Page 1 of 2
Any tips? This would be my first job interview, I'm a teenager and it's just a small service business, it's pretty much a fedex/kinkos store. So is there any questions I should prepare for or anything I should/ shouldn't say?
Just be polite, and keep lying down to a bare minimum. If drugs are brought up, and you partake in drugs, say you don't. That should be the only lie you tell, because if you work there long enough, they'll catch you in that lie.
Be polite and enthusiastic. Say that you would really enjoy working at this place. Compliment the manager on their impeccable personal hygiene and grooming.
Marshall amplifiers are the truest purveyors of rock and roll known to man.

"And give a man an amplifier and a synthesizer, and he doesn't become whoever, you know. He doesn't become us."

Holy crap, check this out!
^What he said.
And don't show up in a superman costume
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
I've never touched drugs or alcohol in my life, so I'm not worried about that. I guess I'm kind of concerned that he's going to bring something like politics up and I won't be sure what to say.
be articulate, make eye contact, be confident...and be effing thankful you have a job opportunity.
Audio Ecstasy Productions!

Guitar/Backline Tech in the Los Angeles area and on tour!
Custom guitar pedals and cabling for stage and studio!

I set up DAWs and tweak computers to record audio. Hit me up @ audioecstasyproductions[at}gmail.com
Quote by Boomspartaakick
I've never touched drugs or alcohol in my life, so I'm not worried about that. I guess I'm kind of concerned that he's going to bring something like politics up and I won't be sure what to say.

Oh...well then nevermind! XD I doubt he'll bring up politics, and if he does, so what?
Quote by Boomspartaakick

If they bring up politics or religion simply tell them that that is a breach of your rights, and that you don't see how that could be relevant to you having a job there.
Be cool, make your interviewer feel like this is the job for you, make sure to state your obvious achievements and what makes you a valued employee.

As for politics, it shouldnt be something that would be on an interviewers table since there are laws against discrimination of that sort.
Most of the important things

in the world have been accomplished

by people who have kept on

trying when there seemed to be no hope at all
Quote by Boomspartaakick

Not gonna happen. He's going to ask you what your availability is. If you have reliable transportation. Maybe ask how you would deal with an irate customer.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
show confindence, make eye contact and answer JUST what they ask, so you don't say some stupid shit by mistake

There's

NEVER

enough

GAIN

I don't think this has been mentioned yet, but you should dress well.

If you don't own a suit then a shirt and trousers should do along with a pair of smart shoes. Even if it's not the type of job where you'd need to be well dressed, first impressions count so you don't want to look like you don't care about the job. It's always better to be over-dressed than under-dressed for an interview.

EDIT: As for the actual interview, just be yourself. Try not to rehearse too much or you'll come across as very mechanical.

If you end up waiting before your interview, they'll most likely offer you a glass of water. Take it.

And to finish off, try to say things like "good afternoon" or "good morning" instead of hello.
Last edited by Snake_42 at Aug 12, 2010,
QUOTE-"And after a while... You can work on points for style. A firm handshake, certain look in the eye and an eaaasyy smiile... You've got to be trusted, by the people that you lie to. So that when they turn they're backs on you. you have a chance to put the knife iiiiinnnn"

Well at least the first 3 sentences lol. A gold star to anyone who could tell me where that's from!

EDIT: Good luck TS
Last edited by salgala2000 at Aug 12, 2010,
First impressions are the most important things
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Man, thank God the russians created UG. Otherwise, how would I have gotten this information?
Quote by Boomspartaakick
anything I should/ shouldn't say?
Yes sir (or ma'aam)

And don't offer too much info unless asked for.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by Boomspartaakick

Political questions are kinda out of the questions. they mainly ask "Why do you think you're good for the job" "tell me about your future plans" or "what skills do you have to offer this company" stuff like that play it cool and be yourself. good luck
-Shower in the morning, but not too early
-Have nice clothes set aside
-Don't change into said clothes until just before the interview, but have enough time to look them over
-Use mouth wash, deodorant, and comb/brush your hair
-Have an altoid on the way in
-Make eye contact
-Good handshake
-Be happy, but not annoyingly so
-Match the interviewers personality
-Be thankful to be in the position you're in
-Relate all your past experience to hard work, cooperation, communication, ability to deal with people, team work, and attention to detail.
-HAVE YOUR CELL PHONE OFF
-Don't wear a watch
Quote by AA00P
Listen to the man, he's Jewish.
Thanks guys, I think as far as dress is concerned I'll wear a collard shirt , woul I look like an idiot in blue jeans?
Quote by Boomspartaakick
Thanks guys, I think as far as dress is concerned I'll wear a collard shirt , woul I look like an idiot in blue jeans?

Wear khaki pants and a polo shirt. Jeans are never good for interviews.
Quote by AA00P
Listen to the man, he's Jewish.
Quote by Mudmen190
If they bring up politics or religion simply tell them that that is a breach of your rights, and that you don't see how that could be relevant to you having a job there.

Indeed. Get all militant and in his face. The job will most certainly be yours. I always hired the people that told me I was wrong and was violating their rights the first time I met them. While you're at it make sure you slouch in the chair they provide you. Wear clothes full of holes and that haven't been washed in a year. Employers are always sympathetic with dirty slouches. If you have the opportunity to not bathe for a week that will go miles in your favor as well.
Never look your interviewer in the eyes you'll just intimidate them.
If you have a cell phone arrange for all your friends to call you during your scheduled interview time. They'll be impressed with your feelings of self importance. Don't pass on the opportunity to send a text or two as well. Multitasking is important to your potential employer. Demonstrate your capabilities.
I'm here to help man. Any questions feel free to ask.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
Quote by salgala2000
QUOTE-"And after a while... You can work on points for style. A firm handshake, certain look in the eye and an eaaasyy smiile... You've got to be trusted, by the people that you lie to. So that when they turn they're backs on you. you have a chance to put the knife iiiiinnnn"

Superb. I had not discovered animals when I was your age. Rock on dude.
Marshall amplifiers are the truest purveyors of rock and roll known to man.

"And give a man an amplifier and a synthesizer, and he doesn't become whoever, you know. He doesn't become us."

Holy crap, check this out!
Ok thanks. One of my friends works there as well, and she is quitting soon, so I'm hoping I'm the only one applying. Also any tips on irate customers?
Well, spelling is always important.
Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.

We raise the Vibratory so high
That all untruth will fall of its own dead weight
Quote by Boomspartaakick
Ok thanks. One of my friends works there as well, and she is quitting soon, so I'm hoping I'm the only one applying. Also any tips on irate customers?

Ya. If your interviewer asks a question along those lines respond with an answer similar to this "Well maam/sir I would ask them what I can do to help rectify this situation" They are looking for people willing to attempt to solve a problem rather than just bump it along. Let them know that you are capable of interacting with a slighted customer and are willing to help them resolve their issue.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
Quote by Jackal58
^What he said.

Everyone knows Superman was a loser anyways.

Spiderman costume is where it's at.
Quote by L2112Lif
I put a ton of my capital into SW Airlines... The next day, THE NEXT DAY these nutters fly into the WTC. What the hell? Apparently no one wanted to fly anymore, and I was like "What gives? God damnit Osama, let me win a fuggin' game!"
Quote by Jackal58
Indeed. Get all militant and in his face. The job will most certainly be yours. I always hired the people that told me I was wrong and was violating their rights the first time I met them. While you're at it make sure you slouch in the chair they provide you. Wear clothes full of holes and that haven't been washed in a year. Employers are always sympathetic with dirty slouches. If you have the opportunity to not bathe for a week that will go miles in your favor as well.
Never look your interviewer in the eyes you'll just intimidate them.
If you have a cell phone arrange for all your friends to call you during your scheduled interview time. They'll be impressed with your feelings of self importance. Don't pass on the opportunity to send a text or two as well. Multitasking is important to your potential employer. Demonstrate your capabilities.
I'm here to help man. Any questions feel free to ask.

Target destroyed.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
And if asked about the irate customer if he continued to act up, would it be wise to say that I would to my best, but if things stayed out of my control i would get a supervisor?
Quote by Boomspartaakick
And if asked about the irate customer if he continued to act up, would it be wise to say that I would to my best, but if things stayed out of my control i would get a supervisor?

Yep. They are looking to see if you are willing to resolve the issue without involving them first. They know that some times you will not be able to. But most irate customers are simply pissed because they like to be pissed. Not because there is any real issue.
They want an individual that can discern between the two and help them retain their sanity.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
Quote by incarnation
Well, spelling is always important.

Dangit, you beat me. Interview.
Quote by Jackal58
Yep. They are looking to see if you are willing to resolve the issue without involving them first. They know that some times you will not be able to. But most irate customers are simply pissed because they like to be pissed. Not because there is any real issue.
They want an individual that can discern between the two and help them retain their sanity.

they'll also be glad to know that you will ask for help when you genuinly need it rather than getting stuck in a mess. That shows judgement and teamwork ability which goes down excellently with interviewers.
You're using UG classic, congratulations.
You should be using UG classic.

E-Married to Guitar0Player

http://the llama forum because its gone forever which sucks and I hate it.
Quote by Jackal58
^What he said.

I showed up to my interview in a superman costume... they said to arrive in the clothes i would work in

I'm a stripper...
Quote by Tamriel
i get respect from my mate because he "fingers"
Quote by Boomspartaakick
And if asked about the irate customer if he continued to act up I was still unable to resolve the matter to the customer's satisfaction, would it be wise to say that I would to my best, but if things stayed out of my control repeated efforts were still unable to bring a satisfactory conclusion i would get a supervisor?
*fixed*

Okay, so it's a bit advanced and loaded with bullshit. But bullshit IS the cornerstone of dealing with the public in a service related business.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
Nice fix.

Quote by GrimBass
I showed up to my interview in a superman costume... they said to arrive in the clothes i would work in
I'm a stripper...

I fix airplanes. I had a guy show up in a superman costume for an interview. I just sent him in to talk to my boss. I don't have time for bullshit. But I do have time to fuck with my boss.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
I passed my first interview and am on to the second for a security job. If they're gonna trust me from the interview I gave then you should have no problem. Just be polite and answer the questions as concisely as you can without exaggerating too much. And look sharp. I suggest shiny black dress shoes, black dress pants, a white long sleeve button-up shirt and a simply yet elegant tie. Wear a white undershirt as well and make sure your hair is in order.

I actually have one tomorrow.
Dead soldier! Go now to Valhalla!
Just say lots of stuff like, "Thanks for considering me," and, "I appreciate you interviewing me."

Dress nice, but dont over dress. Collared shirt and slacks.

Also, a follow up call 2 or 3 days later is almost never a bad idea (even if they say something like, "Youll hear from us in two weeks.") Just leave the interviewer a message saying something along the lines of, "Thanks for the taking the time to speak with me, I hope to see you again soon." Leaving that message says a lot of potentially good things to the employer; this person actually does have some interest in their job, theyre not afraid to take some responsibility, etc etc

Youll do great

EDIT: Also, very important advice TS. Your handshake is hella important. Look, I know its stupid to base your opinions on someone based of a 4 second handshake, but a lot of people really believe that all they need to know about a person is in their handshake. At the very least, its your first impression on that person, so make it a good one. I was taught how to properly shake hands at a young age, and I honestly think it has helped a little bit in my life
Last edited by tubatom868686 at Aug 13, 2010,
Don't get a job.

Everything has already been said.

But seriously, don't get a job.
Highlight your qualifications. And dress to impress. No one leaves an interview thinking "I should have dressed like a bum."
Quote by Jackal58
Nothing is stranger than being anonymous.
Page 1 of 2