ok so i have like a $350 ibanez rg series guitar, and i love everything about the guitar, but the pickups could be better. im looking to upgrade them once i have the cash, and the two most common pickups i hear about for metal are the emg 81-85 and the seymour duncan blackouts. i play basically all kinds of metal and hard rock, and these are both in the same price range. one issue i have though is that it feels weird putting $200 dollar pickups into a relatively cheap guitar. so basically my question is should i upgrade the pickups (and if so, which ones should i get) or should i just deal with it and wait till i buy a new rg series (which wont b for a while)
Originally Posted by strat0blaster
No matter what you like, you will like Meshuggah.

FREE GUITAR STRINGS!
New Pups won't make much of a difference without a decent amp

EDIT: If you intend on doing it yourself you need to add in the cost of soldering iron, solder, and wire. If you plan on getting it done, add in the cost of someone doing it for you.

2nd EDIT: There's an ultimate which pup thread. It's one of the sticky's in GB&C. They have review on a whole buncha pups and you should ask there for which pup questions.
Last edited by salgala2000 at Aug 12, 2010,
Quote by salgala2000
New Pups won't make much of a difference without a decent amp

+1
Marshall amplifiers are the truest purveyors of rock and roll known to man.

"And give a man an amplifier and a synthesizer, and he doesn't become whoever, you know. He doesn't become us."

Holy crap, check this out!
I put SDBlackouts in my $300 RG. It is now infinitely better than it was with the stock pickups. Considering that the stock pickups on those cheap RGs are basically fecal matter shaped into a rectangle and wired into a guitar, that is not saying much.
make threat emg 8x-85x or blackouts

81-85 cannot face with blackouts.

Seymours opponents are X series
Quote by colgo889
I put SDBlackouts in my $300 RG. It is now infinitely better than it was with the stock pickups. Considering that the stock pickups on those cheap RGs are basically fecal matter shaped into a rectangle and wired into a guitar, that is not saying much.

i couldnt agree more, which is why i really want to upgrade.
Originally Posted by strat0blaster
No matter what you like, you will like Meshuggah.

FREE GUITAR STRINGS!
Quote by (sic)duckmaggot
i couldnt agree more, which is why i really want to upgrade.

Ya i would recommend SDBlackouts then. EMGs sound plasticy where the Blackouts don't.
I would go for the Blackouts.

I have a guitar with EMG's 81/85's in and one with Blackouts. The Blackouts sound far better than the EMG's. They have much more clarity to them and you can actually get a good clean sound out of them.
I have an EMG Blackout in my bridge of my 006 Elite. I liked it for about a day and then noticed it is not all that great for what i play. I wanted to try an active hum and tried this one on a rec. from a friend and now i am yanking it out and ordering a MCP custom Afwayu again.

Over all it was kind of a lot of highs and mids. i could e.q. a decent sound with an mxr e.q. but it was a hassle.

Try a custom hum. call wade at mcp and he will take the time to go through every aspect of tone and ask you what you want and he delivers to the t every time for me.