I've been looking around quite a bit for the best guitar under $1000 and it seems like the most common suggestion for a guitar that's good value at this price range is the Martin D15. I really like the look of this guitar and I've looked around youtube and it sounds very nice.

I'm just wondering if this guitar would be good for a singer songwriter. I've mainly just heard good things about it in terms of fingerpicking.

Also, how would I go about actually purchasing the guitar? I don't really trust online sites, and I've never been to a guitar store before (I own a cheap laminate guitar that my parents bought for me). People say every guitar sounds different even if its the same model, so if I were to try out the D15, would they give me a new one to try out in case I decide to buy it? Also, research tells me that the factory settings means the action is a bit too high. Can I tell the store to adjust it for me straight away? How much would this cost?

Sorry for the long post and the the questions, im really tired at the moment but I'm just reallllly keen to get a new guitar!

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
I would also check out Taylor guitars, lots of people rag on them but i bought the 214ce for $1000 and my freind returned his $3000 martin after he played mine.

But definately play the acoustic your going to buy, as said before, it makes a huge difference even with the same models.

Also go to multiple stores and check out multiple guitars, then come back and try them again. It took me about 3 months to find the acoustic i was looking for and i visited as many stores as possible, as well as repeat visits.

goodluck with your future acoustic
spend a few days - i spent weeks - playing every guitar you can get your hands on. i'd suggest you check out the guild GAD series as they're well made with nice finishes and all solid. i love the way they sound, and they make a bunch in your price range, including at least a couple with 1 3/4" nuts, nice for fingerstyle. i also recommend blueridge guitars, especially their A series if you're looking for a wider 1 3/4" nut.

i buy online from a number of stores. when i wasn't happy with purchases from americanmusical and musiciansfriend, they were quick to let me exchange or return, and if you call or email them they'll arrange to pay for shipping. all i told ams was i didn't like the guitar - they were great. all the larger stores have very friendly policies on exchanges/returns as long as the guitar isn't damaged.

a lot of stores offer free setups, but in some cases they may not do the best job. still, probably better than before they worked on them.

although he has a much shorter return policy, maury's music is a good place to buy martins and blueridge guitars if you're in the u.s. his prices are very good, and he not only inspects each guitar, but can do a setup before sending it out.
Thanks for the great suggestions, I'll definately have a long task ahead trying out the different models, especially now that I've been told that the D15s are now constructed using sapele rather than mahogany which was what really drew me to it in the first place with its mellow, dark sound.

Would it be advisable to buy a guitar that was made at an earlier date? I've heard that aged wood really improves sound.

Also, I live in Australia, and I haven't heard of any reputable online stores like there are in the U.S.
while many people like the sound of older guitars, i very much prefer the sound of new guitars. i also prefer the guild GAD-25 to the martin d15, but that's just personal preference.
when an item on Musiciansfriend is, say s399c99(USD), would they actually add another 40USD (10% tax)???
Yeah. But the same can be said for DAR amps and other amps which use "weird" tubes...dammit I want a pair of KT120s..I might blow up my amp and burn my house down, but at least I'll go out in a blaze of glory
Quote by sophistical
I've been looking around quite a bit for the best guitar under $1000 and it seems like the most common suggestion for a guitar that's good value at this price range is the Martin D15. I really like the look of this guitar and I've looked around youtube and it sounds very nice.

I'm just wondering if this guitar would be good for a singer songwriter. I've mainly just heard good things about it in terms of fingerpicking.

Also, how would I go about actually purchasing the guitar? I don't really trust online sites, and I've never been to a guitar store before (I own a cheap laminate guitar that my parents bought for me). People say every guitar sounds different even if its the same model, so if I were to try out the D15, would they give me a new one to try out in case I decide to buy it? Also, research tells me that the factory settings means the action is a bit too high. Can I tell the store to adjust it for me straight away? How much would this cost?

Sorry for the long post and the the questions, im really tired at the moment but I'm just reallllly keen to get a new guitar!

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

considering that this guitar is made as falows: mahogany Body, Neck, & Top / rosewood Fretboard & Nut. I assume this must be the sound you are specifically attracted too, try searching for other acoust. gtrs with this same wood scheme...

try this one: http://www.amazon.com/Espana-Classical-Acoustic-Electric-Guitar-Mahogany/dp/B000H3XF52 the only difference here (besides maybe the looks) is the Cedar Top instead of Mahogany Top. Taylor Baby gtrs seem to fragile according to some reviews (fiy).
Yeah. But the same can be said for DAR amps and other amps which use "weird" tubes...dammit I want a pair of KT120s..I might blow up my amp and burn my house down, but at least I'll go out in a blaze of glory
woahh i've been looking around shops and they sell the d15 at like $1300?? I thought it was like $800.

Might look into Larrivee now :/
guitar center, musicians friend, sam ash and the rest sell it for under a grand. and if you contact maury's music, chances are they'll offer you a lower price as they have to list at MAP but tend to offer better deals to customers who ask.

if you want to check out some great larrivee prices, look at the stock at http://www.laguitarsales.com/pages/3040/mfg/10/ and email ted for a price. he offered me an awesome deal on a santa cruz, and he always has great prices.

Quote by sophistical
woahh i've been looking around shops and they sell the d15 at like $1300?? I thought it was like $800.

Might look into Larrivee now :/
Thanks for the site, had a look around and its got a great range. unfortunately it's based in L.A.

I live in Sydney Australia.

:/