So, I'm getting mine soon, hopefully, and I won't be able to crank it in my house obviously, but I was just wondering, it also plays well at low volumes doesn't it? And no, I'm not buying it as a bedroom amp.
I have a 5150, it's not great at low volumes, but it's not terrible. What I do is turn the gain up to like 6, throw a tubescreamer in front of it with the level at around 9 or 10 o'clock and the rest of the settings accordingly, and I get a pretty decent tone out it. But mine is only 60 watts, not 120 like the head, so I don't know about a stack.

Obviously it will sound it's best when it's cranked, but with a good overdrive you can get decent tones at low volumes. These decent tones I can get with the volume below 1.
Quote by alm0st a skat3r
yeah i remember when i had a good conscience. now i dont give a ****

xxx
smoke weed, drink 40's, **** titties
Quote by handbanana
I have a 5150, it's not great at low volumes, but it's not terrible. What I do is turn the gain up to like 6, throw a tubescreamer in front of it with the level at around 9 or 10 o'clock and the rest of the settings accordingly, and I get a pretty decent tone out it. But mine is only 60 watts, not 120 like the head, so I don't know about a stack.

Obviously it will sound it's best when it's cranked, but with a good overdrive you can get decent tones at low volumes. These decent tones I can get with the volume below 1.

Combo and head wattage will not matter. There's only a 2-3 dB difference in volume between 50 and 100 watts. That's negligible.

The volume at 9 to 10 o'clock? That's not even barely turned up to line level, let alone to act as a boost. The main thing that people say about the 5150 is that it's fizzy at low volumes. But, I have heard it can be made less with different tubes and speakers. Still fizzy, but not as much, or so I'm told.

TS: Define low volumes. If you mean at like 1-2, it'll be fizzy probably, and a lil' muddy (can be EQ'd out). If you mean any higher than 3, you're good to go. At least from my experience.
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
Quote by stratman_13
Combo and head wattage will not matter. There's only a 2-3 dB difference in volume between 50 and 100 watts. That's negligible.

You're right, it's small but probably not negligible. What all that extra power is good for is headroom.
Marshall amplifiers are the truest purveyors of rock and roll known to man.

"And give a man an amplifier and a synthesizer, and he doesn't become whoever, you know. He doesn't become us."

Holy crap, check this out!
Quote by seemeel
You're right, it's small but probably not negligible. What all that extra power is good for is headroom.

Aye, ye be right. I always say it's negligible because personally, at any large venu or any well prepared venue, or if you're a well prepared band, you're going to be mic'd up when playing anyways.

That's my experience anyways.

--

--
Quote by Andrew/WK
So, I'm getting mine soon, hopefully, and I won't be able to crank it in my house obviously, but I was just wondering, it also plays well at low volumes doesn't it? And no, I'm not buying it as a bedroom amp.

Yeah it'll sound fine maybe a bit fizzy but nothing unbearable. Most of the gain on these type of amps is from the preamp all the poweramp does is open up the tone and eradicate a bit of fizz.
I'll prolly get flamed for it but a good attenuator will help. I have a weber mass, def helps with the peavey.
Guitars
Amps
Why would you get flamed for that? . That's actually a great suggestion for the Peavey.
--

--
Unless you're Eric Johnson, it doesn't really matter. They suck a little bit, but it's not that big of a deal.
--

--
Quote by stratman_13
Why would you get flamed for that? . That's actually a great suggestion for the Peavey.

Because attenuators are meant to pad down the sound so you don't blow the lid off of a club, not so you can crank yout amp in your bedroom. it works your your power tubes way harder than you should if you were to run the amp at lower volumes.

TS, do NOT buy an attenuator expecting to get cranked tones at bedroom volumes.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
Attenuators can contribute to your tone as well.
The Weber Mass attenuators are great. Don't buy one just to get down to bedroom levels though - that's not what they are for.

I'd look into a noise gate first if you don't already have one. The ISP decimator is great.
Quote by Jhachey22
Because attenuators are meant to pad down the sound so you don't blow the lid off of a club, not so you can crank yout amp in your bedroom. it works your your power tubes way harder than you should if you were to run the amp at lower volumes.

TS, do NOT buy an attenuator expecting to get cranked tones at bedroom volumes.

I was under the impression that the TS was also gigging, which is why I said that it would be a good thing. An attenuator would be a good addition to a live rig, especially for an amp that benefits from being cranked up, like the Peavey 5150.

I'm aware that it won't turn a 100 watt monster into whisper quiet levels. I've been beating that horse for a while.
--

--
Last edited by stratman_13 at Aug 12, 2010,
Quote by stratman_13
I was under the impression that the TS was also gigging, which is why I said that it would be a good thing. An attenuator would be a good addition to a live rig, especially for an amp that benefits from being cranked up, like the Peavey 5150.

I'm aware that it won't turn a 100 watt monster into whisper quiet levels. I've been beating that horse for a while.

Sorry, i must've misread something. got my wisdom teeth out on tuesday and these funny little candies they gave me keep me thinking crooked
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
120w unattenuated = master barely off inaudible levels in a bedroom. Attenuated, I can get the master up to noonish if I really want. Definitely sounds better than leaving the master barely off inaudible.
Guitars
Amps
Quote by Jhachey22
Sorry, i must've misread something. got my wisdom teeth out on tuesday and these funny little candies they gave me keep me thinking crooked

No problem JH

I'll be in your boat in December . S'all good
--

--
attenuators are a great addition to any live rig when used sparingly. everyone around here (myself included) gets a little edgy when someone mentions them in any context related to bedroom tones just because there's so many such suggestions floating around to do just that.
Quote by GrisKy
attenuators are a great addition to any live rig when used sparingly. everyone around here (myself included) gets a little edgy when someone mentions them in any context related to bedroom tones just because there's so many such suggestions floating around to do just that.

I don't understand the sentiment. I can play my amps with my fiancee sleeping across the hall thanks to my attenuator.
Guitars
Amps
Quote by Matt15f
I don't understand the sentiment. I can play my amps with my fiancee sleeping across the hall thanks to my attenuator.

yes you can. you're also taxing the hell outa' your amp.
Quote by GrisKy
yes you can. you're also taxing the hell outa' your amp.

well i'm not denying that. But it's here to be used so. Either i stick to a roland cube or use my attenuator.
Guitars
Amps