech Bass Whammy
Thanks for the replies so far.
Bassist Rising, at the moment I'm undecided on the number of strings (either 4 or 5).
I'm not just looking at the Ibanez SR's, though.. They are just the basses which I've researched the most. What other comparable basses are there from other manufacturers? Say Fender/Yamaha etc etc.. Or any other recommended Ibanez basses (like the K5 that was mentioned).
Thanks again for your help
Jonathan
My current acoustic group:

Fiftieth Parallel

Martin Guitars
Elixer Strings
Acoustic amplification
BOSS pedals

I don't have much experience with SR's, so I'm not gonna focus on that.. here are some other things to look into.

You could probably score a used Fender if you're willing to go used, or you could get a MIM (I'm not exactly sure what $1000 CDN translates to, so these ideas might be inaccurate) and it could handle just about anything.

Another bass I would check out is the Yamaha BB415 (or BB414 depending on how many strings you choose). It will feel very different from an Ibanez SR, but I own one, and they are extremely versatile and very high quality for their price. Something to look into at least.
Gear:

Fender Jazz
Spector Legend Custom 5
Yamaha BB415

Fender Bassman 400 Pro
Give Traben a look too. They don't cost too much, but they punch well above their price tag. The big bridges are a love it or hate it thing, so if you can get over the looks, you might be pleasantly surprised by the quality.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass