Hello, I want to buy a new amp, a tube amp, for better sound. And from what I heard, these 2 are very good, and in my price range (wich is below 1500 euro (2000 dollars)):

Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 5/50 Watt 2-Channel Tube Head
Peavey 6505 120 Watt 2-Channel All-Tube Head With 4x6L6 Tubes

And there is this 'Valve King' where a lot of people are talking about:

Peavey Valve King 212 combo 100 Watt 4/8/16 Ohm

And the Valve King is a lot cheaper:

Marshall JCM 2000 = 1049 euro
Peavey 6505 = 1098 euro
Peavey Valve King = 569 euro
These prices are from 1 site. You can probably get them cheaper elsewhere, but I put the prices up to give you a idea about the situation.

So, I am hoping someone has an 'answer'. Or if you have another tube amp that is great and below 1500 euros (2000 dollars), I am open for suggestions

Thank You
what type of music will u be playing?
Guitars
Fender American Standard Strat 2008
Burny late 1980's Super Grade RLG-70 Les Paul
Sterling by Musicman JP50
Fender Classic Series 60's tele
Yamaha FS720S
Amp
Roland Microcube
Fender Blues Junior III Humholdt
The Valveking being cheaper shouldn't be a consideration.

If you buy it you'll spend extra on upgrading it just so it's passable, probably to the point where it matches the price of the others.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Quote by holycow
what type of music will u be playing?

Heavy stuff, metal and hard rock. i love metallica, megadeth, iron maiden, slayer, but also guns 'n roses and acdc.

Of course, some bluesy jazzy things are fun to play (i like joe bonamassa for example) but heavy metal is the main target.
Quote by bubb_tubbs
The Valveking being cheaper shouldn't be a consideration.

If you buy it you'll spend extra on upgrading it just so it's passable, probably to the point where it matches the price of the others.

i understand, but if it is and good and cheap, its the perfect buy. but if the more expensive ones are better, im not going to buy the valveking of course.
the only way to tell which is better for you is to go out and try for yourself, each week go in to the store and head-to-head each amp see which tone you prefer.... its all personal preferance

i personally prefer the Peavey 6505 tone out of them.
Quote by rgrockr
You can buy whatever guitar you want, you don't have to be at a certain skill level to buy one. This is real life, not some guitar-playing RPG where you have to unlock new guitars.
Well, the 6505 is pretty much the "standard" metal amp.

The DSL has better cleans than the 6505, and the crunch is pretty nice too, but the lead channel is a bit lacking.

What kind of tone do you want to achieve?
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Don't expect good bluesy/classic rock tones from the 6505. Don't expect to easily get good heavy tones out of the DSL. I recommend you look at a Peavey 3120. Much more versatile than the 6505 and still does heavy tones very well.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
Marshall JVM 205h(50 watt) or JVM 210h(100 watt) is perfect for those stuff.
http://www.dv247.com/guitars/marshall-jvm205h-guitar-tube-amplifier-head--61158
http://www.dv247.com/guitars/marshall-jvm210h-guitar-tube-amplifier-head--61156

if u want to spend a lot, check out the Splawn Quickrod/Nitro. Way better than the Marshall.
http://www.splawnguitars.com/amps08.htm
Guitars
Yamaha FS720S
Amp
Roland Microcube
Quote by kakos
the only way to tell which is better for you is to go out and try for yourself, each week go in to the store and head-to-head each amp see which tone you prefer.... its all personal preferance

i personally prefer the Peavey 6505 tone out of them.

I was planning to. I'm not going to spend 1000 euros on something i have never tried before. And other posts have told me that for the heavy stuff, the peavey IS better, but its not so good for the 'softer' stuff.
Used Framus Dragon heads go for roughly 1000€. Add a nice 2x12" cab (or even 4x12" if you go used) and you're set.

If it has to be new:
Engl Blackmore head with a Framus 2x12". Will do the tones you requested and is just below 1.5k.

The Dragon gets heavier, though for the bands you mentioned, the Blackmore is heavy enough easily. The Dragon also has more channels and more fine tuning capabilities for each channel, while the Blackmore is simpler, but cheaper. Also, the Blackmore sounds great at any volume, the Dragon needs to be turned up a bit for a good tone.
Last edited by TheQuailman at Aug 12, 2010,
Quote by JesusCrisp
Well, the 6505 is pretty much the "standard" metal amp.

The DSL has better cleans than the 6505, and the crunch is pretty nice too, but the lead channel is a bit lacking.

What kind of tone do you want to achieve?

i dunno exactly, but i want the tone of 'Master of puppets' , 'double talking jive' ('use your illusion I' uses that tone on every song if i remember it right) 'laid to rest' 'raining blood' etc. The tones on these songs are some tones i like.
But i alse want to be able to play really full sounding (most of the time slower) solos. Slash does that a lot, and some songs from John Petrucci solo album, for example 'glasgow kiss'. So, from very crunchy to really full (solos and rhythm)

BTW, playing with Active EMG pickups: '81 at bridge and '85 at neck. Just so you know.
Quote by TheQuailman
If it has to be new:
Engl Blackmore head with a Framus 2x12". Will do the tones you requested and is just below 1.5k.

The Dragon gets heavier, though for the bands you mentioned, the Blackmore is heavy enough easily. The Dragon also has more channels and more fine tuning capabilities for each channel, while the Blackmore is simpler, but cheaper. Also, the Blackmore sounds great at any volume, the Dragon needs to be turned up a bit for a good tone.

i found that richie blackmore signature head in a set, for 1555 euros:

http://www.musicstore.com/en_EN/EUR/_SET_-Engl-E-650-R.-Blackmore-Head-Cabinet-Pedal-Cable/art-GIT272

But i have no idea if that cabinet and those other things you get with it are any good. Should i buy the set (if i decide to take this amp), or should i buy the head (elsewhere, this site is kinda expensive) and a cabinet seperatly?

And is the blackmore also capable of giving good bluesy/jazzy sounds (like for instance joe bonamassa)?
Quote by bartnijman
i dunno exactly, but i want the tone of 'Master of puppets' , 'double talking jive' ('use your illusion I' uses that tone on every song if i remember it right) 'laid to rest' 'raining blood' etc. The tones on these songs are some tones i like.
But i alse want to be able to play really full sounding (most of the time slower) solos. Slash does that a lot, and some songs from John Petrucci solo album, for example 'glasgow kiss'. So, from very crunchy to really full (solos and rhythm)

BTW, playing with Active EMG pickups: '81 at bridge and '85 at neck. Just so you know.

Master of Puppets was recorded with Mesa Mark IIC+ through Marshalls'-poweramps,
Use Your Illusion was some Marshall, Raining Blood is pretty much a boosted JCM800 with loads of mids, Petrucci used Mesa Marks and Rectos.

Might be a bit hard to achieve all those sounds with one amp.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
The Marshall with a good OD/Boost woulkd give you the most variety, imo. go with the marshall and pick up a nice od when you save up some more cash.

the 6505 is a great amp for metal, but it doesn't do much else to well. i've heard some guys get a decent classic rock sounds out of it (Black Stone Cherry), but it's specialty is metal.

Don't bother with the VK. Bubbs in on the money.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
Quote by Jhachey22
The Marshall with a good OD/Boost woulkd give you the most variety, imo. go with the marshall and pick up a nice od when you save up some more cash.

Do you have any tips for a good od/boost?
Quote by JesusCrisp
Master of Puppets was recorded with Mesa Mark IIC+ through Marshalls'-poweramps,
Use Your Illusion was some Marshall, Raining Blood is pretty much a boosted JCM800 with loads of mids, Petrucci used Mesa Marks and Rectos.

Might be a bit hard to achieve all those sounds with one amp.

lol, i know, but i just wanted to give you an idea. And i dont need a perfect imitation of the sound. a sound thats close to some songs is good enough for me.

Btw, are there any affordable mesa's (so in my price range)?
^None that are any good or would work for your style. Mesas are ridiculously overpriced in Europe.

Quote by bartnijman
i found that richie blackmore signature head in a set, for 1555 euros:

http://www.musicstore.com/en_EN/EUR/_SET_-Engl-E-650-R.-Blackmore-Head-Cabinet-Pedal-Cable/art-GIT272

But i have no idea if that cabinet and those other things you get with it are any good. Should i buy the set (if i decide to take this amp), or should i buy the head (elsewhere, this site is kinda expensive) and a cabinet seperatly?

And is the blackmore also capable of giving good bluesy/jazzy sounds (like for instance joe bonamassa)?

That cab is crap. You can either buy the Blackmore with a nice 2x12" which means you'll have two nice pieces of equipment.

Or you get a cheaper amp head and try to find a nice enough 4x12" - which will leave you with two mediocre pieces of equipment.

I'd say go for the first option, it'll sound better than the second one and you can still upgrade to a bigger cab later. You are simply not in the market for a really good halfstack with your budget if you want it to be new.

This is what I meant:
http://www.thomann.de/gb/engl_blackmore_signature_e650_topteil.htm
http://www.thomann.de/gb/framus_fr212_cb.htm

A good amp with a solid cab and nice speakers. Can't really ask for more. And if I recall correctly, Bonamassa used one as a backup amp at some point (might be wrong, not sure). It gets nice blues tones, in any case.
Last edited by TheQuailman at Aug 12, 2010,
Quote by bartnijman
Do you have any tips for a good od/boost?

Depends on how much you want to spend. the Danelectro transparent overdrive ($59) is always a good budget friendly choice. So is the Boss SD1 ($39) and the Electroharmonix LPB ($39).

the Boss BD2 ($89), BBE Boosta grande ($79), Visual Sound truetone ($99) and the MXR/CAE clean boost ($99) are all nice clean boosts as well, but are a tad pricier.

My top 3 of any price range are the MXR/CAE OD/boost ($139), the Lizard Leg Draconus ($239) and the Seymour duncan Twin tube classic ($219).

If you end up getting the marshall, stay away from any "green" overdrives. Marshalls are mid heavy to begin with, so throwing a tubescreamer type of pedal on top of that muddies the amp up even more.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
Quote by TheQuailman
^None that are any good or would work for your style. Mesas are ridiculously overpriced in Europe.

That cab is crap. You can either buy the Blackmore with a nice 2x12" which means you'll have two nice pieces of equipment.

Or you get a cheaper amp head and try to find a nice enough 4x12" - which will leave you with two mediocre pieces of equipment.

I'd say go for the first option, it'll sound better than the second one and you can still upgrade to a bigger cab later. You are simply not in the market for a really good halfstack with your budget if you want it to be new.

This is what I meant:
http://www.thomann.de/gb/engl_blackmore_signature_e650_topteil.htm
http://www.thomann.de/gb/framus_fr212_cb.htm

A good amp with a solid cab and nice speakers. Can't really ask for more. And if I recall correctly, Bonamassa used one as a backup amp at some point (might be wrong, not sure). It gets nice blues tones, in any case.

so the Blackmore can get me some nice heavy metal sounds, and some good blues tones also (i really want the metal sound, so it has to have that!)? if so, you da man . thanks dude. Of course, i'm going to try to find some place where i can try it out.
Quote by Jhachey22
Depends on how much you want to spend. the Danelectro transparent overdrive ($59) is always a good budget friendly choice. So is the Boss SD1 ($39) and the Electroharmonix LPB ($39).

the Boss BD2 ($89), BBE Boosta grande ($79), Visual Sound truetone ($99) and the MXR/CAE clean boost ($99) are all nice clean boosts as well, but are a tad pricier.

My top 3 of any price range are the MXR/CAE OD/boost ($139), the Lizard Leg Draconus ($239) and the Seymour duncan Twin tube classic ($219).

If you end up getting the marshall, stay away from any "green" overdrives. Marshalls are mid heavy to begin with, so throwing a tubescreamer type of pedal on top of that muddies the amp up even more.

i'm probably not getting a marshall (i still dont know yet) but thanks for the suggestions!
Quote by JesusCrisp

+1

lead channels are great for leads as intended, but they do lack ryhtmn chunk. the crunch channel has a lack of gain until its at about 5 on the master, but makes up for it in low mid presence, very heavy but clear.
6505 is the best one out of those 3 for sure, and anyone who says they aren't versatile clearly hasn't turned the gain knob.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by bartnijman
so the Blackmore can get me some nice heavy metal sounds, and some good blues tones also (i really want the metal sound, so it has to have that!)? if so, you da man . thanks dude. Of course, i'm going to try to find some place where i can try it out.

Yes. It is designed as a rock amp and does metal very well. Thrash and anything from the '80s is no problem at all (and as far as I see, that's basically what you're asking for). For really modern stuff like newer death metal or grindcore, something like a 6505 is better, but for the more classic metal tones you're asking for, both amps perform equally well imo.
The Blackmore does get a far better blues sound than a 6505 or comparable amps. Granted, a dedicated low-gain blues amp will beat the Blackmore, but the tones it offers are nice and definitely usable.
Yeah the Blackmore is good. For blues, u can just get a OD pedal and use it on the clean channel. U can also use it to boost the dist channel.
Guitars
Yamaha FS720S
Amp
Roland Microcube