I have always though that these were cool, like disassembling an effect pedal and putting it in your guitar, but is there really ever a situation where there is a benefit to this? The more I think about it the more it seems like its just a "for teh lulz" kinda thing, especially when you consider that only 1 guitar can ever use that effect now.
no sir away a papaya war is on
Well, if its a midi, you need an operating system with it; only good for live performances really, setting it up is a bitch, so kaoss pads require a lot of patience.

fuzz factories only have 2 of the knobs on the guitar; the rest are still in the pedal down by the shoes. floyd rose is a cool effect lol.

the least awkward to use is a synth pickup, once it is installed, theres not as much messing around with it. as mentioned, dragonforce (prepare for elistists slagging them off) use those sound effects using a floyd rose. some might not consider whammy an effect, but it offers some pretty cool and diverse sounds, so w/e
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
Last edited by Banjocal at Aug 12, 2010,
the only effect ive even attempted in a guitar is a boost which actually worked quite well and chorus which didnt work as well
adding a boost on the guitar was a great idea its kinda like having a lil extra gain
btw i didnt dissasemble a pedal i tried to make my own
Synth Pickup? Please elaborate o.o
Art is Vice. You don't marry it legitimately, you rape it...
-Edgar Degas
The only "effect" I would ever put in a guitar is a preamp. I see very little benefit to building anything else into a guitar. My reasons are as follows:
1. I don't want the extra cavities.
2. Can't use it with other guitars.
3. Probably can't use an AC adapter.
4. It's easier to stop than flip switches on the guitar.
5. Can't fit big effects (like tube overdrive) in easily.
6. If you get tired of that effect, it is still there.

I think a preamp built in is cool. It still has the same controls I want on the guitar (volume and tone). And you can tweak the circuit to that guitar. It's something you wouldn't get tired of and is very helpful to have built in incase you ever have to record or play direct into a PA.
I'd seen those before, I thought you were talking about a typical guitar pickup with synth-effect-type sound.

EDIT: Does that device itself create the synth sound? or does it have to be run into a computer system or something?
-Edgar Degas
Last edited by Tone Deaf at Aug 12, 2010,
Quote by Tone Deaf
I'd seen those before, I thought you were talking about a typical guitar pickup with synth-effect-type sound.

EDIT: Does that device itself create the synth sound? or does it have to be run into a computer system or something?

im not entirely sure...i think you need an operating system, but instead of a computer, i think a pedal setup can be used; i saw a guy using one a while ago, but unfortunately he left before i had the chance to ask. it depends on what type of pickup: whether it is inbuilt or midi.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
I was talking more so of people you see on here putting echos and distortion pedals in there guitars. or one guy put a POD in his IIRC, but yeah synth systems and EQ's make perfect sense to me.

edit: and I believe that a synth pickup simply tells the synthesizer what frequency your playing, it then sends the signal to the pedal which has different presets for what it should do wth that frequency
Last edited by the_perdestrian at Aug 12, 2010,
Boost's and chorus can be very practical. Need a boost for your solo? Flip the switch. I'm thinking of putting one in my build since the pcb's are very small for single transistor boosts.
My Gear:
Schecter Hellraiser FR Special.
EpiG400 lefty w/Dimarzio X2N/ Irongear Hot Slag
Peavey 6505+112 (head)
2x12 Cab w/ WGS v30 / gt65
GFS Tuner
TS-9 (Keeley ish mod)
Dunlop GCB-95 Wah truebypass
ICP Gstring Decimator
i helped someone put a BYOC delay in a jackson, it was awesometastic.

only way it was practical was to be tethered to either a 9v pack of 3 or 4 in parallel, or tethered to the wall, which he does with a freakin super long cable. small hassle for something VERY cool!

Official Aspie member

ANOUNCEMENT: Weird misspellings or words that make no sense? there was a good chance this was sent from my Droid 2 phone.
Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

RIP Dime RIP Michael Jackson
Oh, never mentioned!

Practicality:

If it's run by batteries? You can activate it from anywhere on stage at any time. No need to glue yourself to your pedal board.
-Edgar Degas
i would only do it if i had multiple guitars to play around with, or i was getting them put in at a factory when buying a guitar, i dont trust myself to work on expensive guitars lol
Quote by bj_squeelie
Boost's and chorus can be very practical. Need a boost for your solo? Flip the switch. I'm thinking of putting one in my build since the pcb's are very small for single transistor boosts.

need a boost for your solo? hit the pedal.

Quote by Tone Deaf
Oh, never mentioned!

Practicality:

If it's run by batteries? You can activate it from anywhere on stage at any time. No need to glue yourself to your pedal board.

that is very true. I never really thought of that.
Last edited by the_perdestrian at Aug 13, 2010,
Quote by Banjocal

fuzz factories only have 2 of the knobs on the guitar; the rest are still in the pedal down by the shoes. floyd rose is a cool effect lol.

Wrong. The 3 other pots are changed to trimpots and located within the control cavity of the guitar. They stay in one place whilst that guitar is being used.

The Floyd Rose is hardware, not an "effect" as such. Its the same as any other tremolo bar, and simply bends the strings as you play a note and move it. Used properly, yes, it does sound cool.

Quote by Banjocal
some might not consider whammy an effect, but it offers some pretty cool and diverse sounds, so w/e

Wrong again. Whammy is an effect. The whammy pedal =/= whammy bar from guitar hero. Whammy bar from guitar hero is supposed to be the same as the tremolo bar on some guitars. The whammy pedal is a software based octave shifter pedal which would be next to impossible to install in a guitar since you'd need the expression pedal somewhere. HOWEVER it can be midi controlled using a midi strip or Kaoss pad linked to the Whammy using XLR cables. Not particularly convenient but hey, works for Matt.