Hi, I have a question. If I got from .13's to .12's, is it necessary to change the action of the guitar or is it bad for the guitar or what? I'm almost afraid to change them because last time I got fret buzz on some of the strings
play it safe, and get it setup. in the long run, its worth the money it costs to do it.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
how much does it cost to get it set up after i change the strings?
depends on the guitar; the action and how it needs to be setup, whether the guitar has a floyd rose or any other things like that, the make and model, lots of things make a difference.

I have had quotes from £20 to £60. if someone is charging £60 theyre probably a private luthier, and the best choice imo. most guitar shops are shite for setups. definately do not take it to Guitar center

and dont bother changing strings: he will take them off when he adjusts it. also, ask him to clean up the fretboard and generally service the guitar, good idea if you have the cash for it. idk im not an expert, but thats what i would do.

hope this helps.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Thanks
So i shouldnt change the strings yet? how will they know how much to adjust the guitar?
tell them it has .13's on (.13s are awesome how could you betray them? and say you want it to have .12's with a high/low/medium action.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Do you think its a possibility the .13's on my guitar are just horrible? maybe I should just stick with them and get some new .13's the ones on it right now tear my fingers
it comes down to preference. do what YOU want to with it...i think this thread is getting a bit long; PM me if you have any more Questions. i use .13's for the tone, and because i like them; my next guitar is gounna have a custom set of .14's on 1-3 and .15's on 4-6
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Put 'em on and see. If it buzzes you may need a truss rod adjustment or change the height of the nut and bridge