Page 1 of 2
Hello Everyone,

Me and some other guys are doing a paper on guitar pickups and we would like to know-

How long you have been playing guitar?

What style of music do you play?

What kind of sound you are looking for in your pickup?

What manufacturers do you prefer to get?

And if you would rather install them yourself or have a professional do it?
2 years.

Blues, Jazz, Rock, Thrash and everything in between.

Depends on what i am playing. Only constant is no mud.

Seymour Duncan.

Install them myself.
Close to 3 years,
Metal, Hard Rock, Classic Rock and Blues,
Depends, For my bridge, I look for power and gain. In the neck? Singing Cleans
I love DiMarzio's, They're the best I've played so far
Install by a Pro, This way, if it gets f*cked up, I'm rich.
How many guitar players does it take to change a light bulb?

Twelve. One to change the bulb and eleven to say they could do it better.

About 5 years.

Mostly blues, metal and everything in between.

Fat sound, chunky distortion and warm/dark sounding cleans.

Dimarzio, Seymour Duncan, Bareknuckle pickups.

Install them myself.
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
Last edited by Burgery at Aug 12, 2010,
About 3 Years

Medium Gain Rock (Gain but no metal)/ Jazz

In the neck, A chunky but un-muddy gain. In the bridge, coil-splittable cleans and a good lead channell.

Seymour Duncan ( I feel obliged to reccomend TDM pups even though I've never heard them lol)

Install them myself...

8 years

metal and anything else

clear and precise, i like a nice middy tone with balls

EMGs pretty much exclusively

pro.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Under 3 years

Power metal, Thrash metal, Metalcore, Hard Rock

Something versatile that can handle everything from high gain to soft cleans.

Seymour Duncan (Bare knuckle warpigs seem incredible if I just wanted high gain stuff)

Professional. Though if I did research I could prolly do it myself just fine.
About 4 years now

I try and get a bit of everything, but mainly metal and prog

My neck sound is clear but still with warmth, I prefer slighty toned down singlecoils and P90s to humbuckers here.
My bridge sound is tight on the bass, lots of mids and punch, with a lower treble setting so as not to get fizzy, but high enough to avoid wooliness. Humbuckers all the way here

The best pickups I've used are PRS and Bare Knuckle, so definitely those, although I'm curious about Wolfetone

I used to go to a pro but now I prefer to do them myself since it's considerably cheaper
Quote by fleajr_1412
You have amazing taste in men.

Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.
Just over 5 years

Prog rock/metal, death metal and jazzy fusion stuff

i love really smooth leads and clear cleans, with warmth for rhythm playing. clarity is very important, muddy tone is not good

My personal favorite brand is dimarzio, but seymour duncans are also very good. not much experiance with others

i have installed myself in the past, but i prefere to let a professinal do it
Quote by Iain.Peters
Guthrie Govan. 'nuff said.
Last edited by lordrcceaser at Aug 12, 2010,

Around 4 years.

Alternative rock (mostly grunge/post-grunge and shoegaze), post-hardcore, space rock, alternative metal, progressive rock, some hard rock, some punk rock/pop punk, and some clean, folkish music as well.

Warm, mellow cleans. Balanced-to-slightly-thicker distortions/overdrives/fuzzes.

I don't know many pickup manufacturers besides the usual (popular?) ones. However I'd say Seymour Duncan, mostly because I'd like to install a couple of Phat Cats on my guitar in the future. Then again, I don't know that many pickup manufacturers.

Pro.

EDIT:
Quote by Slashestranged
Dude, pickups suck. They're a waste of money. Just put a mic realy realyclose to your guitar

No. Just, no.

-----------------------------------------------

Blog (mostly in spanish...)

Current favorite bands:

6. Cave In
5. Black Rebel Motorcycle Club
4. Sparta
3. Biffy Clyro
2. Muse
1. Coheed and Cambria
Last edited by Antoine-Øleg at Aug 12, 2010,
Quote by pickupsguy1987
Hello Everyone,

Me and some other guys are doing a paper on guitar pickups and we would like to know-

4 years
prog-metal/death metal
neck pickup: smooth and warm
bridge: tight, boosted mids and articulate
dimarzio
professional
How long you have been playing guitar? 2 years

What style of music do you play? Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, Judas Priest, Pantera, 70s-80s hard rock, speed metal, thrash metal and a little neoclassical shred

What kind of sound you are looking for in your pickup? Gainy, over-the-top metal rhythm tone from my bridge, and good cleans from my neck, preferably with a good shred tone

What manufacturers do you prefer to get? DiMarzio

And if you would rather install them yourself or have a professional do it? I'd rather install myself, because I want to be a luthier if my musical career fails, so...extra practice. =D
Quote by SlayingDragons
Nah, I prefer to tune lower. My tunings usually go into weird Hebrew symbols.
Five years and a bit, I forget exactly when I started. It's probably much closer to six years now.

Gothic metal, blues, classic rock and pop-punk; a little bit of standard Bon Jovi-meets-Foo Fighters type normal rock too.

Depends on the guitar and what I need to get out of that guitar. Pickups don't effect the tone anywhere near as much as the wood and construction of a guitar does so what pickup I would put in a set neck mahogany and maple guitar is quite different to what pickup I would put in a through-neck alder and maple guitar. Generally though, clarity and full response is what I'm after. I can't stand muddy tones. I can't stand any hum either, so full wax potting and some kind of hum-cancelling technology is an absolute must for me. I often pick pickups which will balance out the wood/construction/hardware of the guitar since I like to make full use of my amp's controls, rather than have a guitar that is always dark sounding, always bright sounding, etc.

Swineshead were my brand of choice, but they have closed down for now. I 'default' to Seymour Duncan for passive pickups and EMG for active pickups, although I have a soft spot for Gibson pickups as well. I happily go to G&B and Tonerider if I'm on a budget for a particular guitar.

Nobody touches my guitars but me and I don't now why anyone would need to pay someone else to install pickups, it takes twenty minutes with a cheap soldering iron (even less hassle if you use EMG pickusp with their solderless install system).
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
8 years come next month.

Psychadelic, Surf, Math Rock, Noise Rock, Grunge.

Lots of Midrange and a very prominant harmonic ring. I need the pickup to be voiced very specifically for those key harmonics, as I rely on it with my style. I go from cleans with lots of reverb to distortion with lots of Phaser, so having a very clearly voiced pickup is essential.

The pickup manufacturer I've relied on for my guitars is Lace. I tend to be very keen on the Lace Sensor Golds and Hot Golds because they give me the criteria I look for as you can read above.

The only reason I'd rather install myself is to save cost. I do what I'm able to do, but if I get over my head I always take my guitars to a professional.
Last edited by rooster456 at Aug 12, 2010,
3 years

Mainly new prog(Muse, Radiohead) but a bit of everything really.

Nice clear cleans and thick distortion with lots of trebley sounds

Well I quite like DiMarzio and Bareknuckle pickups they deliver such good sounds

I'm not great with guitar repair etc. but if I knew how to I would but because I don't no :P
Quote by Slashestranged
Dude, pickups suck. They're a waste of money. Just put a mic realy realyclose to your guitar

GTFO, now.

anyways

about 2 and a half years now?

I play metalcore, punk, pup punk, metal, blues, hard rock, and a little bit of progressive.

a good high amount of midrange, and my bass is normally set to about 3:30 and my treble to about 11 or 12.

Honestly, depends what i'm playing. Seymour Duncan's are very well rounded, but i find PRS pickups to be working wonders for what tones i want, i just adjust the eq and gain a tiny bit to reconfigure and make everything fit to my ears. EMG's actually do pretty good blues tone when you roll back the volume knob and the same with the punk tones. Dimarzios are pretty good too, but I basically am looking at SD's and PRS' for my favorite pickups.

i only let a tech do it for me once, and he let me watch and gave me a discount since we're good family friends. i learned how to do everything from him, so now i dont need a professional's help.
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"
How long you have been playing guitar? 4 years

What style of music do you play? Metal

What kind of sound you are looking for in your pickup? chunky thick and warm

What manufacturers do you prefer to get? Seymour Duncan and Bare Knuckle Pickups

And if you would rather install them yourself or have a professional do it? professional due to not owning a soldering iron
Quote by rgrockr
You can buy whatever guitar you want, you don't have to be at a certain skill level to buy one. This is real life, not some guitar-playing RPG where you have to unlock new guitars.
18 months or so

A combination - indie to metal to other

Something really beefy, thick mids and plenty of clarity

EMG, Iron Gear, Bareknuckle (the latter being the tastiest)

Have someone do it - I'm terrible at doing it
Quote by Kensai
Please, I eat gays for breakfast...

Quote by Kensai
I must be even further in the closet then
a little over ten years

blues, rock and a touch of everything else

depends on the guitar. Each guitar has its own characteristics and that will dictate what kind of fine tuning with the pickups I need.

It has to be clear and articulate, no mud. A huge thing in pickups for me is being able to turn the volume knob down and the pickup still retain its character.

What manufacturers do you prefer to get? Guitarforce. I always had read about boutique pickups and how much better they are, so I decided to try it out for myself. I must say after I installed some Guitarforce pups, it sounded like I pulled a blanket out from over my speakers. Everything became clearer and more responsive. Overall I am completely sold on boutique pickups. Although I have used a bunch of Dimarzio pickups and have had great results as well.

And if you would rather install them yourself or have a professional do it? I'll do it myself
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Tribute (Bare Knuckle Nailbombs)
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul (Seymour Duncan Pegasus and Sentinent)
-Ibanez S470 (Dimarzio D-sonic and Humbucker from Hell)
-PRS SE Custom (Guitarforce Black Diamond and Lord of the Blues)

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
EVH 5150III EL-34 50w
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Boss Super Chorus
Bogner Uberschall
Ibanez DE7 Delay
Electro-Harmonix Power Booster
Fender PT100 Pedal Tuner

Strings:
Ernie Ball Skinny Top/Heavy Bottom 10-52
Quote by kakos

And if you would rather install them yourself or have a professional do it? professional due to not owning a soldering iron
Dude, a soldering iron will cost a fraction of what it costs to have someone else install pickups for you and it lasts for years and years. Buy one and learn how to use it, you'll kick yourself for having ever paid someone else to do it.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
How long you have been playing guitar? 6 years

What style of music do you play? death Metal / prog metal / deathcore/ jazz/ blues / indie

What kind of sound you are looking for in your pickup? Awesome lows but still audible highs

What manufacturers do you prefer to get? Blues/ jazz i really like PRS Deathmetal etc, EMGs/ seymours and for everything else Dimarzios

And if you would rather install them yourself or have a professional do it? Depends on what guitar it is, for example, the wiring diagram for a push/pull 3 pickup guitar was too much for me so I just gave it to the pros :P
I'm not giving you my pickup lines OP.
They're too good to be spread around!

Although in a few days i could give my thoughts on a rg550 with dimarzio tone zone/true velvet/air norton fitted. But meh
"How long you have been playing guitar?" - It'll be three years in November 2010.

"What style of music do you play?" - Most often pretty much every kind of metal, though sometimes some classic and prog rock, as well as a bit of instrumental rock/shred and clean fingerpicking/chord-y stuff.

"What kind of sound you are looking for in your pickup?" - I like my bridge pickups to have a lot of sustain, and be able to bring out a good mid-high gain sound with tight, clear response, not too noisy, and be able to really crunch rhythms or scream leads if I want it to. In a neck pickup I usually look for good bass/mid level response, and can do clean sections and smooth low gain solos without too much bite, but not muddy either.

"What manufacturers do you prefer to get?" - Seymour Duncan if they're passive, and EMG if they're active. Though I'm considering buying Bareknuckle pickups son just to see what all the hype is about.

"And if you would rather install them yourself or have a professional do it?" - If I knew how I'd rather have myself do it, but since I don't it's safer for me to get a professional to install them.
Last edited by Pat_s1t at Aug 12, 2010,
15 years

Motor City Pickup (humbucker) Custom over wound AFWAYU. I love this thing. It is based off of the Afwayu but really really really hot with a lot of lows cut mids and med highs.

Metal/Death/Metalcore

Looking for a pickup that has a lot of low punch but isnt mud

I do all of my own work.
Quote by metalguy101
15 years

Motor City Pickup (humbucker) Custom over wound AFWAYU. I love this thing. It is based off of the Afwayu but really really really hot with a lot of lows cut mids and med highs.

Metal/Death/Metalcore

Looking for a pickup that has a lot of low punch but isnt mud

I do all of my own work.

check out the Guitarforce Black Diamond
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Tribute (Bare Knuckle Nailbombs)
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul (Seymour Duncan Pegasus and Sentinent)
-Ibanez S470 (Dimarzio D-sonic and Humbucker from Hell)
-PRS SE Custom (Guitarforce Black Diamond and Lord of the Blues)

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
EVH 5150III EL-34 50w
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Boss Super Chorus
Bogner Uberschall
Ibanez DE7 Delay
Electro-Harmonix Power Booster
Fender PT100 Pedal Tuner

Strings:
Ernie Ball Skinny Top/Heavy Bottom 10-52
2 years

Hard rock, blues, funk

nice warm clean tone, and a clear beefy distortion.

I originally had texas specials, i keep it for my stratty solos, and hotrailed my guitar (Seymour duncan SHR-1)

in a budget crunch, i kind of took a leap of faith and did it myself, it came out fine. but if i had to do it again i would do everything but the soldering, they charge less but put me down for pro.
"The most important thing about music is energy and emotion, not how well you can play. Technique should be a tool to achieve your vision, not the other way around."
-Jeff Tuttle

More guitar, less ultimate-guitar!
7years

Metal, jazz, prog, and classical

Tight, punchy hot pups with a neck that brings out a smooth clean tone

EMG's primarily, SD's, and DiMarzio's

Pro, not enough time to do it myself anymore.
ESP Eclipse Standard Series W/ PRS Santana II Pickups
PRS SE Soapbar II
Peavey 5150 120w Head
Avatar 412 Traditional Cab(v30's+G12H30's)
Malekko, Rocktron, T-Rex and MXR/Dunlop pedals
Quote by pickupsguy1987

About 2.5 years.

Anything from Alternative to Metal to Progressive.

Bridge pickup-Humbucker, Nice crunchy high gain sounds.
Neck-Humbucker, Soaring high gain leads, thick creamy cleans. Also, coil split for "strat" like cleans.)

Dimarzio Crunchlab in the bridge, Liquifire in the neck.

Myself.

You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...

Since 1988.

Various rock styles (surf, hard, metal, prog, etc.), rock/jazz fusion, and some classical.

It depends upon what I want the guitar to do.

I usually don't change out the pickups in my guitars, so whatever is standard on the model I choose is what I keep. As a result, on my various guitars, I have Seymour Duncans, DiMarzio and so forth.

However, I did swap out some no-names on a Jon Kammerer prototype for some Lace Alumitones and LOVE them.

I'm also looking to swap out the humbuckers on a Dean EVO Special Select with some Tesla VR Extremes.

I go pro all the way.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
9 years

a mixture of Punk, Stoner, Desert and Prog Rock with Jazz and Blues

A warm clean lead tone and a creamy overdriven rhythm tone in the neck position, and a good crunchy distorted tone in the bridge position

DiMarzio and Seymour Duncan if I have the money, otherwise GFS

A pro. I don't want to mess up my guitar with my poor soldering skills.
Maximum Volume Yields Maximum Results
Well:

Q:How long you have been playing guitar?

A: 2 Years, almost 3.

Q:What style of music do you play?

A: From Johnny Cash to Slipknot, Progressive Metal, Classic Rock, Blues.

Q:What kind of sound you are looking for in your pickup?

A: A Fat, Tight, Middy sound that's powerful, expressive and articulate, good sustain and harmonics, and not muddy with single note runs, and defined lower notes, even with very heavy distortion when playing very different and absurd power chords, but still very controlled, yet aggressive. Warm jazzy cleans with a good balance of everything, but not too boomy in the bass department.

Q:What manufacturers do you prefer to get?

A: Dimarzio, thought about SD's and EMG's, but they just don't work for me.

Q:And if you would rather install them yourself or have a professional do it?

A: Myself, save me some $80.
Last edited by LolCatGuitar at Aug 13, 2010,
1. 5 years

2. Blues, Classic Rock, Jazz, Hardcore, Post-Hardcore, Punk, Alternative, Progressive Punk (lol)

3. Real thick but punchy and crisp sound.

4. Depends, I like a lot of manufacturers. Mostly rely on Seymour Duncans, but I like the way lollars and bareknuckle pups sound. Also starting to look into Lace Sensors.

5. Myself. I hate putting my guitar(s) in someone elses hands.
Quote by SG_dave at #33549256
I've never wanted to see a guy eat dick so much in my life.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7 at #33553650
If you are white, you are scum.

8 years.

Hard rock, metal, blues.

Bridge pickups must be able to push a valve amp into decent gain and retain clarity and depth. Neck pickups must be smooth on a gain channel and kinda delicate on a clean channel.

Seymour Duncan.

I prefer to do them myself, more than qualified and im addicted to modifying and building guitars.
Just under 7 years.

A bit of everything except modern metal. Mostly jazz/funk fusion lately.

Lots of low end. Slightly scooped midrange. Smooth high end.

Lollar.

Myself. Anything else is a massive rip off.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
3 years

Metal, mostly. Some blues, but mostly guitar heavy metal

Very high output, but with a smooth edge to it

Seymour Duncan

Well, after being charged $80 just to get 1 passive pickup changed, I'm installing it myself from now on
-LTD Alexi 600
-LTD MH-100 QM
-Schecter Omen 6
-B-52 AT-112
Quote by My Father
So is this guitar Mexican made or human made? Wait, shit, that was really racist wasn't it?

My shitty covers: http://www.youtube.com/simpleben09
4 years

Blues, Classic Rock, Metal

Thick and clear tone

RockMonkey, Bareknuckle (Yet to try), Bulldog Pickups

I usually do it myself.
Quote by Kensai
You'll find whisky very different, but try it and you'll grow into it, soon you and whisky are one, but still two, lovers dancing across a frozen lake under moonlight, wrapped in honey and warmth.

Sums up whisky perfectly

9 going on 10 years mate.

I play Industrial mainly, along with metal and gothic. (old school)

I prefer my pickup to have a flat response as i use an equalizer to shape my tone.
A pickup with a large shape in its tone would not be desired.

EDIT: Also the pickup must be able to handle low notes from G and up. I do not tune that low but the low end harmonics from the B string get quite low. So it has to be clear. Without a clear pickup no amount of equalization can help you

I have no set preference. I choose which ever will get the job done.

Myself, I do not trust others to do things the way want them done. As normally it never fully happens.
People in the pit take my post way too seriously.

MyAnimeList
7-String Legion

If you have a question PM me and I will always get back to you.
Last edited by Deadlock Riff at Aug 13, 2010,
45 years

Rock, Blues, some lighter pop, country, folk

varies with the guitar/style. I really don't want high output for metal from my 12-string

No preference. What sounds good for the job. I have Skatterbranes, EMGs, Wilkinsons, DiMarzio, Bill Lawrence and unbranded.

DIY. I learned how to solder as a kid (with non-electric irons) and diagrams are easy to follow.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

1. 2 years

2. Thrash metal, speed metal, and shred

3. Beefy bridge rhythm tones, smooth neck lead tones

4. DiMarzio

5. I would install them myself if I knew how to solder.
Quote by user_nameless
You can go ahead and sponge my bob.

/notfunnyatalljoke.

Quote by halo43
When you date a vegetarian, you're the only meat they'll ever eat.
Last edited by TMF128 at Aug 13, 2010,
Page 1 of 2