I'm looking to getting a good bass rig to do some gigging with various bands etc. I'm looking for an affordable amp that will cover most of the genres (not really metal though).

My first question is whether to go for a combo amp or head/cab. Now the combo amps seem to be cheaper, but the head/cab will probably give me more 'volume', i.e. more surface area and closer to ear level.

I'm looking to spend no more that £600 for a head/cab, anything lower than that is a plus, and less for a combo amp.

What amps should I be looking for? I was looking at the Warwick Profet 3.3, but a lot of people seem to say that it lacks in volume and presence, and that an Ampeg BA-115 could beat it in a band environment. Any other suggestions?
I guess gear goes here ...
Epiphone SG Special
Ashton GA100
George Dennis Volume/Tremelo Pedal
Dunlop Cry Baby Wah
Digitech Bad Monkey

Vintage EST96NA Bass
Ashland Electro Acoustic
Quote by boysontour2006
My first question is whether to go for a combo amp or head/cab. Now the combo amps seem to be cheaper, but the head/cab will probably give me more 'volume', i.e. more surface area and closer to ear level.

It doesn't matter if it's a combo or a head/cab setup, the only difference between a combo and a stack is that the head in its own separate housing, allowing you to pair it with different cabs. The combo has the advantage of portability, its easier to carry a combo then lug around separate pieces.

The general rule of thumb is you need a 200W+ amp for gigging. Now watt's does not necessarily equal volume, you could squeak by with less (it also depends on what your bandmates are playing), but 200+ is advisable if you'll be gigging.

Are you willing to go used? Because that opens the door for a lot of possibilities if you don't mind having previously-owned gear.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
No, that doesn't bother me at all, so long as it will last me and won't crap out after about six months! :P
I guess gear goes here ...
Epiphone SG Special
Ashton GA100
George Dennis Volume/Tremelo Pedal
Dunlop Cry Baby Wah
Digitech Bad Monkey

Vintage EST96NA Bass
Ashland Electro Acoustic
Ashdown are pretty damn good, and not too expensive either. There is also a longer warranty than most other brands, but they're pretty reliable so you probably won't be needing it.
I prefer Stack situations better. I can partner different cabs with my head and what not, and that way, if your head blows, or speaker blows, you don't lose the whole setup, just the part that's busted.
Quote by JagerSlushy

Black people play bass.
Quote by isabiggles
Nevermind, that's a stupid pun for Australian pyromaniacs.
Just forget I said anything.

Quote by mac_attack
THE PURE SEXUAL THRILL!!!!
And stuff...

^^^
On playing bass.
Gear:
ESP B-206SM
Behringer BRX1800H
Acoustic B115
Asher Custom 2x10
^But a combo is just like a head and a speaker combined isn't it? I get what you mean but it's a bit flawed i.e. the processing part of a combo can be reparied seperate to speaker(s)