Hey guys, I seem to have a bit of a problem. I am building a neck-through superstrat and I'm ready to rout the bridge/ spring cavities but where the neck meets the body is too far down in the back! I traced the spring cavity and it seems to overlap the "cutout" between 1/4" and 1/2".

Can I use a smaller spring cavity?

Will I need different springs?

Any other suggestions!? I leave for college on Sunday so I was hoping to get the routing done before then but I'm stumped.

Let me know ifyou need pictures I can upload some!

*Edit* Its for a left handed wilkinson vibrato if that helps any.
My Gear:
Schecter Hellraiser FR Special.
EpiG400 lefty w/Dimarzio X2N/ Irongear Hot Slag
Peavey 6505+112 (head)
2x12 Cab w/ WGS v30 / gt65
GFS Tuner
TS-9 (Keeley ish mod)
Dunlop GCB-95 Wah truebypass
ICP Gstring Decimator
need pictures. i can't even imagine how that would happen. there's usually plenty of space between the top of the trem route and the neck joint.
[thread="1285220"]First Build - Zebrawood Tele[/thread]
[thread="1288529"]Second Build[/thread]
[thread="1334385"]Curbside Build[/thread]
Well you see, the neck blank that i started with was very long and was already thinnned for the neck. So I had to carve out a type of "bowl" to make it look decent. I think I can route the cavity slightly smaller and it will still work.

I will upload the pics within a few minutes.

Thxx.

*EDIT*

Heres the pics. There pretty big.
http://img24.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=1010081yj.jpg
My Gear:
Peavey 6505+112 (head)
GFS Tuner
TS-9 (Keeley ish mod)
ICP Gstring Decimator
Last edited by bj_squeelie at Aug 12, 2010,
Ooooops.
I think you can shorten he neck end of the term cavity. Obviously you have to leave the bridge in the correct place for intonation.
On most trees there is some space between the claw and the edge of the cavity to allow for tightening the springs. You will probably just have to screw the claw down tighter.
Okay that was what I wanted to hear. Thanks guys.

Also: any idea where I could get / how I could make a cover for the smaller spring cavity?
My Gear:
Peavey 6505+112 (head)
GFS Tuner
TS-9 (Keeley ish mod)
ICP Gstring Decimator
If you have a template (or a regular sized cover) it'll be easy. Use the template and router to make a regular-sized cover from a pickguard blank. Then take the template off and reattach it overhanging one end by the distance you shortened the cavity (1/4" or 1/2"). Route the other end of the cover to make it shorter.
[thread="1285220"]First Build - Zebrawood Tele[/thread]
[thread="1288529"]Second Build[/thread]
[thread="1334385"]Curbside Build[/thread]