So, I'm thinking of making a super versatile guitar which has a total of 4 humbucking pickups. Two active (probably EMG's or Seymour Duncan Blackouts) and two passive (something well suited for cleans). I'd also like to make it a semi-hollow body.

Now that's all well and good for switching between heavy distortion on the actives and sparkling cleans on the passives, but what happens if I use all four pickups at the same time? Is it just going to sound really horrible or what? Will there even be enough power being provided? I'm guessing there will be since the actives have their own battery, but I'm not sure.

Also, is there a reason that you don't see semi-hollow body metal guitars other than the fact that you probably can't tell the difference after the distortion? It couldn't hurt the sound at least, correct?

Thanks for any help!
You will bow at my feet or I'll rip out your knees

and make of your face all the carnage you crave
4 pickups? Humbuckers? Explain this, plox.

You can't use the passive at the same time as the active.
You will need a buffer on the passive to make them run with the active.

Additionally, you will need separate controls for the active pickups, and separate controls for the passive, because actives use 25K pots, and passive humbuckers generally use 500K.

As for semi-hollows, you may experience feedback.
well it wouldn't make a sound with 2 passives and 2 actives running together u cant wire them on the same circut
pro tools operator certified
agile in-ceptor 727
gibson:les-paul studio
fender:strat
ibanez:prestiege s2170se s520ex
esp:ec-1000vb
splawn nitro kt88s
genz-bends g-flex

Quote by Punkismygod
U sure u want a floydrose? those things will make your nerves explode
@forsaknazrael:
Well I mean 4 separate humbuckers, which would have two pickups in each technically I guess. So if you're counting all of them there are 8.

Last edited by 6StringSlaughtr at Aug 12, 2010,
maixicng actives and passives would be complicated i know you would need different pots for the actives and the passives i font know about anything else like the grounding and the jack

and the reason most hollow body guitars arent made for high gain is that they tend to have alot of feedback

i suggest instead out have a preamp build into your guitar so you can flip a switch and add some gain to it and go back to clean when done
Ok, thanks for the heads up about the feedback, would have been bad to find that out the hard way...

Quote by 6StringSlaughtr
@forsaknazrael:
Well I mean 4 separate humbuckers, which would have two pickups in each technically I guess. So if you're counting all of them there are 8.

I understood that there were four humbuckers. I just don't understood why (what tonal advantages?) or how the routing was going to look (ugly? ).
It would be possible, but you would need 3 switches, and 4 knobs to make it work properly. You wouldn't want your passives or actives working at the same time.

This sig is colored just to annoy the UG classic users.

Trying to think of witty things to put in my sig. Message if you have ideas.
Have you considered using 2 passive pickups and having a switch-able active circuit (like a built in boost pedal)
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB
Or, two active and two passives and two output jacks?
build 1, finished 1/15/11

Every time I try to pick it up like falling sand,
As fast as I pick it up,
it runs away through my clutching hands.
There's nothing else I can really do...
Not a good idea. If you want versatility, just buy 2 guitars. Also, you'd have to cut a portion of the neck for the 3rd and 4th humbucker to fit (I think). you could also add coil tap for better cleans
HILT!

Where's Waldo?

Quote by OliOsbourne
Not a good idea. If you want versatility, just buy 2 guitars. Also, you'd have to cut a portion of the neck for the 3rd and 4th humbucker to fit (I think). you could also add coil tap for better cleans

"Better cleans"

I think you meant different cleans. Or just different tone in general.
Quote by colgo889
"Better cleans"

I think you meant different cleans. Or just different tone in general.

i meant better if you use active pups like me
HILT!

Where's Waldo?

Quote by OliOsbourne
i meant better if you use active pups like me

You can't coil split actives. So you were saying better cleans that the unsplit humbucker, though i see now that you did not mean that.
Last edited by colgo889 at Aug 12, 2010,
In the beginning, god created the doubleneck guitar. And it was perfect for its ridiculous appearance and overwhelmingly easy playability. And all was whole once more. Eyyyyyyyy.
Life is about taking risks, as long as the risks aren't too risky.
Quote by acrtl1000s
In the beginning, god created the doubleneck guitar. And it was perfect for its ridiculous appearance and overwhelmingly easy playability. And all was whole once more. Eyyyyyyyy.
Actually, I think a chiropractor created the doubleneck guitar one day while his business was slow.

Quote by forsaknazrael
stacked hamburgers ftw.
Hahahaha. That's what auto-correct will do to you if you don't watch it. Sneaky bastard.
Watching and listening to Jimmy Page play his double neck live when he is on heroin is just sad. He sounds like he just started playing that morning.
listen to MAB play a double neck guitar (he also plays a 4 neck guitar but its only for showing off)
HILT!

Where's Waldo?

Simple solution:

Route for full sized humbuckers.

Use Lace Reds and some SC sized passive buckers of your choice, and place them as desired in the routing. Have a switch taking you between the passive and active pickups, with as many knobs as you need to give you the options you want for each pickup set.
a'la this.

Page for the guy's signatures.
http://www.espguitars.co.jp/artist/aoi/index.html
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Quote by oed

Cool guitar..

do you it one of the middle pickups when you strum?
HILT!

Where's Waldo?

I mean... there are examples of four humbuckers being used

so the routing is possible... but it looks terrible!
Definitely go with stacked pups if youre dead set on all humbuckers
"A dog returns to its own vomit"
This sounds like a recipe for poor sustain. So many magnets...
My Tele Project!

Cheapy Johnson Steel String Acoustic
Les Paul Ripoff w/ SD SH2 and SH4
Modded Crate V18 2x12 w/ Weber Speakers
Squier Deluxe 5-string Active J-Bass
Acoustic B100 15" Bass Combo Amp
Gray VS Jekyll & Hyde
Vox V847A Wah
Wouldn't there be output issues with using passive and active pups together? I've got a friend with a guitar equipped with 81's and 85's, and it's hella louder than my Esquire's "super-high output" Neovin passive pickup.
Epiphone Dot
DIY Esquire w/Neovin Power Rock pickup
Vox AC30VR 212
Arion MTE-1 (LED clipping diodes added)
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
By high-gain I don't mean stupid stuff. I just mean styles like Motley Crue or Iron Maiden
Quote by Shinozoku
Simple solution:

Route for full sized humbuckers.

Use Lace Reds and some SC sized passive buckers of your choice, and place them as desired in the routing. Have a switch taking you between the passive and active pickups, with as many knobs as you need to give you the options you want for each pickup set.
a'la this.

Page for the guy's signatures.
http://www.espguitars.co.jp/artist/aoi/index.html

Ahem... Excuse me.. but I've got the best idea here >_> Mind you this guy used Lace Golds for the Single Coil sound, you can do the same with the Lace Reds for a humbucker tone. Just keep the routing perpendicular to the strings instead of angled like this one.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Quote by colgo889
You can't coil split actives. So you were saying better cleans that the unsplit humbucker, though i see now that you did not mean that.

You can coil tap/ coil split actives, I know for sure there is a Hellraiser model with the 81/85 set coil tapped with a push-pull pot.
ESP Eclipse Standard Series W/ PRS Santana II Pickups
PRS SE Soapbar II
Peavey 5150 120w Head
Avatar 412 Traditional Cab(v30's+G12H30's)
Malekko, Rocktron, T-Rex and MXR/Dunlop pedals
Quote by Arch1119
You can coil tap/ coil split actives, I know for sure there is a Hellraiser model with the 81/85 set coil tapped with a push-pull pot.

the hellraiser you're talking about has an 81TW and an 89, not an 81/85 set..

and it's not really coil splitting anyway, but...yeah..
i think this is a relatively silly idea, i'd rather have 5 one-trick ponies than have a ridiculous looking guitar, but if you're hell bent on this, then go with Shinozoku's idea.
some guitars
some amps
some pedals
some crabs
Quote by james4
the hellraiser you're talking about has an 81TW and an 89, not an 81/85 set..

and it's not really coil splitting anyway, but...yeah..

I see, didn't know they had different ones in that model, either way I wasn't impressed with it.
ESP Eclipse Standard Series W/ PRS Santana II Pickups
PRS SE Soapbar II
Peavey 5150 120w Head
Avatar 412 Traditional Cab(v30's+G12H30's)
Malekko, Rocktron, T-Rex and MXR/Dunlop pedals