Ive been playing around with a guitar for a few years off and on. Im still very much a beginner. I have a newfound interest in music again and I want to start getting serious. I play mainly rock/metal. Where do I start? What should I focus more on? What do I need to learn first?
In my opinion, learning how to read music is best done by a personal teacher.

Although you can quite adequately learn all that you need to know on the internet regarding both tablature and the more standard music notation, it can be better for you personally if someone were there to encourage you at every step. Learning how to play an instrument on your own can be quite lonely.

Regarding your questions, you should start with chords and rhythm. Ignore the lead side for the first month. Honing your timing by playing chords and learning how they work can aid your progression concerning other more complicated techniques.

Focus on finding something you find really fun. Most people find power-chords (the root note and 5th note) to be the most entertaining and rewarding. They also happen to be a core element to all forms of rock music, and will encourage theory and correct technique.

Search UG yourself to find a few articles on how to strum properly, how to fret notes in a shape, etc. Then, once you've got a decent rhythm going inside of you, move onto scales and melodies. You can also ask in the Guitar Techniques forum, as already mentioned, if you have more questions and concerns. They'll always help you out there, even if it takes a while.

Welcome!
hey ive been trying to download a power tab version of classical gas i have the program but it still says i need to download it and it wont let me read the tabs :S
Quote by TJD15
hey ive been trying to download a power tab version of classical gas i have the program but it still says i need to download it and it wont let me read the tabs :S
Do you have a trial version or a full version? Do other tabs work perfectly fine?
^ power tab has a trial version???
Quote by zappp
emad I'm gonna ban you, seriously.
Quote by AngryGoldfish
Yeah, the trial version is to see if you want to pay for the free full version...

* self*

daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
I'm gonna need specific instructions again on how to properly dance with my pants on my head.
Quote by lolmnt
First you put your pants on your head.
Second you dance.
Third you wipe off all the pussy.