Hello. I've been looking into buying a new amp for playing some small gigs because my fender deluxe 900 amp is on the frits. My price range is from 500-700$. The tone I am looking for would be a very nice and smooth clean tone, if possible a heavy death metal type of distortion, and of course some good leads. Now with that said, I play in a few worship bands and really nothing else as of yet, so it's not that necessary that I have my brutal distortion at the moment. I would however prefer it if possible.

Good example of the clean tone

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pid0nCrsQxM

and of the heavy distortion

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4Cu-c-QANY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5SUm_I9Sj4 (give it a sec and don't hate on my music choices please )

I would like to get a tube amp with built in effects such as primarily delay and reverb, and if possible maybe chorus, phaser, tremelo or any other crazy business. I was looking into a Peavey vypyr 120, which looks like it has the effects and cool amp models that I would be interested in. However, would it be better to get a tube amp with the tone I'm looking for and then just accumulate the pedals over time? I love my fender deluxe 900 amp, so I was looking into the fender hot rod deluxe. Would it be worth it to get that amp then to save up for a fine distortion and delay pedal? I was also looking into the Peavey 6505 amp as well, which could be better suited to the metal portion, but perhaps not the clean?

The guitar that I have is a PRS SE mahogany double cut guitar that I got off musicians friend (which is no longer on it). I would really appreciate any confirmation on what I have already looked at, and any new suggestions would be great as well!
Check out a Valveking (surprised I'm suggesting it) but they have really nice cleans and enough distortion for modern rock. If you want a good metal tone out of it you'll have to go out and buy an overdrive pedal. And I'm not to fond of the modelling tube amp idea. I think it defeats the purpose of being a tube amp almost. But that's just me.
Well, if you want death metal type distortion, then I'd say get the 6505. Although I've heard the cleans on it aren't too great, but then again, I've also heard they just need good EQ-ing. Also, if you like the Vypyr but want tube, they have the Vypyr Tube series:

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-VYPYR-Tube-120-120W-2x12-Guitar-Tube-Amp?sku=482913
Splawn Quickrod
Various Pedals
PRS Custom 22
Ibanez RG560
American Standard Strat
if I had $700 I would not be looking at the valveking or the vypyr, those are entry level amps guys, comeon! Ignore both of those posts.

Now the 6505 would be good for your leads and br00tz, but the clean channel probably won't perform the way you want it to. With $700 and considering your needs I would look at the following:
Marshall JCM 900 or 2000(if you can find an 800 that'd be amazing)
Orange Dual Terror
Jet City JCA50(i hear mixed things about the cleans)
Peavey XXX, Peavey Ultra(once again, not sure about the cleans on these two)
Mesa Single Rec or Mark IV
Some kind of Laney or ENGL

and obviously all of which(except for the Jet City) would need to be bought used.
Quote by alm0st a skat3r
yeah i remember when i had a good conscience. now i dont give a ****

xxx
smoke weed, drink 40's, **** titties
Im relatively inexperienced when it comes to guitar amplifier knowledge, but what I do know is that I have a Line 6 Spider IV 75 and it has pretty good range. This amp falls way below your intended budget & output, but how about the Spider IV 150?
Quote by jeffporemba
Im relatively inexperienced when it comes to guitar amplifier knowledge, but what I do know is that I have a Line 6 Spider IV 75 and it has pretty good range. This amp falls way below your intended budget & output, but how about the Spider IV 150?

This.

lol jk, go try a few different amps out, Peavey have some good high gain amps in that price range.
#ENTITLED
WENGER OUT!!!

lastfm
buying another spider would by the absolute worst thing you could do

never heard of someone with a spider wanting to buy another
Quote by alm0st a skat3r

xxx
Last edited by handbanana at Aug 12, 2010,
Thanks for the suggestions so far! Handbanana, I looked into those amps and I found out that most of them were just heads. Maybe I looked in the wrong places but I'm specifically looking for a combo amp (forgot to mention) because buying a good head and cabinet would be much more costly. I did try out the Peavey 6505 amp head and cabinet at guitar center but I didn't really didn't like the tone of it at all, so I probably won't buy the combo version. Also, unless the Peavey XXX sounds much better then the 6505 then I probably won't get that one either. If I get a chance I'll see about trying out a valveking, but there are not any XXX's around for me to try out. Any more suggestions would still be appreciated!
they make combo versions of every amp I listed except the dual rec, keep lookin around

personally i'd say the Ultra(if you can find one) or the Mesa Mark IV would probably be the best ones to look at. Actually i'm not positive if they make an Ultra combo or not
Quote by alm0st a skat3r

xxx
Last edited by handbanana at Aug 12, 2010,
also forgot, a used Peavey JSX might be worth looking at as well
Quote by alm0st a skat3r

xxx
Unless you get a 2 channel JCM800 you better get used to your volume knob, because you'll be becoming best friends.

The 2 channels sound nothing like the regular 800s either. The Peavey 6505 combo would be good, you're going to want an overdrive to tighten up the overdrive.

Also, for the record, an overdrive WILL NOT give you a volume boost for solos on a dirty channel. On a clean channel, yes. Overdrive, it'll add more gain, and tighten up the bottom end for those chugga chiggy wuggas (cookie for the reference).

If you want a solo boost to get over your band, you're going to want either a good PA and a bunch of mics and a really watchful sound man, or an EQ/clean boost in the effects loop set for a slight volume boost.

So, if I were you, my shopping list would be:

- JCM800 combo (used)/Peavey 6505 combo/JCM900/2000 combo (used)
- Boss SD1 overdrive (solid pedal, easily moddable later, just keep your gain knob at 0 and volume maxed)
- EQ or clean boost (I like the BBE Boosta Grande) to run in the loop for just a small volume boost for your solos.
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
Yes i'm realizing now the discontent for Line 6 products of ultimate-guitar users. Its safe to say to avoid embarrassment I dont think i'll ever post anything related to their products.
Quote by jeffporemba
Yes i'm realizing now the discontent for Line 6 products of ultimate-guitar users. Its safe to say to avoid embarrassment I dont think i'll ever post anything related to their products.

Oh, don't take anything by it.

Most of UG just jumps a massive bandwagon whenever the word "Line" and the number "6" are in the same sentence.

The only real bad product Line 6 makes is the Spider. The Spider Valve, Flextone, Duoverb, Vetta/Vetta II, and HD147, along with their distortion, delay, and modulation modeler pedals (MM4, DD, etc...) are actually really good. The ToneCore pedals are alright, except the distortions.
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
Thanks stratman_13. Why does the spider series have such a bad rep? I'm new to the electric guitar world and this is the first amp i've owned/purchased. Maybe to my ear its pretty good, just think I dont have enough experience with amps. My initial attraction was the convenience of being able to change sounds/effects with ease.

I am considering getting another amp. Can you make any suggestions of amps within the same price range that are a hell of a lot better, other than the Lyne Six brand? (changed the spelling to avoid being pummeled
TS, what is the closest major city to you?
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
Appreciate the advice stratman! I'll take everyone's advice/suggestions into consideration. Oh and jeff don't worry about it, I appreciate the suggestion even though I'm not too big on Line 6 spider amps.

I was thinking about getting this one

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Fender-Hot-Rod-Deluxe-Amp-100259491-i1145367.gc

and then try and find a good overdrive/distortion pedal (perhaps the Boss SD1 like stratman suggested). It won't give me anything brutal distortion wise but it will hopefully be heavy enough to do some metal. I have found a pretty good deal on a JCM 900 so I may go with that instead.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
Oh wow thanks! Really appreciate it, and I'll definitely check out each of those.