Hello everyone, I am looking around for a new amp and I found another amp to ask u guys annoying questions about. It is the Marshall MA50C, and by the reviews it looks pretty good. As u might know I was originally gonna get the Jet City 20 Watt combo, but I dont think it will be powerful enough for what I'm looking for for, and I couldn't find the 50 watt version anywhere. As for the MA50C the reviews look good and if u guys could offer any advice or suggestions it woudl be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Oh and also, I know that all these threads must be getting annoying but I'm only trying to get the best amp I can. I have to work really hard for any money I get and I dont want to blow it on an amp thats not right for me.

Jay Turser: JT-134DC
Epiphone: G-400
Gibson: SG Special Faded Cherry

Line 6: Spider III 15-watt
Marshall Haze 40

DOD FX65 Chorus
Danelectro Fish & Chips EQ
EH4800 Small Stone Phase Shifter
Dunlop CryBaby Wah
Deltalab Tube Overdrive TO1
is mic'ing up the jc20 not an option?
Ibanez Rg570EX
-Nailbomb & Liquifire
ENGL screamer 50
Dynacomp-TS9/808-OCD-Phase 90-Small Clone.
20 watts is loud enough, the MA is meh compared to the Jet City
Well I could Mic' the JCA20 but I would really like to have the option of being loud enough without it, reason being-my band is kinda retarded and were not gigging yet but were planning to be soon, and I don't know what kind of crappy PA system we might get. I know it wont be a problem if were playing a venue that has it's own PA system, but i would like the extra power if were playing something informal without a PA . I know there is a 50Watt Jet City model but I can't find it anywhere, so I thought this 50Watt Marshall is the next best option.
I know people who've gigged with unmiced JCA20s - its a MUCH better sounding amp than the Marshall, and if you do start gigging at first you'll only be playing tiny venues - and as soon as you get to a point where the Jet City is too quiet there'll be a resonable PA - trust me, the JCA20 is a good choice... If you're worried about volume buy the head and 2x12", and if it gets too quiet you can save for another 2x12" and gig with it.
50 watts is loud man. You will never have the master up past half at a gig unless you're outside or something! Most venues will not let you crank up a 50 watt amplifier. It's not practical

20 watts means you can get a bit of power tube saturation going and your sound will sound much better than an MA50c with it's master on 1.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
20 watts in a tube amp is plenty loud. The MA sounds dreadful by comparison anyway.
Quote by MightyAl
I took a pic of myself, cut a hole in the face and stuck my knob through so i could see what I'd look like if I got bitten by a radioactive elephant.
Ugh.... I've heard no good about the MA series. My understanding is that Jim Marshall just barfed up another one of his 'affordable tube sound' lines... Though they're genuinely valve-powered, it's barely a step up from the Valvestates which are just above the MGs. I haven't experienced one firsthand, but I don't have high hopes for it, seeing as Marshall hasn't released anything worth buying since the JVMs (though I'll admit I've heard a few good things about the Class 5).

As far as wattage goes, a 20W tube combo is plenty loud. It'll sound better at lower volumes anyway because of the earlier breakup. Also, Jet City's are just typically better than any of the newer low-range Marshalls.
Standard Strat
Jackson WRMG
Parker DF724

Axe-Fx Standard
Carvin DCM1000L

Mesa Trad. Slant Recto 4x12 (UK V30s)
Custom Horiz. 2x12 (Commonwealth 12s)
hmm, not heard anything good about the MA series
and the jca 20 would be totally out of the question if you need an independant clean channel

few quick questions to help everyone out
1) What's your max budget?
2)what genres of music do you play?
3)are you willing to go used?
4)where are you located?
sorry if you have answered these in any of your other threads, I just cba looking them up
Quote by Led Dirigible
Crickets have too much high end for my tastes. I prefer a nice beetle, lots of warm low end.

tl;dr put a beetle in your amp for superior toanz.

Guitars: Schecter C-1 Classic
Westfeild LP e4500
Amp: Vox AD15VT
I'd probably just go for the JCA20C if it were me. Sure, it doesn't have a second channel, but thats what a volume knob is for.
AMP:
5150 combo
GSP1101 + Tech 21 PE60

GUITARS:
ESP LTD M-255 w/ SD Full Shred
Kramer Vanguard w/ JE-1000 active preamp
Douglas WF-150sn w/ GFS "Hot Lead" set

EFFECTS:
Bos SD-1 (boost)
AMT DT-2

My Youtube Vids http://youtube.com/user/mogar
Last edited by mogar at Aug 12, 2010,
Quote by Rapter-paul
hmm, not heard anything good about the MA series
and the jca 20 would be totally out of the question if you need an independant clean channel

few quick questions to help everyone out
1) What's your max budget?
2)what genres of music do you play?
3)are you willing to go used?
4)where are you located?
sorry if you have answered these in any of your other threads, I just cba looking them up

1 I guess like $1000
2 Mainly Punk rock, hard and classic rock,and some metal
3 If I can get a good deal then sure
4 NJ

I would also need a clean channel tho for some stuff

Marshall Haze 40

DOD FX65 Chorus
Dunlop CryBaby Wah
bump

Marshall Haze 40

DOD FX65 Chorus
Dunlop CryBaby Wah
Maybe check out an Egnater Rebel 30. They cover a lot of ground and sound pretty good to boot. You will have to boost it to get some chunk out of it for metal though.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by smmSTV
1 I guess like $1000
2 Mainly Punk rock, hard and classic rock,and some metal
3 If I can get a good deal then sure
4 NJ

I would also need a clean channel tho for some stuff

For 1K you can do much better than a JC20 or MA50. I'm no expert on the amps suitable for your genres but I'm positive that you can find something better since both those amps are about half the price (more like a third for the Jet City). Maybe see about a used Mesa Mark III or IV?
Quote by Shabadoo
For 1K you can do much better than a JC20 or MA50. I'm no expert on the amps suitable for your genres but I'm positive that you can find something better since both those amps are about half the price (more like a third for the Jet City). Maybe see about a used Mesa Mark III or IV?

You won't get a Mark IV for 1000 bucks nor will you be able to find a Mark III for around that. And if you do, you'll still need a cabinet. The Mark IV combos I see go for around $1400-1500 bones.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
The MA series amps arn't even worth looking at if you want a serious tube amp in my opinion.

The Jet City is pretty cool, and a 20watt tube amp is probably ALOT louder than you think.

I have a 50watt tube amp, if I turn the master up past half way on the dirty channel, it actually hurts to stand near it. In rehersals with a full band, I don't turn it up past a third of the way ever.

As someone else said, when you start gigging, you'll be playing small venues, in rooms that arn't packed out, and a 20watt tube amp will easily be loud enough. If/when you get past that point and you start playing big places that hold lots of people, they'll definatly have their own PA system and so again you'll definatly be loud enough. The only thing is, if you want loads of perfectly clean headroom, 20watts might be slightly low, but it will more than likely be fine.

And yeah also, the MA sounds awful compared.

I'm not in America, but surely someone here can direct TS to a site where they sell the 50watt Jet City.
"In modern music, a lot of people are really stuck on the example, asif it were the idea. It takes millions of examples to articulate an idea, so don't get stuck on the f*cking example." - Joshua Homme, 2008.
Quote by FuzzLove
The MA series amps arn't even worth looking at if you want a serious tube amp in my opinion.

The Jet City is pretty cool, and a 20watt tube amp is probably ALOT louder than you think.

I have a 50watt tube amp, if I turn the master up past half way on the dirty channel, it actually hurts to stand near it. In rehersals with a full band, I don't turn it up past a third of the way ever.

As someone else said, when you start gigging, you'll be playing small venues, in rooms that arn't packed out, and a 20watt tube amp will easily be loud enough. If/when you get past that point and you start playing big places that hold lots of people, they'll definatly have their own PA system and so again you'll definatly be loud enough. The only thing is, if you want loads of perfectly clean headroom, 20watts might be slightly low, but it will more than likely be fine.

And yeah also, the MA sounds awful compared.

I'm not in America, but surely someone here can direct TS to a site where they sell the 50watt Jet City.

I don't think they are for sale yet. Around here I've only seen the 20 watter and the 100 watter.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I guess this is a stupid question but does the JCA20 have an FX loop?

Marshall Haze 40

DOD FX65 Chorus
Dunlop CryBaby Wah
Last edited by smmSTV at Aug 15, 2010,
The 50 watt Jet City is out. It's actually a good deal cheaper than an MA.
Gibson ES-137C
Parker P8EN
AC Custom Special P Bass
Why does it have to be a combo amp? With a $1000 budget that's enough for the 50 watt Jet City head and a used Orange or Marshall 212. A setup like that would absolutely wreck the MA50.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Jet-City-Amplification-JCA50H-50W-Tube-Guitar-Amp-Head-430427-i1529329.gc $500 for the head (save some cash with coupons and tradeins)

http://www.musicgoround.com/detail.aspx?id=907942 $450 for a Marshall 1936 212.

And that was without bargain hunting. I just did a google shopping search and put what came up.
Quote by adambauman31
I don't know about either amp, but 20 watts will be loud enough.

I've got to disagree. I've got a 30W head and had the master running at about 8 in a large pub the other night.

Although there's much better awareness of wattage lately (less kids getting hoodwinked into buying 160W crappy solid states and that) a lot of people need headroom.

Clean headroom's not just important for clean tines, it's also crucial for a lot of heavy tones, because too much power amp overdrive will destroy the clarity and crispness. Many rock and blues players love that compressed, saturated 'cranked amp' sound, but not all.

Seref is spot on by the way.
Well now that the 50 Watt head is out I'll prolly be getting that. Btw, how are them Jet city cabs, I know I can get other cabs for chaeper but I was just wondering

Marshall Haze 40

DOD FX65 Chorus
Dunlop CryBaby Wah
Quote by Shabadoo
Managed to find this without looking very hard

http://newjersey.craigslist.org/msg/1866638755.html

Kay, well you found one. Lucky you.

You still need a cabinet too.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Why don't you take it from someone who gigs with the 20H - it is loud enough.

Through a 2x12, I hit 6 and I'm at gig levels. Around 8 and 9, you can get hearing damage, easily. And this is with the gain on the preamp down and using an OCD as my main gain hound. With the gain up, and the volume up, you hit even louder volumes.

Either way, the 50 is for sale now in America. Check GC and JCA.com.
Quote by SG_dave at #33549256
I've never wanted to see a guy eat dick so much in my life.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7 at #33553650
If you are white, you are scum.
So I hate to keep asking about different amps, but how are the Egnater Rebel 30 and the Mesa trans-tube Atlantic-thing? Are they any better?

Marshall Haze 40

DOD FX65 Chorus
Dunlop CryBaby Wah
20 Watts should be plenty with good speakers.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
Quote by smmSTV
So I hate to keep asking about different amps, but how are the Egnater Rebel 30 and the Mesa trans-tube Atlantic-thing? Are they any better?

The Rebel 30 and TransAtlantic are both fine amps. They're both designed as an amp that's meant to get you two distinct voicings with their tube switcheroos. I think the TransAtlantic does it best but it's an expensive little amp.