I know the difference between "standard" or "traditional" EL34's and 6L6's but I've read that the Groove Tube's version of the EL34's bestow more lowend than the regular el34's but are tighter than the 6l6's. BUT my question is: for a modern metal sound (the amp head provides plenty of gain anyways), are the Groove Tube's version of the el34's capable of achieving the same raw sound and lowend that the 6l6's are capable of (i.e. the best of both worlds)???
Yeah. But the same can be said for DAR amps and other amps which use "weird" tubes...dammit I want a pair of KT120s..I might blow up my amp and burn my house down, but at least I'll go out in a blaze of glory
Quote by forsaknazrael
You can't always sub EL34s for 6L6s....What amp do you have?

Mesa Boogie Dual Recto. (the newer one, hence not the old one) which mine already contains the 6l6's
Yeah. But the same can be said for DAR amps and other amps which use "weird" tubes...dammit I want a pair of KT120s..I might blow up my amp and burn my house down, but at least I'll go out in a blaze of glory
Last edited by C_majzer at Aug 12, 2010,
My only suggestion is not to buy Groove Tubes. They are just rebranded tubes. Look at JJ's instead.
Quote by alm0st a skat3r
yeah i remember when i had a good conscience. now i dont give a ****

xxx
smoke weed, drink 40's, **** titties
I thought only the preamp tubes are rebranded
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Quote by dementiacaptain
I thought only the preamp tubes are rebranded

no, power tubes as well.

i prefer JJ or EH EL34s if you aren't going with vintage tubes. EH are rebranded sovtechs, but they are true (sorta, well enough anyway for me) to the old design.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by gregs1020
no, power tubes as well.

i prefer JJ or EH EL34s if you aren't going with vintage tubes. EH are rebranded sovtechs, but they are true (sorta, well enough anyway for me) to the old design.

a big +1 to the EH el34s
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
EL34's will give you a more aggressive midrange spike, whereas 6L6's offer a more rounded tone. This will give the impression of their sounding "tighter" and will cut through the mix better than 6L6's. The tradeoff is that you'll sound thinner... not the reason you buy a Dual Rec.

Voodoo Amps does a tremendous mod on current production line dual rectos... much tighter than stock, improved even-order harmonics, and they even sort out the problem of the 3rd ch's treble knob being more or less worthless. I highly reccomend them to anyone with a current production line dual rec and an ear for tone. Long story short, if you go this route, get Ruby 6L6GC's.

back to tubes, JJ's EL34's sound a little darker than most to me (which I like), but winged C's get the win in my book... just not in a Dual Rec. I still prefer 6L6's in that amp.
Quote by GrisKy
EL34's will give you a more aggressive midrange spike, whereas 6L6's offer a more rounded tone. This will give the impression of their sounding "tighter" and will cut through the mix better than 6L6's. The tradeoff is that you'll sound thinner... not the reason you buy a Dual Rec.

Voodoo Amps does a tremendous mod on current production line dual rectos... much tighter than stock, improved even-order harmonics, and they even sort out the problem of the 3rd ch's treble knob being more or less worthless. I highly reccomend them to anyone with a current production line dual rec and an ear for tone. Long story short, if you go this route, get Ruby 6L6GC's.

back to tubes, JJ's EL34's sound a little darker than most to me (which I like), but winged C's get the win in my book... just not in a Dual Rec. I still prefer 6L6's in that amp.

thanks o TON!!