I know anchoring is bad, blah blah, tension, blah blah. But I can't seem to play without it. I keep my pinky on the high E string, but I don't put any pressure or grip it or any tension I can feel. I just rest it there and it seems to help a lot. Does this still count as anchoring or it is fine because it helps? Thank you to the people who elaborate more than "don't do it, it's bad."
If it's comfortable for you just carry on, as long as you don't feel it hindering your playing in any way and you play cleanly. I am usually always really lightly touching the pickguard with my pinky and don't feel any tension. Loads of great players play anchored anyway, and it doesn't harm them...
GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Just a quick question - how do you strum 6 string chords?

Anyway, if you aren't putting pressure on it it probably affects your playing relatively little - do you have big hands perchance?
yea man I do the exact thing but i kind of hold my hand straight and anchor to the bridge. The only thing that i can't do really well is sweeps, but I don't like them anyway lol
well when I play chords I don't need to do it, just when I play single strings. It's like it helps me find the string.
Quote by zgbgydug
well when I play chords I don't need to do it, just when I play single strings. It's like it helps me find the string.
Well, if it's about finding strings, you get used to that really quick without anchoring.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!