Hi everyone. I just uploaded a work in progress that me and the drummer I play with are working on. There are going to be a lot more guitar parts written for it but I was hoping to get some opinions on the song and the recording/eq/mixing/mastering work that I've done so far. I really appreciate anyone who takes the time out to listen let alone respond with your opinions about the song. It is uploaded to my page and is titled Untitled.

The bass track is the only thing that is going to be changed with this version. The track that is on there is the scratch track and we haven't redone it yet.
Something To Think About While You Are Out Tonight was a kick ass tune. I liked it a lot. I enjoyed how there was only screaming in the climatic parts of the song. So many bands scream all throughout songs and it kinda ruins what makes screaming an extreme in songs. You guys pulled it off really well and I also really liked the instrumental. It had some good vibes and the guitar effect sounded really cool. It sort of reminds me of the band "This Will Destroy You". I don't really have any experience in recording otherwise I would give you tips in that haha. Keep recording stuff though. It sounds awesome. I really like it.
It's good, I cant see anything wrong with it; all id say, is that EITS, if youre trying to do an instrumental that has thier influence, start small and calm, and build up. other than that it sounds good. a background clean guitar strumming the chords over the riff in the intro would sond good, even better if it was a 12 string. Either way, a good song, as the other guy said, Something to think about... is an awesome song, i like the vocals, clean no screaming. Sounds good; nice one.
Praise the Z-Dog, my DADDY
Quote by Banjocal
It's good, I cant see anything wrong with it; all id say, is that EITS, if youre trying to do an instrumental that has thier influence, start small and calm, and build up. other than that it sounds good. a background clean guitar strumming the chords over the riff in the intro would sond good, even better if it was a 12 string. Either way, a good song, as the other guy said, Something to think about... is an awesome song, i like the vocals, clean no screaming. Sounds good; nice one.

I didn't mean a complete rip off of EITS. Sorry, I really meant that their music inspired the direction that this song has taken; along with Dredg. I have never thought about using a 12 string on the track but I will definitely do that now! I have a Glen Campbell 12 string Ovation from the mid 70's that sounds absolutely amazing when you finally get it in tune! I do have a regular 6 string acoustic going in the background of the choruses though.

Quote by DrWillumz
Something To Think About While You Are Out Tonight was a kick ass tune. I liked it a lot. I enjoyed how there was only screaming in the climatic parts of the song. So many bands scream all throughout songs and it kinda ruins what makes screaming an extreme in songs. You guys pulled it off really well and I also really liked the instrumental. It had some good vibes and the guitar effect sounded really cool. It sort of reminds me of the band "This Will Destroy You". I don't really have any experience in recording otherwise I would give you tips in that haha. Keep recording stuff though. It sounds awesome. I really like it.

I'm kind of sad about STTAWYOT... I got completely screwed by the guys in that band. The singer and lead guitarist got a shed for us to practice in. When winter came along we practiced in my apt which was hard bc of my neighbors. When it got warm again I wanted to go to the shed again and then they stopped paying their share. I couldn't pay the bill by myself so the stuff I had in there got auctioned by the shed company. Luckily, all of my musical equipment was at my place because that's where we practiced but I did lose a bunch of stuff that I had to put in the shed in order to make room in my apt for practice.

I enjoyed being in the band but I got royally screwed by them and there wouldn't have even been a band if I hadn't let the lead guitarist use one of my amps, and the singer to use my mics and PA. I'm glad it's over with them. They were just a side project anyway and the singer was a whiney 26 year old emo kid. With that over with I can focus more attention on my home studio and my first band that did the instrumental. I've never heard of This Will Destroy You but I will definitely check them out.

Thanks for the input both of you. I really enjoy this song and I only wish that I was good enough at recording to do justice to it.
didn't mean a complete rip off of EITS. Sorry, I really meant that their music inspired the direction that this song has taken; along with Dredg. I have never thought about using a 12 string on the track but I will definitely do that now! I have a Glen Campbell 12 string Ovation from the mid 70's that sounds absolutely amazing when you finally get it in tune! I do have a regular 6 string acoustic going in the background of the choruses though.
----------------------------------------------------

Yeah course not, but even so, it seems kinda full on; maybe double the length of that intro section, and have the first half really laid back nd shizz ^_^

i think what you should do with that guitar, is tune the bass set slightly (ever so) sharp, and the treble set slightly flat. only ever so slightly: i dont know about you, but not even the best amps can recreate a natrual chorus effect imo.

EDIT: okay, jsut rembered a band you might like; theyre shoegazer, but theyre called MEW. theyre Dutch, but they speak flawless english =P http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFjKALF454g this is thier most popular song, but they use many cool devices
Praise the Z-Dog, my DADDY
Last edited by Banjocal at Aug 12, 2010,
Quote by Banjocal
Yeah course not, but even so, it seems kinda full on; maybe double the length of that intro section, and have the first half really laid back nd shizz ^_^

i think what you should do with that guitar, is tune the bass set slightly (ever so) sharp, and the treble set slightly flat. only ever so slightly: i dont know about you, but not even the best amps can recreate a natrual chorus effect imo.

EDIT: okay, jsut rembered a band you might like; theyre shoegazer, but theyre called MEW. theyre Dutch, but they speak flawless english =P http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFjKALF454g this is thier most popular song, but they use many cool devices

I'm not sure that we'll be changing the form of this one now but maybe for future instrumentals we will do a little more experimenting with form. I'd love to get some more polyphonic structure with the guitars. I'll definitely check out the band when i get the chance. I've never messed with tuning to get a chorus effect before. I'll try to do that when I get a chance as well to see what it's like. Thanks for the suggestions.