I am on a bit of a tight budget so I am only looking for pedals that are necessary to my band's sound at the moment.

I need a boost for my Carvin x100b. I was thinking Ibanez TS9. I know it colors your tone a lot, but I need to escape the hell that is Boss MT-2. I don't mind going used for an OD pedal, but keep it in the <$100 range. Willing to push a few extra dollars. Also, if anyone has experience with my amp, is a br00tal metal tone achievable with a boost on top of the dirty channel?

Secondly, I need a volume expression pedal. I am considering the Morley Volume Plus. It seems like a solid pedal (I don't care about it's size), it has good reviews, and it is quite cheap...Err...I think. I don't mind going used here either.

Thirdly, a chromatic tuner. The Boss TU-2 or 3 seems to be the quintessential on stage tuner, but I have been looking at the Korg Pitchblack.

These next two are optional and I might not even get for awhile:

1.) A chorus pedal for my cleans. I have no idea which one to get and don't mind going used.

2.) Noise gate. Anything cheap is welcome. Boss NS-2 maybe? If that's what the pedal is called.

Any help is appreciated, please no spam, just try to help me.

I know I didn't specify any real budget...I am trying to keep the cost of each pedal under, or around $100 usd. I play mostly metal/prog metal, etc. Think Opeth.
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
Last edited by Guitarbaddie at Aug 12, 2010,
The Br00tz is possible w/ your dirty channel with a boost (I'd recommend a used Keeley TS-9 if you can get one for under $100 or like you said, a TS-9)

I don't see anything wrong with the Morley for your volume pedal (seems solid n' cheap enough).

Look at the GFS Tuner, it's more accurate and only $40 http://www.guitarfetish.com/GFS-Electronics-Digital-Tuner-single-Footpedal-Space-SUPER-BRIGHT_p_1084.html

As for a chorus and a noisegate, check out an Electro-Harmonix Small Clone for chorus (nice and warm, but kinda dark admittedly) and a used ISP Decimator for a noisegate if you can find one (they're.. $130 I think new, so perhaps use the money you saved on the tuner for it).

Hope that helps
Quote by xStratcatx
The Br00tz is possible w/ your dirty channel with a boost (I'd recommend a used Keeley TS-9 if you can get one for under $100 or like you said, a TS-9)

I don't see anything wrong with the Morley for your volume pedal (seems solid n' cheap enough).

Look at the GFS Tuner, it's more accurate and only $40 http://www.guitarfetish.com/GFS-Electronics-Digital-Tuner-single-Footpedal-Space-SUPER-BRIGHT_p_1084.html

As for a chorus and a noisegate, check out an Electro-Harmonix Small Clone for chorus (nice and warm, but kinda dark admittedly) and a used ISP Decimator for a noisegate if you can find one (they're.. $130 I think new, so perhaps use the money you saved on the tuner for it).

Hope that helps

Damn good advice. I was looking at the small clone, looks good for the price. My only concern is the tuner. Is it solid metal, or cheap plastic? I am gigging by the way, and I have borrowed gear and lend out my own gear enough to know that shit does happen.
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
Look at a ts9 or ts808 for boost. If you're looking for something more transparent, get on the list for the timmy. They're actually not that expensive but it is a bit of a wait.

Volume pedals come down to personal pick. I use the dunlop and haven't had any problems with it. I seem to recall that the morely is active? Another popular one is the ernie ball.

I tend to recommend staying off the boss tuners. They're just really mediocre, except for the possible exception of reliability. Some people like the displays.
If you want a solid tuner at a super cheap price, look at the GFS one. I'm using it at the moment, super bright display, true bypass, accurate to +/- 1 cent.
If you want ridiculous accuracy, look at the Sonic research turbo tuner.
If you want really fast tuning, the TCE poly-tune is where it's at.

Chorus really depends on your budget. The small clone is ok, though I'm not really an EHX fan. My favorite budget chorus is the dod fx65. The 460 is great but has a noticeable volume drop. Malekko make a fanastic chorus with the old MN chip, I think it runs 120ish. And if you want to spend more, look for an analogman, cmatmods, red witch empress, retro-sonic, dr. scientist cosmichorus and jam pedals waterfall.

You can pick up an ISP decimator for around 90-100 these days, and is a much better pedalthan the NS-2 imo.

Edit: ^ the GFS tuner is very sturdy. I've been using it live for a while now with now problems.
Last edited by denied at Aug 12, 2010,
Quote by denied
Look at a ts9 or ts808 for boost. If you're looking for something more transparent, get on the list for the timmy. They're actually not that expensive but it is a bit of a wait.

Volume pedals come down to personal pick. I use the dunlop and haven't had any problems with it. I seem to recall that the morely is active? Another popular one is the ernie ball.

I tend to recommend staying off the boss tuners. They're just really mediocre, except for the possible exception of reliability. Some people like the displays.
If you want a solid tuner at a super cheap price, look at the GFS one. I'm using it at the moment, super bright display, true bypass, accurate to +/- 1 cent.
If you want ridiculous accuracy, look at the Sonic research turbo tuner.
If you want really fast tuning, the TCE poly-tune is where it's at.

Chorus really depends on your budget. The small clone is ok, though I'm not really an EHX fan. My favorite budget chorus is the dod fx65. The 460 is great but has a noticeable volume drop. Malekko make a fanastic chorus with the old MN chip, I think it runs 120ish. And if you want to spend more, look for an analogman, cmatmods, red witch empress, retro-sonic, dr. scientist cosmichorus and jam pedals waterfall.

You can pick up an ISP decimator for around 90-100 these days, and is a much better pedalthan the NS-2 imo.

Edit: ^ the GFS tuner is very sturdy. I've been using it live for a while now with now problems.

That's great to hear about the tuner. I didn't feel like paying a ton just for a tuner. What is this Timmy you speak of? Cause I want a heavy, br00tal tone, but would enjoy something transparent as well. And what does it mean that the Morley Volume Plus is, active?
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
Yeah I would definitely recommend the GFS to anyone unless you have specific needs that it doesn't meet.

The Timmy is a Mid gain OD pedal made by Paul Cochrane. You can find pics and reviews all over the net. It is basically a super transparent OD, so it works really well as a boost. Last I checked they were going for 130ish but prices may have risen. There is a waiting list of a few months though, but it's worth it. Ebay resale value is over 200, so it's a good deal either way you look at it.
He doesn't have a website, and is best reached by phone between 7-9pm 615-896-8555. Give him a call, describe your needs, and hear what he has to say.

I'm pretty sure morley volume pedals are active, ie they need a power supply and can be used to boost as well as cut volume. Never used one, don't quote me on it. Most volume pedals are passive, so they can only attenuate your signal and don't need any kind of power.
Quote by denied
Yeah I would definitely recommend the GFS to anyone unless you have specific needs that it doesn't meet.

The Timmy is a Mid gain OD pedal made by Paul Cochrane. You can find pics and reviews all over the net. It is basically a super transparent OD, so it works really well as a boost. Last I checked they were going for 130ish but prices may have risen. There is a waiting list of a few months though, but it's worth it. Ebay resale value is over 200, so it's a good deal either way you look at it.
He doesn't have a website, and is best reached by phone between 7-9pm 615-896-8555. Give him a call, describe your needs, and hear what he has to say.

I'm pretty sure morley volume pedals are active, ie they need a power supply and can be used to boost as well as cut volume. Never used one, don't quote me on it. Most volume pedals are passive, so they can only attenuate your signal and don't need any kind of power.

I don't mind powering the Morley really. I think I will stay away from the Timmy for now, but thanks man. So TS9, TS808, or TS9 keeley mod? I have a few TS9s in my area on CL for $70, one that comes with a 1spot.
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
Quote by xStratcatx

Hope that helps

http://cgi.ebay.com/Ibanez-TS-9-w-Keeley-Baked-Mod-New-Box-TS9-/180536103741?pt=Guitar_Accessories

Hows that look?
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90