I'm looking for a new guitar, it will be my second I've been playing for nearly two years, and I've narrowed it down to either a Fender Deluxe Players Strat (mexican) or a PRS SE Custom 22 or 24 or a 25th anniversary PRS SE Custom 24

The style of music I play is Pink Floyd/Led Zep/Eagles that type of stuff.
Not sure what I should get as at my local store I can get both around the same price range I was looking in.

Any insight into my problem would be great.
Try them both out and get the one you prefer to play and like the tone of
For the price of a PRS se, you could get an american strat.
Quote by santa_man99
THANK you. I love you forever.

Quote by DrFuzz
Why are you researching for Christmas? It's only Ma- HOLY CRAP WHERE'S 2009 GONE!?!?!?

Quote by ilikepirates
You're right, that is weird. You win.
Both great guitars, down to prefference really. But I'd say the PRS is more versitile, and I'd have that, but I am a Tele man myself.
Quote by jk2034
Not sure what I should get as at my local store I can get both around the same price range I was looking in.

Here's your answer if you ask me, if they're both available at your local store, they're both available for you to try out and choose between one or the other. If you can, ask if they'd mind you A/B'ing between them for an hour or so, and choose for yourself, eventually one should feel more 'right' than the other.
i would say the mahogany body of the prs would be better for what you want to play, but if you do look at the prs look at an american special strat rather than a mexican
Well, David Gilmour used a Strat for the majority of the Floyd records, with some notable exceptions (for example, the solo on 'Another Brick in the Wall (Part 2)' was done on a Les Paul) and so that's a good place to start. Having said that, his enormous collection of customised effects had a lot to do with the sound as well.

If I was you, I'd go the Strat.
Marshall amplifiers are the truest purveyors of rock and roll known to man.

"And give a man an amplifier and a synthesizer, and he doesn't become whoever, you know. He doesn't become us."

Holy crap, check this out!
Pink Floyd: David Gilmour used a Strat.
Led Zeppelin: Jimmy Page recorded their first album on a Telecaster.
The Eagles: Joe Walsh used a Strat.

I don't see PRS there anywhere, do you?
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Quote by rooster456
Pink Floyd: David Gilmour used a Strat.
Led Zeppelin: Jimmy Page recorded their first album on a Telecaster.
The Eagles: Joe Walsh used a Strat.

I don't see PRS there anywhere, do you?

No shit PRS was founded in 1985
I have the Deluxe Players Strat and its a great guitar. Should fit you wonderfully. Ive played the SE's, and while I will still recommend them, I just thought they were thin sounding for a single cut humbuckered guitar.
2012 Gibson Les Paul Custom Classic
2001 Schecter C-1 Classic
2007 Yamaha APX500
Vox AC15CC1 w/ Eminence Tonkerlite
Assorted Pedals!

All for sale!

Call me Matt!
Quote by Icehawk217

good one.

it does make you wonder though, since all those guys now own a prs or two. what would they have played if prs was around much earlier.

also, a used prs se guitar is about $300, whereas a USA fender usually sells used for twice that.

i'm a huge prs fanboi, but for what you are looking for i'd say a strat would suit you better honestly.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Go play them both and see which you prefer. I have both and love both for different things.
ESP Stef B8 CS
.strandberg* Boden OS7
Suhr Modern Satin
Gibson Les Paul Traditional Pro II
Washburn N7
PRS SE245
LTD Alexi-600
Warmoth Fr00tcaster
Ibanez RG1XXV
Fender Strat
Jackson Dinky Rev
Agile AL-2500

Peavey 5150
Yamaha THR10x
Honestly, for that artist roster I'd suggest a tele as the #1 option. A strat with a tele bridge pickup would my second choice. A conventional strat would be #3. The PRS would need coil taps IMO.
GMW hot-rod telecaster
GMW soloist
PRS Custom 24
The Illegal Les Paul
CAE 3+SE
Soldano SM-100R
Splawn 4x12

“Life is on the wire…the rest is just waiting” - Papa Wallenda
Substitute the stage for the wire, and he's got it.
People need to stop using Jimmy Page playing a telecaster on the first album as indicative that telecasters are good for Led Zeppelin's sound.

Page used a les paul as his primary guitar for 7 albums (along with various guitars here and there), and then he used a fuzzed out telecaster that sounded like a les paul on one.
Quote by Slashestranged
What does fuzzes out mean? How'd he make it sound like a Les Paul

Tele bridge pickups actually sound somewhat similar to a LP when they're both distorted, which is surprising given that they're totally different pickup types.
GMW hot-rod telecaster
GMW soloist
PRS Custom 24
The Illegal Les Paul
CAE 3+SE
Soldano SM-100R
Splawn 4x12

“Life is on the wire…the rest is just waiting” - Papa Wallenda
Substitute the stage for the wire, and he's got it.
Last edited by Even Bigger D at Aug 12, 2010,
Quote by Slashestranged
What does fuzzes out mean? How'd he make it sound like a Les Paul
Go listen to You Shook Me, Dazed and Confused and How Many More Times from the first LZ album.
Last edited by al112987 at Aug 12, 2010,
Quote by Icehawk217

Didn't know that. Good one, bro.
Both are decent guitars, but I'd go for the the PRS
Simply because I think for the money, it better then a Mexican stat
They versatile enough to handle all them bands
Try them both out and see what you like.
Quote by al112987
People need to stop using Jimmy Page playing a telecaster on the first album as indicative that telecasters are good for Led Zeppelin's sound.

Page used a les paul as his primary guitar for 7 albums (along with various guitars here and there), and then he used a fuzzed out telecaster that sounded like a les paul on one.

Really? I thought he got his first LP in '70, and I heard Stairway was done on his Tele, though I could be wrong...anyways, I'd probably go with the Strat, but it all depends on which one you think feels better. Tone can be fixed if it's not utterly horrid, but the feel of a guitar can't really be fixed without possibly messing up your guitar permanently.
Quote by SlayingDragons
Nah, I prefer to tune lower. My tunings usually go into weird Hebrew symbols.
Quote by Enix165
Really? I thought he got his first LP in '70, and I heard Stairway was done on his Tele, though I could be wrong...anyways, I'd probably go with the Strat, but it all depends on which one you think feels better. Tone can be fixed if it's not utterly horrid, but the feel of a guitar can't really be fixed without possibly messing up your guitar permanently.
no he was playing his les paul by mid-'69 and it shows up a ton on LZ II. Stairway was recorded with a ton of different guitars, what I believe was a Fender 12-string, his Gibson les paul and the telecaster was used for the solo.
I had almost the same dilemma laid out before me when I bought my electric. I was stuck between an American Highway 1 Strat and a PRS SE Custom 24. I went to Guitar Center, tried 'em both out, and ended up going with the Strat. I liked the sound more, and the neck felt much more natural.

But seriously though, it all boils down to how you feel after you test them both out yourself.
Gotta finish my work, then play some grooves, so I can turn my room into a house of blues...
Quote by al112987

Yeah, because, "Good Times Bad Times," "Babe I'm Gonna Leave You," "Dazed And Confused," and, "Communication Breakdown," aren't indicative to the LZ sound, right?
Quote by rooster456
Yeah, because, "Good Times Bad Times," "Babe I'm Gonna Leave You," "Dazed And Confused," and, "Communication Breakdown," aren't indicative to the LZ sound, right?

well they are one LZ sound, but imo there are so many that no one tone can be considered "the LZ" tone.

plus live everything sounded different.

his studio amps also played a big roll.

i think close enough is the best you can do with LZ. a good p-90 can also hit some LZ type tones.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Last edited by gregs1020 at Aug 12, 2010,
Try them both and see which you like more. Personally, I'd go for a strat but an american one, not the mexican one because as other people said, for the price of a prs se you could get an american strat. But they're both really nice guitars so just wee what you like more.
Gear:

Squier Tele Custom ii (p90 version)

Orange Crush 10

Fender CD140S
Quote by Icehawk217

Quote by SG_dave at #33549256
I've never wanted to see a guy eat dick so much in my life.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7 at #33553650
If you are white, you are scum.
Quote by guitarwalrus
Try them both and see which you like more. Personally, I'd go for a strat but an american one, not the mexican one because as other people said, for the price of a prs se you could get an american strat. But they're both really nice guitars so just wee what you like more.

+1

The best, and only, way to decide which guitar you want is to enter a shop and play them. Whichever guitar has the preferred sound you want, and plays nice, is the guitar you should buy.
Especially when the two guitars you're looking at will perform pretty well for the music you play.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
Quote by Enix165

he had a les paul custom throughout the 60's which featured on almost all his studio work.. (may have been used to record whole lotta love aswell)