Page 1 of 2
So in a couple of days I'm flying out to Boulder in Colorado on a uni exchange program for the entire university year. Up until now I've been feeling pretty calm about it, despite it being the first time I've ever lived abroad, totally away from family and friends, had to fend pretty much for myself and so on. Now I'm feeling pretty nervous, about everything. From fear the workload will be too much (I hear you guys work a lot harder at uni than us), the culture shock, the expense, to the slightly irrational fear that I could be eaten by a bear. Or something.

Any words of advice or better yet assurance?
Why leaves Wales? We rock! UNless its Newport.
On topic though, my friend just came back from a 1month exchange to Oklahoma. He said he loved it and the quailty of the univeristy was so much better (than swansea so, you know).
Still have a awesome time man
CYMRU

Quote by apothecarrie
I cut my tongue with a spoon.

Andrew Wk Party Tip 11Be Awesomer!

Woo
I think you'll be fine. At least you're going to a country where you are fluent in the language. I don't think you'll find the culture to be too out of the ordinary either. Obviously it's going to be a change, but it's not going to be too bad.

As far as workload goes, that entirely depends on what you are studying. I never found my university workload to be very bad.

The getting eaten by a bear point is very valid though. Be careful.
Make sure to bang lots of women. Shouldn't be hard, they are suckers for the accent.
Quote by MakinLattes
dwelling on past mishaps is for the weak. you must stride into the future, unabashed and prepared to fuck up yet again.
Quote by itchy guitar
Make sure to bang lots of women. Shouldn't be hard, they are suckers for the accent.

yeah it'll be like shooting fish in a barrel.

as far as adivce: learn to fist pump, color not colour, and mom not mum.
Seriously, the girls will love your accent and as long as you're friendly you'll have absolutely no problem making friends. Everybody here is fascinated by anybody foreign, especially British, since we can actually understand you (most of the time haha).

Just get use to different academic standards, fast food, and hockey.
Dead soldier! Go now to Valhalla!
Quote by Gman400
Seriously, the girls will love your accent and as long as you're friendly you'll have absolutely no problem making friends. Everybody here is fascinated by anybody foreign, especially British, since we can actually understand you (most of the time haha).

Just get use to different academic standards, fast food, and hockey.

This, basically.

You should be fine.
Quote by howamidriving?
yeah it'll be like shooting fish in a barrel.

as far as adivce: learn to fist pump, color not colour, and mom not mum.

Only if you're trying to impress the brosephs inspired by Jersey Shore.

Also, don't say American Football is not true football. This British kid got punched in the gut because of that.
note: Nobody has ever heard of 'north' Wales...or 'south' Wales.....some will not have any idea even what 'Wales' is....few know what a 'leek' is.

You will be 'English'.

Girls will love you even if you have bad teeth.
Last edited by Raptorfingers at Aug 12, 2010,
Quote by last-1s-out
On topic though, my friend just came back from a 1month exchange to Oklahoma. He said he loved it and the quailty of the univeristy was so much better (than swansea so, you know).

Whaaaaat! Newport rocks aswell
Hi , im luke, i play guitar
i live like 20 minutes away from Boulder!
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
Your post was the only bright spot in this disgusting piece of thread.

Quote by lexanirider78
You have balls. I like balls....(awkward silence)

Quote by SeveralSpecies
I waited for the rape.

...but the rape never came
Last edited by ryan_nadon at Aug 12, 2010,
Quote by Masamune
Bears have a pesky habit of breaking into dorm rooms and devouring undergrads and ramen.
watcanyado?

I would sig this if i had room for it
You'll have an awesome time, and girls will love you. Who ****ing cares about the workload? You're on exchange.
Quote by BeefWellington

what's the point in being "philiosophical"?

Interesting question...
Please, for the love of god, keep in mind that Boulder is NOT representative of the rest of our country. That place is so weird.

But hit me up man. We will partay.

GEDIT:

Quote by ryan_nadon

Dude, Cheyenne is a little bit farther than twenty minutes...
Last edited by guylee at Aug 12, 2010,
you're from the UK? dont' sweat it. Girls will be molesting you because of your accent.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
What ever you do, dont try to establish a mosque or they will run you out of town lol
Quote by AgentWiggles
Thanks, douche.

Quote by SlayingDragons
Dude...

Gear:
Ibanez SZ 520QM
Ibanez RG 450DXB
Fender Big Apple Stratocaster
Pod XT Live
Peavey XXX Half Stack
Peavey Bandit 112
and a soul of Rock n' Roll
Colorado has lots of sheep. You'll feel right at home.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Quote by Masamune
Bears have a pesky habit of breaking into dorm rooms and devouring undergrads and ramen.
watcanyado?

Sigged...love it.
<3 Beardfish

Quote by 'Leviathan'
I love you so much.

YAY!
Quote by Jackal58

ZING!
Quote by MakinLattes
dwelling on past mishaps is for the weak. you must stride into the future, unabashed and prepared to fuck up yet again.
and on the bear note,

DO NOT TRY TO OUTRUN IT

just run faster than the guy next to you
Cheers everyone, I feel much better! Minus the undergrad hungry bears, but you know, the british accent and girls thing helps. A lot.

Quote by ryan_nadon

Quote by Raptorfingers
note: Nobody has ever heard of 'north' Wales...or 'south' Wales.....some will not have any idea even what 'Wales' is....few know what a 'leek' is.

You will be 'English'.

Ha, yeah I've been told of this. I'm actually English, but I've spent most of my life in Wales, so I figured rather than explaining all that I'll probably go for a well-rounded British.
Quote by Jackal58

pffft maybe out east, but not in boulder.

Unless you count annoying college kids who all party too hard and blow their first year of school. In that case yes, there are many sheep.
Quote by last-1s-out

That poor soul. Oklahoma and New Jersey are the shittiest of all the states.

Anyway TS, I've only been to Colorado once, so I can't really think of anything except that I recommend trying white water rafting down that gorge I don't remember the name of. That's fun.
Oh and one time while you're state side you must go to New Haven, Connecticut and eat at Frank Pepe's, or go to Kansas City and eat at Grinder's. If you don't, the Geneva Convention says you are to receive lashings until you die a painful death.
I doubt it will be too much different in Colorado than where you live, as far as a culture standpoint goes. This is mainly because well, lets face it, we don't have much in the way of culture that people do not already know about.

Be ready for processed foods.....as far as the eye can see.
<3 Beardfish

Quote by 'Leviathan'
I love you so much.

YAY!
Quote by cornmancer

Anyway TS, I've only been to Colorado once, so I can't really think of anything except that I recommend trying white water rafting down that gorge I don't remember the name of. That's fun.

Royal Gorge, perhaps?
The drinking age is 21 so that will probably suck not being able to go into the bars and whatnot. Make friends and get a fake I.D.
Peepee on yo tittays
Quote by misty_b
The drinking age is 21 so that will probably suck not being able to go into the bars and whatnot. Make friends and get a fake I.D.

Brilliant. Foreign national + Fake ID = Free trip to Gitmo.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Colorado, IMO, is the best state in the US. Your accent will have neck deep in poon. And remember, you can actually keep a gun on you to protect yourself from bears.

DON'T HIRE RON WILSON
Girls don't go crazy or whatnot over accents from what I've seen. Just be friendly and outgoing and you should be fine.
Color not Colour
Tire not Tyre
Mom not Mum
Soccer not Football

As for news, avoid pretty much all American news sources. I've lived in DC my whole life and I get most of my news from the BBC. Remember to drive on the right.
Quote by dr_shred
FrustratedRocka you are a legend

Quote by littlephil

The man clearly knows his shit.

Quote by Banjocal

one of the best, educated and logical posts I've ever seen on UG in the Pit. Well done good sir.
Quote by Jackal58
Brilliant. Foreign national + Fake ID = Free trip to Gitmo.

Ha! Ha!

Best post of the month
Don't pop your collar. Try and make some guy friends because girls are going to swoon over your accent and you don't want guys to think you're an asshole for that right off the bat. Go to parties. STUDY. But yeah seriously everyone in America loves foreign people.
Quote by Arthur Curry
it's official, vintage x metal is the saving grace of this board and/or the antichrist

e-married to
theguitarist
minterman22
tateandlyle
& alaskan_ninja

Quote by FrustratedRocka
Color not Colour
Tire not Tyre
Mom not Mum
Soccer not Football

As for news, avoid pretty much all American news sources. I've lived in DC my whole life and I get most of my news from the BBC. Remember to drive on the right.

OH that's why I see people spell it like that all the time. It's because they won't admit they're wrong they're british (and wrong >_>
I hear yank chicks dig the brits - You'll be fine TS, I hope I can get an opportunity to get an exchange to america, it will be an awesome 10 months for you dude, and if it's shit, at least you speak the language right?
"You're a twat!"- That dude in morrisons

"You Ugly git!" - That girl in the restaurant

"You Were a Mistake!" - Mum

just a few of my fans..

Seeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeex
❒ Taken ❒ Single ✔ Would like a sandwich

Vereor Deus

Quote by dann_blood
Branding!?!? THAT'S TOO PROGRESSIVE! I say bring back settlement payments in weights of lead and impalement upon wooden stakes!

Quote by Doctor Matthews
Oh! Sorry, I thought that was a braille name tag.
Dude, run to Cali the second you get the chance.

Colorado... ugh...
"You can drink an ugly chick hot, but you can’t drink a fat chick skinny."

Fender: HSS Stratocaster

Modulus: 1991 Q5

Peavey:158BASS
Marshall: MG30FDX
Acoustic: B200
Page 1 of 2