Hey again!

I need to buy a new amp as me and my band have recently been asked to play some small gigs. I don't have an awful lot of money to spend (About £200) I play a lot of funk, blues, classic rock and standard rock. I am looking for would be a smooth clean tone (Hendrix, RHCP) and a nice standard rock, classic rock distortion (Foo Fighters, GnR) I would like to play a bit of heavier stuff (RATM, Metallica) but not DEATH METAL. I don't mind if it has built in effects but it sure would come in handy. It has to be pretty loud and I am willing to go used but would prefer to buy new as I have had big problems with used equipment in the past. Any advice or suggestions would be extremely helpful. Thanks!
See if you can find a used Laney LC30, that should work well enough. 200 quid is a tight budget even for that, but it's a common amp in the UK and they go for ridiculously cheap sometimes.

You won't get anything new for that price that sounds good and is loud. Though I don't know why volume should be an issue really, you'll be mic'd at any venue that requires high volumes.
maybe the vox vr30. i play a vr15, and it sounds like sex man
Elephants. larger than the moon.

98% of teenagers in America are currently bringing sexy back. Put this in your signature if you are one of the 2% where sexy never left.
I got a fender front man 212R for that reason it's awesome of any tone i got it for 300 american dollars couldn't ask for a better one for the chunk a change
Vox AD30VT sounds like heaven and quite loud plus good value for money.
Quote by red157
Getting killed is an occupational hazard when you're an armed robber.

Quote by Random88
Drunk birds falling over? Sounds like Glasgow

'The time I burned my guitar it was like a sacrifice. You sacrifice the things you love. I love my guitar.'

- Jimi Hendrix
Quote by Nowhere822
I got a fender front man 212R for that reason it's awesome of any tone i got it for 300 american dollars couldn't ask for a better one for the chunk a change

I've heard a lot of mixed opinions on this amp, it is just what I am looking for, but a lot of people say it is poor. OH YEAH THAT RHYMED. FEEL LIKE EMINEM NOW BITCHES.

But seriously what's it like? How's the sound? Is it very versatile?
Quote by Jason
Ancient scrolls predict that when Fred Durst and Lil Wayne perform a guitar duet while touching the tips of their penises together, the gates of hell will open and swallow us all.

Hehe.

do 1 thing: get more money

seriously, your budget is so tight, there are just a few Amps that fit in that budget. but if you go used, like u said, it opens some more doors of course, but often the quality of the amp is not as good as it would be when you buy it at a store.

you could buy the vypyr 30, and if you get like 30 pounds extra, you can get the vypyr 75, and you will have a decent amp WITH SOME EFFECTS.
But if you want more quality and more loudness, go for a Behringer VT100FXH solid state head, or the Fame SP200H solid state head.

Whats your current amp?
I totally agree with you. I currently have a Marshall MG15FX which is bloody horrible (But it was my first amp and I got it cheap so y'know).
Quote by Jason
Ancient scrolls predict that when Fred Durst and Lil Wayne perform a guitar duet while touching the tips of their penises together, the gates of hell will open and swallow us all.

Hehe.

Quote by CharlieSlyster
I totally agree with you. I currently have a Marshall MG15FX which is bloody horrible (But it was my first amp and I got it cheap so y'know).

yeah, i know. anyway, if you get around 400 euro's, thats 330 pounds, you have 10x more options with just 130 extra pounds. And i'm sure you can get 130 somewhere. You can even get it with some of your first lil' gigs. If your amp is really that awfull, try boroing an amp from someone or something like that. and how old are you? if you are still young and live with your parents, ask for more alouwence
Peavey Valveking
Quote by alm0st a skat3r
yeah i remember when i had a good conscience. now i dont give a ****

xxx
smoke weed, drink 40's, **** titties
Quote by handbanana
Peavey Valveking

next time, read his thread. he has a budget, and the valveking doesnt really fit in that budget. not even close
^hey noob, ever heard of buying used? Anyone who pays for a new vk is retarded

I've seen used vks go for as low as $175, that's like 100 euros, which is half his budget.

Get a used valveking and use the money you save for an overdrive pedal, with the pedal it will be a pretty versatile amp
no need to buy a solid state or hybrid when he can afford an all tube amp.

so stop telling me to read when you're the one making assumptions
Quote by alm0st a skat3r
yeah i remember when i had a good conscience. now i dont give a ****

xxx
smoke weed, drink 40's, **** titties
Last edited by handbanana at Aug 12, 2010,
Quote by handbanana
^hey noob, ever heard of buying used? Anyone who pays for a new vk is retarded

I've seen used vks go for as low as $175, that's like 100 euros, which is half his budget.

Get a used valveking and use the money you save for an overdrive pedal, with the pedal it will be a pretty versatile amp
no need to buy a solid state or hybrid when he can afford an all tube amp.

so stop telling me to read when you're the one making assumptions

why am i the noob/retard if you neglect to type 'used' in your first post?

but you are right, used vk + good distortion pedal is very reasenable to buy
Guys, this is Europe. A used VK might be found for £350/€450. A new one would be £500+
£200 is very tight unless you go used or compromise a bit with a SS amp. With used, you are limited to what's on offer, either online or at the stores you can get to. A new SS can be had for about £250 or so and will be 100w combo, so well giggable. Advantage is that turning a SS down doesn't destroy the tone like a valve amp. Sure, the sound is not as nice and warm/rich but audiences don't notice and its money in the bank.
TS, have a try on a Hiwatt Maxwatt 100 combo.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x