I bought a dist-x a while ago as I was sick of my amp having a shit distortion channel.

I just got a HT-5 and although it's great it does need a touch more saturation, which I could get using an OD pedal. Trouble is I've not got a lot of money to play with at the moment so I was wondering whether I could get away with using the Dist-x as a boost (gain on 0, vol on 10) or would I be better off getting something like a bad monkey?

I already run an EQ in the loop to give it some more bottom end so I'm happy with it in that regard.
I was just wondering if anyone had any experience with it. I have tried it but I'm not sure it's doing the job. The problem is probably me though, I know next to nothing about setting an amp up.
You could sell the Dist-X and use the money to buy a dedicated boost - assuming you don't use the Dist-X for anything else.

Otherwise, the Dist-X is Blackstar's most insane distortion so if you do use it as a boost you would have to the gain almost on zero. A bona-fide boost would be much better IMO.
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB
Quote by Emperor's Child
You could sell the Dist-X and use the money to buy a dedicated boost - assuming you don't use the Dist-X for anything else.

Otherwise, the Dist-X is Blackstar's most insane distortion so if you do use it as a boost you would have to the gain almost on zero. A bona-fide boost would be much better IMO.

Thanks. Yeah that's the direction I'm leaning in, it just seems like a compromise using it as something it's really not designed for, especially as I could get a decent chunk of change selling the Dist-x.
Originally Posted by benhaha85
Thanks. Yeah that's the direction I'm leaning in, it just seems like a compromise using it as something it's really not designed for, especially as I could get a decent chunk of change selling the Dist-x.
There are a few decent but cheap boosts out there so you could even have money left over
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB
Quote by Emperor's Child
There are a few decent but cheap boosts out there so you could even have money left over

Any suggestions? I'm new to all this pedal stuff, having previously thought modelling amps would do what I wanted.
Boss SD-1 - It's not perfect but if you do any modding it can be perfect (I have this)
Digitech Bad Monkey - One of Digitech's better pedals but still meh... I would prefer my SD-1
MXR Micro Amp - An great, slightly more expensive boost pedal
BBE Grande Boost - Alternative to the Micro Amp
ZVex Super Hard On - You could try and make one on the cheap?
Blackstar HT-Boost - maybe a trade or second hand one?
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB