Ok so im trying to tackle writing my first sweep. Im playing in the key of Gminor and figured the safest bet would be to write a Gminor arpeggio. Im just not sure if this is right or not.

--------------------------3--6-----------------------
----------------------3----------8-------------------
------------------3------------------7---------------
--------------5--------------------------8--5--------
----------5-------------------------------------5-----
---3--6--------------------------------------------6--

Would that sound fine of a Gminor progression?
Jackson RR3 - BKP Painkiller/Warpig
Bugera 333XL 212
Pod Studio UX1
MXR Smart Gate
Hardwire CM-2
Looks like it should work. All the notes make sense.

Remember its just: G Bb D G
Quote by axethrower13
But you only die once, so you may as well experience it to the fullest.

Quote by ozzyismetal
Get her a goat. Bitches love goats.

Quote by Weaponxclaws
Plus, naturally I scream satanic rituals while unleashing the demon. It's a marvelous resurrection.
sounds good to me. but i think the last note should be a 'G' on the 3rd fret, rather than the 'Bb' on the 6th
now could i technically chose any of the notes in the progression to use as my root for my sweep rather then g? Like could i start it on a Bb and it would still fit?
Jackson RR3 - BKP Painkiller/Warpig
Bugera 333XL 212
Pod Studio UX1
MXR Smart Gate
Hardwire CM-2
Quote by Sheepbane
now could i technically chose any of the notes in the progression to use as my root for my sweep rather then g? Like could i start it on a Bb and it would still fit?

As your bass note, yes. As long as it uses G Bb D it's still a Gm chord, regardless of the order.
^ Without a backing it can sound weird.

An arpeggio is just a series of notes that belong to a chord. As long as it's made up of only G, Bb, and D, it's a Gm arpeggio. You could extend it too and play a Gm7 arpeggio. You could even use a non-chord tone (a note that does not belong to the chord) as a passing tone. Definitely experiment. Strict arpeggios are a shitty way of writing a distinct, memorable melody. If you're not trying to write a distinct, memorable melody, go on right ahead though.
i don't know why i feel so dry
Last edited by Eastwinn at Aug 13, 2010,
Quote by Eastwinn

As long as it's made up of only G, Db, and B, it's a Gm arpeggio.

Que?
Quote by griffRG7321
Que?

Got my D's and my B's mixed up.
i don't know why i feel so dry
is there a chords behind it

if not then its a Gm arpeggio (ie it perfect)
Quote by xMyNameIsMudx
sounds good to me. but i think the last note should be a 'G' on the 3rd fret, rather than the 'Bb' on the 6th

It's a Bb cause it follows the CAGED shape, but yeah, it were a lick, might sound more complete ending on a G....