Page 1 of 2
For example, let's suppose you like to play in D standard and drop C. Do you get by fine having one guitar setup with one set of gauges that plays well in both tunings? Or do you have two guitars, with one optimally set up for each tuning with different string gauges?

Sorry if that's confusing.
My guitar for standard E has a floyd rose. So changing tunnings would be too much of a pain. But my other guitar I change from B to drop D. But I'd like to get another guitar so I can have one guitar setup for really low tunnings and the other for higher tunnings.
MY GEAR:
PRS SE Custom 24
Jackson DKA7
Gibson Explorer
MESA/Boogie Express 5:25
BOSS GT-100

BOSS TU-2
Dunlop Cry Baby Classic
BOSS NS-2
VOX Joe Satriani Ice 9 OD Pedal
VOX Joe Satriani Time Machine Delay Pedal
Ernie Ball Strings
V Picks
Yep. I have a Schecter C-1 in E standard, while my RG is set to C#.
R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio. Supplied amazing music to both me and my mother.

He will be missed.
I use two guitars for 4 tunings.

I have my V in D standard, and also use it for drop C

I have my 7 in drop A, but also use it for B standard. Thank the lord for ZPS.
ProTone Pedals: Attack Overdrive
Fractal Audio: AxeFX 2
Engl: Fireball 60
Zilla: Fatboy 2x12
Carvin: DC700
Carvin: Vader 7
Schecter: KM-7 MKii
Schecter: Banshee 8 Passive
Jackson: DK2M
Aye.

My M-200 is in drop C#, my V-50 is in either drop C#, C standard, drop A# or drop B, and my Ibanez is in D# standard.

My main tuning is Drop C#, as you can see.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
No. I have my Tele which has .9's and my LP which has .11's in E standard but I drop tune them every now and then to Drop D, Half-Step down and Drop C#
Quote by Carmel
Lucky I'm a girl and I don't give a damn.

Quote by darkwolf291

I've seen her kill a man with a spork and a rubber band
No one is safe from the wrath of Batgirl!
Most people don't, mostly because of the cost of having multiple quality guitars.

It is ideal to have a specific guitar designated and setup for an alternate tuning. If your guitar is setup for E standard, there is a good chance that your intonation will be F*cked in D standard.
"Swords, nature's hell sticks."- Trip Fisk
Hehe...i have one guitar, for standard, drop d, drop c# drop c and drop b and the odd drop a....with 2 sets of strings 9's and 11's. The 11's can handle all those tunings with my edge III, the 9's i like for blues for the ease of bending.
Not for drop tunings, its a bit pointless when you can go from standard to drop tuning in 3 seconds. (Unless you have a locking bridge/nut.)

I have a guitar in C# standard though.
Well, I am mainly asking because I plan on playing in mainly D standard and Eb standard, but I will have 3 guitars total, so I'm trying to think of a good use for the third guitar and if having it in drop C would even be any better than just using my D standard guitar and dropping the sixth string when I want to play in drop C. Thoughts?

Quote by beckyjc
Not for drop tunings, its a bit pointless when you can go from standard to drop tuning in 3 seconds. (Unless you have a locking bridge/nut.)

I have a guitar in C# standard though.

Well, two of my guitars (the ones I'm thinking of putting in D standard and drop C) are locked/FR bridges actually, but I plan on probably blocking the tremolo on one of them, so that technically should make tuning from D to drop C almost just as quick and easy as with a hardtail, right? Now I wonder if I even have a use for this third guitar!
Last edited by eveningninja at Aug 12, 2010,
I only got one guitar and it's in C Standard. I'm thinking of getting a Tele for E Standard.
Even if you only really use two guitars, it's never bad to have a backup. My Ibanez is my backup. Even though it's in D# standard, if either of my LTD's failed me, I could block my Ibanez's trem and tune it to whatever. I've done this before.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I have my RG for Drop C, D standard, and C# standard, and my GAX70 (which will hopefully be replaced with a PRS within the next year) for standard, drop D, and Eb standard.
Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
The grandmother is having a baby with her grandson, so the grandson will be his own fathers father, the baby will be his own grandfather, and grandson, and the grandmother will be the mother, and great grandmother?

Quote by TheBurningFish
ಠ_ಠ
Quote by eveningninja
Well, I am mainly asking because I plan on playing in mainly D standard and Eb standard, but I will have 3 guitars total, so I'm trying to think of a good use for the third guitar and if having it in drop C would even be any better than just using my D standard guitar and dropping the sixth string when I want to play in drop C. Thoughts?

Well, two of my guitars (the ones I'm thinking of putting in D standard and drop C) are locked/FR bridges actually, but I plan on probably blocking the tremolo on one of them, so that technically should make tuning from D to drop C almost just as quick and easy as with a hardtail, right? Now I wonder if I even have a use for this third guitar!

As long as you leave the nut unlocked and do a good job blocking it.

If your only blocking it to get drop tunings maybe consider a D tuna.

http://www.dtuna.com/
I had an Epiphone Explorer that I used for drop tunings. It was cool because I didn't have to constantly and drastically change tunings. I didn't have as much fret buzz on my guitars either since they all stay relatively close to what I have them set up for. Now that I don't use drop tunings or have as many guitars, I don't really have specific guitars for tuning.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by beckyjc
As long as you leave the nut unlocked and do a good job blocking it.

If your only blocking it to get drop tunings maybe consider a D tuna.

http://www.dtuna.com/

Would you still have to adjust the springs/truss rod with use of the D tuna?
Last edited by eveningninja at Aug 12, 2010,
I wouldn't get a D tuna, for something that I can so in less than a second. I think its a waste of money.
Quote by zincabopataurio
I wouldn't get a D tuna, for something that I can so in less than a second. I think its a waste of money.

Well some people like to lock their tremolo systems. When you lock your trem, you cant tune the strings from the headstock without unclamping them. To do so would require allen keys and would probably take more than a second.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
I use .12s for both my guitars, one of whom is in Standard and the other is in D Standard.
Quote by SlayingDragons
Nah, I prefer to tune lower. My tunings usually go into weird Hebrew symbols.
I play three tunings, e, eb, and drop d. I have three guitrs but I just pick up a random guitar and tune it to whatever I want since those tunings are so close o each other.
Yep...its much easier that way; you can have the tuning, intonation, string gauges, etc. setup for each tuning.

My main guitar, an Ibanez SZ320 is setup for drop C/d standard, my RG is my main backup and is setup for drop d/e standard. flying v setup for C# standard/drop b, Agile baritone setup in b standard/drop a, 7-string in a standard/drop g, 8-string setup for f standard.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Well some people like to lock their tremolo systems. When you lock your trem, you cant tune the strings from the headstock without unclamping them. To do so would require allen keys and would probably take more than a second.

Fine tuners. You can change from E to D with the fine tuners.
Quote by BobDetroit
Directions:
Unplug keyboard.
Place it in your butt so you can't post anymore.

Quote by Fadetoblack5:03
You deserve some form of awesome reward, but I'm to lazy. Imagine the rest of these:

Yeah i have 3 guitars with locking trems though. All in standard atm but about the put 2 down to e flat i think due to starting a 80s rock style project with my friend. I have my schecter for alternate tunings.
i have my Schecter for Drop C and below. then i have my Fender for E standard, drop D, and drop C# (very rarely).
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"
As if drop tunings are the only alternative type of tuning.

But yeah, I can't stand changing tunings, setting the guitar up for it again, etc. I've got one guitar for Drop C#, one guitar for Drop D, one for Eb Standard, one in D Standard with a vibrato, one guitar in E Standard with a fixed bridge and one in E Standard with a vibrato bridge. That way I've got everything covered, more or less. Next up is going to be a seven string, a guitar in Eb Standard with a vibrato and another guitar in Drop C#.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
I have my Luna tuned a half step down, on my eclipse I jump back and forth between standard and drop d, my ltd f-400fm is in standard, and so is my michael kelly patriot glory, my EC100 is tuned to drop C, my ltd ax2e is tuned b standard and my prs paul allender is still in standard but I haven't decided what I want to set it up for yet.
It's nice to be able to just grab a guitar, make sure it's tuned up and start playing no matter what tuning I'm playing. It's definitely more convenient if you're musical interest is all over the place.
ibanez pgm301 - E standard
ibanez rg8570 - C# standard
schecter blackjack - drop C
schecter hellraiser c-7 - drop G#
My EC-1000 is always between Drop B and Drop C, my Strat changes all the time, and my SG is always between Drop C# and standard.
Quote by Snowman388
I don't sh*t money.

Also, this. I use my Schecter for everything.
Quote by BobDetroit
Directions:
Unplug keyboard.
Place it in your butt so you can't post anymore.

Quote by Fadetoblack5:03
You deserve some form of awesome reward, but I'm to lazy. Imagine the rest of these:

if you're only tuning one string down, then definalty one guitar. you can tune down to low tunings on one, but sometimes the strings take a little to settle, and then it just gets annoying. if you're gigging, then definatly 2 guitars.
"The most important thing about music is energy and emotion, not how well you can play. Technique should be a tool to achieve your vision, not the other way around."
-Jeff Tuttle

More guitar, less ultimate-guitar!
One for C# standard and another for Standard and maybe drop D if I'm playing a cover.
ESP Eclipse Standard Series W/ PRS Santana II Pickups
PRS SE Soapbar II
Peavey 5150 120w Head
Avatar 412 Traditional Cab(v30's+G12H30's)
Malekko, Rocktron, T-Rex and MXR/Dunlop pedals
I play in 2 tunings: Standard and New Standard (C-G-D-A-E-G), and I have different guitars for each.

For Standard, I have a:

For New Standard Tuning, I have a:

Saves me a lot of time tuning and minimizes wear on the strings themselves.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by dannyalcatraz
I play in 2 tunings: Standard and New Standard (C-G-D-A-E-G), and I have different guitars for each.

For Standard, I have a:

For New Standard Tuning, I have a:

Saves me a lot of time tuning and minimizes wear on the strings themselves.

New Standard? is that some kinda new tuning the kids are using these days?
I have one guitar for E and another for B (and whatever I capo up to). I’ve been thinking about getting another for D (ok, I really just need an excuse to get more guitars) although I’ll probably just wait for the update that’s coming to the Variax guitars and start using that to cover a lot of tunings without much messing around.
Quote by Arterial
New Standard? is that some kinda new tuning the kids are using these days?

Not really- it was invented (or rediscovered, depending on who you talk to) by Robert Fripp back in the 1970s, as I recall. It is the tuning he uses for 90%+ of his music, and is what he teaches in his Guitar Craft classes.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Eclipse II QM: Standard and drop D
Eclipse II: D and drop C
Horizon NT II: D# and drop C#
Dellinger: C# and drop B

None of them have locking trems. It's more of a string gauge/overall setup thing.
Quote by lizarday
oh yeah? well larry king the slayer guitarist owns bc rich guitars. (i think)
I have a Davison 7 string lefty which i keep in B standard so i use it for E standard and B
it has a Floyd do i do not change tunings as im happy with B enough.

and a Douglas Hollowbody. I use it for anything from E standard to C standard. Drop D to Double Drop B
People in the pit take my post way too seriously.

MyAnimeList
7-String Legion

If you have a question PM me and I will always get back to you.
Page 1 of 2