I'm obsessed with a sort of delta blues sound (heard on the start of "You shook me" by Led Zeppelin and many Chris Rea tracks) but I have no idea how to go about making guitar sing like that. Can any1 help??
tune to an open tuning (open A, open G or my personal fave open D are common tunings), buy a metal slide (Dunlop do some good'uns) and you're mostly there. You might consider raising the action of your guitar so the strings sit higher away from the fretboard, a lot of slide players do it, but it isn't essential.

Also, check this: http://www.slideplayer.com/articles

Hope it helps
Quote by necrosis1193
Somewhere in a concert hall in Sweden, you have just caused Yngwie Malmsteen physical pain. You also caused him to catch on fire.

Quote by frusciante.ve
I like that new song of theirs that goes all "peeeeeaaaas wiiiill comeeeeee toooo meeeee"

Just because you Seymour Duncan, doesn't mean you Seymour Dunshould
Most of those old delta guys used Brass slides, as did Jimmy. If you wanna get REALLY delta you can go like Son House and use tin strings. You need to raise the action on your bridge a bit, learn which open tuning you like best, and just practice practice practice.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Nice to see this thread, im in the same boat man. Im just getting into slide, but I made the mistake of buying a thick glass slide instead of a metal one.
Gibson Les Paul Traditional - 11
Fender Stratocaster MIM - 04
Fender Mustang - 04
Taylor 214ce - 10
Quote by teamhex
Nice to see this thread, im in the same boat man. Im just getting into slide, but I made the mistake of buying a thick glass slide instead of a metal one.

seconded.

Hmm, well, you want fat strings .13s probs, a high action, and not a curved neck. you wanna brass slide, and i would reccomend you use open D or A, maybe E, but thats a bit of a pain. Open G seems too "country" to me when i use it for slide.

Look into robert johnson, ry cooder, and john lee hooker.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
Quote by Banjocal
seconded.

Hmm, well, you want fat strings .13s probs, a high action, and not a curved neck. you wanna brass slide, and i would reccomend you use open D or A, maybe E, but thats a bit of a pain. Open G seems too "country" to me when i use it for slide.

Well im going to get a brass slide today. Im sure my Fender Acoustic will do the trick. The strings arent to low, but at the same time it still plays great. Im going to try G because I want to learn in my time of dying, which I think is G. I already loved the song, but after watching "It might get loud". I feel I can do it. Im a huge Zep fan and already know alot of their stuff, so hopefully it wont be to hard to get into slide a bit.
Fender Mustang - 04
Taylor 214ce - 10
Quote by teamhex
Well im going to get a brass slide today. Im sure my Fender Acoustic will do the trick. The strings arent to low, but at the same time it still plays great. Im going to try G because I want to learn in my time of dying, which I think is G. I already loved the song, but after watching "It might get loud". I feel I can do it. Im a huge Zep fan and already know alot of their stuff, so hopefully it wont be to hard to get into slide a bit.

open g is awesome; i have it (open Gb to be picky, but i capo a lot) on my banjo at the moment, and its awesome. yeah fat strings sound good, and nice choce on the brass. the ring finger is more comfy for me; just one peice of advise: dont get one thats too big for your finger, because it feels really awkward, unless youre playing it like a steel and lapstyle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5t99bpilCKw check them out; that song uses open g and its pretty funky, ive got a tab for it on here somewhere but the other ones are probaby better. its not delta blues, but as an instrumental, it is kinda funky. Open G is also good because you can play banjo shizz like the deliverance theme, bonnie and clyde, and the scrubs theme tune (yeah thats a banjo baby)

and also, ry cooder can makes some chilling delta sounds with open d: he did the sound track to crossroads and a couple of other films.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Last edited by Banjocal at Aug 12, 2010,
Quote by Banjocal
open g is awesome; i have it (open Gb to be picky, but i capo a lot) on my banjo at the moment, and its awesome. yeah fat strings sound good, and nice choce on the brass. the ring finger is more comfy for me; just one peice of advise: dont get one thats too big for your finger, because it feels really awkward, unless youre playing it like a steel and lapstyle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5t99bpilCKw check them out; that song uses open g and its pretty funky, ive got a tab for it on here somewhere but the other ones are probaby better. its not delta blues, but as an instrumental, it is kinda funky. Open G is also good because you can play banjo shizz like the deliverance theme, bonnie and clyde, and the scrubs theme tune (yeah thats a banjo baby)

and also, ry cooder can makes some chilling delta sounds with open d: he did the sound track to crossroads and a couple of other films.

So should I get a slide thats real tight on my ring finger? Im also trying to figure out what the dampening technique is(did know it exsisted until now)....im thinking thats why all my attempts at slide have failed so far.
Fender Mustang - 04
Taylor 214ce - 10
Quote by teamhex
So should I get a slide thats real tight on my ring finger? Im also trying to figure out what the dampening technique is(did know it exsisted until now)....im thinking thats why all my attempts at slide have failed so far.

damping; lightly rest the fingers that are behind the slide (on the nut/headstock side of the slide) on the strings to prevent them ringing on that side. google slide lessons.

DONT get one too tight; i nearly pulled my finger out of its socket doing that. it ****ing hurts. it needs to be loose, but not TOO loose: ask in the shop, unless its a Guitar Center, they will know what theyre talking about.

you can have it on either your ring or pinkie.

pinkie: PROS: can solo normally with other fingers, can use a smaller slide. CONS: very hard to control, ecspecially if you have a loose slide.

Ring PROS: imo comfier, can use a larger slide, is still pretty dexterous, CONS: is slightly more limiting with other finger.

Mess about: buy a couple: i have several now. find which one you like. if you dont like it at all, play it like a resonator steel.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
If you're looking to get that "hair" or "dirt" in the tone, you'll need some OD or fuzz (of course). You can get those nasty snorts and growls by just letting at least two strings ring together. You'll want your target note to be the one that's highest in pitch (this is important) while the lower note(s) at the same fret provide that sympathetic growl or scream.

Assuming you're new to this, the link that MacMan2001 provided tells you everything you need to know about damping and muting. I also agree that raising the action is not essential. It can make it easier to grab the note(s), but I've seen some of my favorites like Warren Haynes or Derek Trucks throw on a slide in mid-sing and blow my mind without ever switching guitars. So it's apparent that with practice you can get the touch down properly on a guitar that is also set-up for regular chording and picking.
XBOX LIVE Gamertag: Jazz Funeral
Currently killing with The Nunts crew in Max Payne 3

Quote by Weaponized
ON LIGHTNING.
there is a slightly curved brass slide that will match the radius of most electric guitars better than a straight one. dunlop makes it, it's a signature slide, i forget the artist but it's a great slide. it's also tapered so it stays put on your finger.

lemme find a link...

found it, preachin' pipe.

http://www.samash.com/p/285%20Preachin%20Pipe%20Slide%20Large_-49996955
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Last edited by gregs1020 at Aug 12, 2010,
Quote by gregs1020
there is a slightly curved brass slide that will match the radius of most electric guitars better than a straight one. dunlop makes it, it's a signature slide, i forget the artist but it's a great slide. it's also tapered so it stays put on your finger.

lemme find a link...

it also costs over double what a normal one costs; i looked into that last week. £25.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Quote by Banjocal
it also costs over double what a normal one costs; i looked into that last week. £25.

go big or go home i always say.

also, ceramic slides have a nice tone.

or go hardcore and smash a beer bottle and use the neck of the bottle.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
I correct myself....in my time is E not G
Fender Mustang - 04
Taylor 214ce - 10
Quote by teamhex

In My Time of Dying is in Open E.

|----------|---------------|---------------------|
|----------|---------------|-------3s12-(12)-----|
|--------3s|=2-0-2s3s5---0-|-3s2-0-3s12-(12)---3s|
|----------|-----2s3s5---0-|-3s2-0-3s12-(12)---3s|

|---------------|-----------------|
|-2-0-2s3s5---0-|-3---0-(0)---3s==|
|-2-0-2s3s5---0-|-3---0-(0)---3s==|

Quote by Banjocal
seconded.

Really? I find Open E to be the easiest. It's the most 'classic' slide sound as you're used to hearing from the big names like Elmore James and (my personal favorite) Ry Cooder. Thick strings aren't needed, but they certainley help.

Quote by teamhex

I use glass. I like it best.

Who to listen to if you wanna learn Delta Slide:

Son House (The Father of the Delta Blues)
Robert Johnson (The Complete Recordings: Robert Johnson)
Elmore James (The Sky is Crying)
Willy Brown (Not a slide player, but every slideman that plays with him is great.)
Lead Belly (The Best of Lead Belly)
Quote by rooster456

I corrected myself

Quote by teamhex
I correct myself....in my time is E not G

The glass slide I have is big and heavy, iv also got fat fingers so im assuming im stuck with something big and heavy
Fender Mustang - 04
Taylor 214ce - 10
Last edited by teamhex at Aug 13, 2010,
Quote by teamhex

The glass slide I have is big and heavy, iv also got fat fingers so im assuming im stuck with something big and heavy

Choosing a slide is all about personal preference, and nothing else. If you've got big fingers, but prefer playability to size and tone, then get a thin slide. They make really thin glass ones, it's just that super thin brass ones are far more popular.

Brass tends to be trebly and loud. It's the Telecaster of slides.
Glass tends to be warm and smooth. It's the Les Paul of slides.

All types come in different sizes. Just play around and find out which one you like best.
To TS, you should expand what you're listening to. Keep that Zep sound you want in mind but remember who started delta blues and listen to them: "po' itererate black men in the Mississippi delta."
Muddy Waters, John lee Hooker, Robert Johnson, Ben Harper, and Lightnin' Hopkins (ok he's a Texas boy)

Play it like those guys would: find an acoustic guitar and a cheap slide, or a bottle
To me it seems a lot easier to learn on an acoustic, and I've seen a few guys playing slide with the beer frothing over their hand, and it still sounded good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYrVwGxlcFA
You don't even need the slide for a lot of the good stuff man.

Everything Can Be Beaten
Last edited by BrekfastoChumps at Aug 13, 2010,
Quote by MacMan2001
tune to an open tuning (open A, open G or my personal fave open D are common tunings), buy a metal slide (Dunlop do some good'uns) and you're mostly there. You might consider raising the action of your guitar so the strings sit higher away from the fretboard, a lot of slide players do it, but it isn't essential.

Also, check this: http://www.slideplayer.com/articles

Hope it helps

Thanx for the link, it was really useful!
Quote by rooster456

Slow down, man. In My Time of Dying is definitely Open A (aka Open G raised 2 half-steps). My Led Zep guitar music book agrees! Don't judge, it was 75% off.
'08 Fender Deluxe Blackout Telecaster
'08 Squier Jagmaster w/ 2 DiMarzio PAFs (DP103/DP223)
'91 Seagull S6 CW Acoustic/Electric
Fender Super Champ XD
Digitech Whammy WH-4
EHX Big Muff Pi (NYC)
Danelectro Fish n Chips EQ