Page 1 of 2
Hey everyone

Having just started playing with bands again after a long break from rock/metal music and gigging on guitar, I need to get myself an amp that I can use on stage and in rehersals with a metal band. I currently have an orange tiny terror and a blackstar ht-5 which I use for recording, but I don't think either of them are really cut out to do metal gigs... Budget is up to about 800 pounds, but I would rather spend closer to 600... good cleans are preferable but not essential, also I would prefer a combo than a stack

Amps I have considered so far:
Bugera 333xl
Peavey valveking
Line 6 spider valve
Peavey triple xxx super 40
peavey 6505+
Laney TT50

I've played the spider and the valveking and was pretty impressed... I wasnt so impressed with the laney but I heard that it needs to be boosted with a ts808 or something. Has anyone tried that? Any other amps I should look at?

Cheers in advance
If the Spider impresses you, anything will do really.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
i would try the bugera 333xl because it has better cleans.

but i went the valveking route and just swapped speaker because the stock ones suck and i also dropped in new tubes and did the dummy jack mod(go to valveking thread)

it sounds close to a stock bugera 6262 boosted with a ts9 now and it has much better cleans making it more versatile then the bugera(my opinion)

just make sure you do these upgrades and get an eq which i havent got to yet but plan on getting one soon
Guitars:
94' Epiphone Les Paul Honeyburst
Ibanez RG7620
Ibanez RG560

Amp:
Peavey Valveking Head
Marshall 1960b
Get the Peavey 6505+. I strongly recommend it as the drive is unbeatable.
If it's creative, true to your musical goal, and it sounds good, put it in the song.

1. Guitar, delay, verb, amp, and creativity.
2. Well-tuned acoustic piano and creativity.
3. A bottle of water.
Peavey Valveking and Line 6 Spider Valve, think you can cross those off. Best bet would be the 6505+ as it's used by most metal bands.
I just returned my bugera 333xl a week after opening because it broke. Please, never buy anything related to behringer.
Peavey Valveking Head
Peavey VK Cab
Schecter Hellraiser C-1 FR
Schecter Damien Elite 7
Ibanez ART2EX1
Boss SD-1 Overdrive
Boss GE-7
Boss NS-2
Quote by Andrew/WK
Peavey Valveking and Line 6 Spider Valve, think you can cross those off. Best bet would be the 6505+ as it's used by most metal bands.

cleans are horrible though....all you would be able to use it for is metal

see it like this: would you rather have an amp with one really strong point(metal)

or would you rather have an amp that has all around good tones for every genre
Guitars:
Ibanez RG7620
Ibanez RG560

Amp:
Peavey Valveking Head
Marshall 1960b
Quote by Karpet King
cleans are horrible though....all you would be able to use it for is metal

see it like this: would you rather have an amp with one really strong point(metal)

or would you rather have an amp that has all around good tones for every genre

Well, I never use the cleans on amps, I usually play heavy stuff most of the time unless I'm practising theory. The cleans really don't bother me too much.
Quote by Andrew/WK
Well, I never use the cleans on amps, I usually play heavy stuff most of the time unless I'm practising theory. The cleans really don't bother me too much.

in that case go with the 6505 or if your going used you might as well get a 5150(original model)

some people think the 5150 sounds better because it was the original amp that the 6505 copied...but i never played a 6505, just a 5150 and it was great for metal
Guitars:
Ibanez RG7620
Ibanez RG560

Amp:
Peavey Valveking Head
Marshall 1960b
Try out Jet City. If you pop an EQ + OD in front of that bad boy, you can get some chug chug out of that. Plus if you ever need to switch generes, the Jet City is prefect.
NT

BE QUICK OR BE DEAD SON
Quote by Karpet King
in that case go with the 6505 or if your going used you might as well get a 5150(original model)

some people think the 5150 sounds better because it was the original amp that the 6505 copied...but i never played a 6505, just a 5150 and it was great for metal

That's what I am doing haha.
yeah, the clean sounds are the only thing putting me off the 6505 at the moment really.... And the only thing really putting me off the 333xl is that its made by behringer :P
Quote by crypticage
yeah, the clean sounds are the only thing putting me off the 6505 at the moment really.... And the only thing really putting me off the 333xl is that its made by behringer :P

Look for a used XXX then.
with £800 you could look for a used Mesa Boogie Recto-verb combo
Quote by Led Dirigible
Crickets have too much high end for my tastes. I prefer a nice beetle, lots of warm low end.

tl;dr put a beetle in your amp for superior toanz.

Guitars: Schecter C-1 Classic
Westfeild LP e4500
Amp: Vox AD15VT
What kind of metal do you prefer? Name some bands.
The 333 will be a lot more versatile. If you're looking for cleans don't bother looking at the peavey.
The Bugera 6262 also has very nice cleans although the 333 is a lot more versatile. If you want more brutalllzz than versatility then get the 6262.
Gear
Bugera 6262 Head
Harley Benton G212 Vintage
Ibanez RGA 121 Prestige
ESP LTD DJ600
Fender USA Stratecaster
Maxon O808
TC Electronic Flashback Delay
ISP Decimator
MXR 10 Band EQ
Boss T-U3 Tuner Pedal
Crate Blue Voodoo, B-52 AT, maybe a used JCM900. A Peavey Classic 30 or 50 and a good OD pedal might be an option if you're looking for a traditional metal sound. You can get enough gain for In Flames or Opeth, but probably not for ridiculously saturated drop-z deathcore if that's what you're into.
Quote by Adam124
What kind of metal do you prefer? Name some bands.
The 333 will be a lot more versatile. If you're looking for cleans don't bother looking at the peavey.
The Bugera 6262 also has very nice cleans although the 333 is a lot more versatile. If you want more brutalllzz than versatility then get the 6262.

if you reading the rest of the thread he says he doesnt need cleans and is using it strictly for metal.

5150. \thread
Guitars:
Ibanez RG7620
Ibanez RG560

Amp:
Peavey Valveking Head
Marshall 1960b
Quote by Karpet King
if you reading the rest of the thread he says he doesnt need cleans and is using it strictly for metal.

5150. \thread

Have to agree here.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
Quote by Karpet King

5150. \thread

And where does he say that?

[EDIT]

It looks like if you actually read the thread you would have realised AndrewWK isn't the TS
Gear
Bugera 6262 Head
Ibanez RGA 121 Prestige
ESP LTD DJ600
Fender USA Stratecaster
Maxon O808
ISP Decimator
MXR 10 Band EQ
Boss T-U3 Tuner Pedal
Last edited by Adam124 at Aug 12, 2010,
Quote by crypticage
Hey everyone

Having just started playing with bands again after a long break from rock/metal music and gigging on guitar, I need to get myself an amp that I can use on stage and in rehersals with a metal band. I currently have an orange tiny terror and a blackstar ht-5 which I use for recording, but I don't think either of them are really cut out to do metal gigs... Budget is up to about 800 pounds, but I would rather spend closer to 600... good cleans are preferable but not essential, also I would prefer a combo than a stack

Amps I have considered so far:
Bugera 333xl
Peavey valveking
Line 6 spider valve
Peavey triple xxx super 40
peavey 6505+
Laney TT50

I've played the spider and the valveking and was pretty impressed... I wasnt so impressed with the laney but I heard that it needs to be boosted with a ts808 or something. Has anyone tried that? Any other amps I should look at?

Cheers in advance

he said hes using it for a metal band
Guitars:
Ibanez RG7620
Ibanez RG560

Amp:
Peavey Valveking Head
Marshall 1960b
Quote by Karpet King

By preferable I took it as he would like to have nice cleans. To be fair the 6262 would be perfect for him as he coud have the best of both worlds although I'm not going to sit here and argue over Bugera and Peavey. Both are great for metal.

TS, I suggest you try out both amps to see what YOU think sounds forever. We could ramble on forever but it's up to you in the end up.

[EDIT]

Since when are metal bands not allowed to play cleans?
Gear
Bugera 6262 Head
Ibanez RGA 121 Prestige
ESP LTD DJ600
Fender USA Stratecaster
Maxon O808
ISP Decimator
MXR 10 Band EQ
Boss T-U3 Tuner Pedal
Last edited by Adam124 at Aug 12, 2010,
Quote by Karpet King

he also said that cleans are preferrable...just not essential. So he would like a good clean channel...

P.S. metal bands use cleans too
Quote by eyebanez333
he also said that cleans are preferrable...just not essential. So he would like a good clean channel...

P.S. metal bands use cleans too

why dont you let him put the bugera and peavey side by side and play them to see which on he likes
Guitars:
Ibanez RG7620
Ibanez RG560

Amp:
Peavey Valveking Head
Marshall 1960b
Quote by Karpet King
why dont you let him put the bugera and peavey side by side and play them to see which on he likes

That's what I suggested already, easy there tiger..
Gear
Bugera 6262 Head
Ibanez RGA 121 Prestige
ESP LTD DJ600
Fender USA Stratecaster
Maxon O808
ISP Decimator
MXR 10 Band EQ
Boss T-U3 Tuner Pedal
Quote by Karpet King

by all means...it was just a suggestion. reliability issues aside...if you like the cleans of a bugera 626x over the cleans of a peavey XXX...you need your hearing checked.

EDIT: you recommended a 5150...same goes for it. He said cleans are preferrable...
Last edited by eyebanez333 at Aug 12, 2010,
Quote by Karpet King

EXACT same amp.

Everything about it is the same except for a few cosmetics.
I recommended it if you have an EQ for the cleans.

Its a good amp, no doubt, probably the best one in your price range for high gain metal.

A used 5150 would do you good, TS.
Gear:
Ibanez RG4EXFM1
Peavey 5150II All Tube 120w Head
Avatar contemporary 2x12 (Celestion v30's)
Peavey Vypyr 15w (Fantastic Practice Amp!!!)

Got Djent?
Quote by DakoRob
EXACT same amp.

Everything about it is the same except for a few cosmetics.
I recommended it if you have an EQ for the cleans.

Its a good amp, no doubt, probably the best one in your price range for high gain metal.

A used 5150 would do you good, TS.

+1
Guitars:
Ibanez RG7620
Ibanez RG560

Amp:
Peavey Valveking Head
Marshall 1960b
Quote by Karpet King
+1

+1 to the 5150 rec? or +1 to the part where he pointed out you being wrong about the 5150 v. 6505?
Quote by eyebanez333
+1 to the 5150 rec? or +1 to the part where he pointed out you being wrong about the 5150 v. 6505?

you are an ignorant idiot.

if you go back i said a lot of people claim they are different sounding but I WOULDNT KNOW BECAUSE IVE ONLY PLAYED THE 5150. LEARN HOW TO READ
Guitars:
Ibanez RG7620
Ibanez RG560

Amp:
Peavey Valveking Head
Marshall 1960b
Quote by eyebanez333

by the way since when is the 5150 a "rec"
Guitars:
Ibanez RG7620
Ibanez RG560

Amp:
Peavey Valveking Head
Marshall 1960b
Quote by Karpet King

if you go back i said a lot of people claim they are different sounding but I WOULDNT KNOW BECAUSE IVE ONLY PLAYED THE 5150. LEARN HOW TO READ

So you shouldn't make assumptions that the 5150 sounds better than the 6505...

rec is short for recommendation...
I love how everytime someone asks for help on choosing a metal amp, there's always a Bugera/Peavey or a 5150/6505 arguement, :P

Anyways on topic...
I'd say go for the 5150. They are beautiful sounding amplifiers
Quote by Karpet King

some people think the 5150 sounds better because it was the original amp that the 6505 copied...but i never played a 6505, just a 5150, and it was great for metal

1. learn how to read

2. i dont know why your TRYING to point out my flaws rather than helping the TS because you have nothing else better to do
Guitars:
Ibanez RG7620
Ibanez RG560

Amp:
Peavey Valveking Head
Marshall 1960b
Quote by TheDefected
I love how everytime someone asks for help on choosing a metal amp, there's always a Bugera/Peavey or a 5150/6505 arguement, :P

Anyways on topic...
I'd say go for the 5150. They are beautiful sounding amplifiers

+1 for the 5150

lets see eyebanez so far the score is

5150: 4

Bugera: 1
Guitars:
Ibanez RG7620
Ibanez RG560

Amp:
Peavey Valveking Head
Marshall 1960b
Quote by crypticage

I need to learn to read? How about reading what the TS wrote above. 6505 cleans aren't good enough...so this should eliminate 5150/6505 and the respective Bugera clones from the options IMO. Even though I'll admit, the Bugeras do have a slightly better clean sound...the second part of his statement should eliminate anything to do with Bugera. So the 333 and 333XL are out of the options too...

Seriously people...this isn't what amp you have or want...it's what the TS needs. He told you what he wants and doesn't want...just ****ing read it. Post #12...

EDIT: ^ I don't care what the 'score' is...I didn't recommend either of those amps because unlike the rest of you...I'm reading what the TS has to say
Last edited by eyebanez333 at Aug 12, 2010,
Quote by TheFireWithinPA
I just returned my bugera 333xl a week after opening because it broke. Please, never buy anything related to behringer.

this.

its really down to the 5150 or the VK

5150 \thread
Guitars:
Ibanez RG7620
Ibanez RG560

Amp:
Peavey Valveking Head
Marshall 1960b
Quote by Karpet King

5150 \thread

See post #12. TS doesn't like the cleans of a 6505...5150...not any better in that department.
Quote by Karpet King

who cares what other people claim?

talk to that which you know, or it's just bandwagonning.

ignorance is the absense of knowledge...
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by gregs1020
who cares what other people claim?

talk to that which you know, or it's just bandwagonning.

ignorance is the absense of knowledge...

the 5150 cleans arent as bad as people put them out to be.

and i mean his budget is 600 bucks hes not going to get a f'ing PERFECT AMP

every amp under 600 bucks has some flaws
Guitars:
Ibanez RG7620
Ibanez RG560

Amp:
Peavey Valveking Head
Marshall 1960b
Quote by Karpet King
this.

its really down to the 5150 or the VK

5150 \thread

+1 ferreal, valvekings arent even voiced for metal.

This is a stupid argument.
Why don't you guys just agree to disagree. :/
Page 1 of 2