So, I need to pick up a new amp, something I can gig out with. I don't have a lot of money, so I'd prefer to keep it $400 or under, preferably a 2x10 or 4x10, and 200 watts if I can swing it. Obviously staying away from Behringer, but can you guys point me in the right direction?
take a look at some smaller ashdown combos on musicians friend. They have great sound and are right in your price range.
Quote by Diet_coke_head
Hey! Now you can molest you're grandma and she won't remember! Score!!!

Gear:
Fender Aerodyne Jazz Bass
Fender V Jazz
Ashdown MAG 410
EH Bass Big MUff
MXR Bass Octave Deluxe
Digitech Synth Wah
Acoustic sounds right up your alley. You can get a B200H (200W head), and a matching 1x15 cab new for $400.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
I'd completely forgotten that Acoustic deal, thanks Tosti. Not my ideal, but I can always upgrade to a 4x10 later.
That sounds like the best deal you'll get for that cheap. I really want an Acoustic amp...

Ibanez K5
Warwick Rockbass Vampyre 4

Line 6 Bass Pod XT Live
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Acoustic gives you a great deal of bang for the buck. If you like Acoustic and can handle an extra US$200.00, try this:

http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Acoustic-B450-450W-2x10-Bass-Combo-Amp-?sku=484907

I've played one several times and it sounds fantastic. They go on sale rather frequently at GC, so you may be able to pick one up at a price closer your budget.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Are you looking for a transparent amp? Then I would recommend either Acoustic or Carvin.
You should probably look used for you price range. I've tested out the Acoustic amps and cabs and can say that I'm not a fan.
Quote by MommasHooligan
You should probably look used for you price range. I've tested out the Acoustic amps and cabs and can say that I'm not a fan.

Out of curiosity, what don't you like about them?

Anarkee, I could certainly go for a transparent amp. A lot of my tone is shaped by the pedals I use anyway, and I'm used to just switching amps at the place we practice at now(they have a bunch of amps in different rooms that they rotate, so it's just a matter of what you end up catching that day).
Quote by UnbrokenGlass
Out of curiosity, what don't you like about them?

Anarkee, I could certainly go for a transparent amp. A lot of my tone is shaped by the pedals I use anyway, and I'm used to just switching amps at the place we practice at now(they have a bunch of amps in different rooms that they rotate, so it's just a matter of what you end up catching that day).

I spent some time trying to dial in my tone and couldn't get it. I honestly think they are step above Behringer and GK Backline series. I'm not saying this because I use Ampeg. I really would like SWR or Eden.
Last edited by MommasHooligan at Aug 13, 2010,