Page 1 of 2
I originally planned to spend much more on a new amp but now i've decided to lower my budget to around £700.

I play metalcore and hardcore, stuff like august burns red, killswitch engage, parkway drive, every time i die, norma jean, converge ect.

Amps I've thought about so far are:

Bugera 333/333XL/6262
Orange rocker 30
Laney GH50L/TT50
Used Peavey 6505+
Used mesa single recto

I've heard alot about dual and triple rectifiers but not much about the single. How does it compare?

Any advice or suggestions is appreciated
The single recto is fine but IMO especially for single rectos they need a boost to do metal well to tighten up the flubby bottom end then they are pretty great!
I'm not sure the orange would be ideal for what your going for. Good amps though.
I'd cross bugera off the list at that budget because they really are for people that are scrapped for cash and you can afford amps that wont be risky reliability wise.
As for the laneys the gh series could do br00tz with a boost. The TTs arent that high gain so i'd give them a miss.
The peavey 6505 would be definatly a good shout indeed for the stuff you play.
ENGL Thunder 50/Screamer 50
Orange Thunder 30
Marshall DSL100/TSL100
Bogner Alchemist
HIWATT HG100RH
Marshall amplifiers are the truest purveyors of rock and roll known to man.

"And give a man an amplifier and a synthesizer, and he doesn't become whoever, you know. He doesn't become us."

Holy crap, check this out!
Quote by NosralTserrof
Try Jet City.

These guys have attained wild popularity seemingly overnight on this site.
Marshall amplifiers are the truest purveyors of rock and roll known to man.

"And give a man an amplifier and a synthesizer, and he doesn't become whoever, you know. He doesn't become us."

Holy crap, check this out!
Quote by NosralTserrof
Try Jet City.

Another thread where this guy just comes in and suggests Jet City even when it clearly isn't the best option, basically becoming a troll now.

The Peavey 6505 would be perfect TS.
#ENTITLED
WENGER OUT!!!

lastfm
Quote by seemeel
These guys have attained wild popularity seemingly overnight on this site.

To me, it seems like a bandwagon thing - but i'm most likely wrong.

Peavey 6505 are ideal for Metalcore, but in most cases, its pretty over kill.
╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE LURKER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Last edited by silly hats at Aug 12, 2010,
Single will do metalcore and similar genres with a boost, but will be too unfocused and loose without one. I'd go with a 6505/5150 type of amp, unless cleans are really important to you. Otherwise, you can look into a Line 6 Vetta (used of course).

The Jet City 100W head can also do metalcore with a boost, and might be a better value than the Single Rec. However, since you're in the UK, look for used Marshalls such as the JVM410, or used Oranges such as the Rockerverb 100 mkI. The RV100 should be a good value, because mkII just came out.
Quote by sg4ever
+15,670,899,554,667,881,999

Quote by CullenT
+15,670,899,554,667,882,000
That was a post of sage advice. Listen to this guy TS.

Quote by AcousticMirror
my parents beat me for a's. I was like wtf and they were like just keeping you on your toes.

RG1570/PRS McCarty
Rebel 30
Quote by robbo546hall
Another thread where this guy just comes in and suggests Jet City even when it clearly isn't the best option, basically becoming a troll now.

Agreed i've seen multiple threads where that guy comes in and says "Try Jet City" with no specific model or reasons to try jet city.
^Check out FastRedPonyCar's videos on youtube of the JCA100 boosted. They're not too bad at all. Give the guy benefit of the doubt
Quote by sg4ever

Quote by CullenT

Quote by AcousticMirror
my parents beat me for a's. I was like wtf and they were like just keeping you on your toes.

RG1570/PRS McCarty
Rebel 30
Quote by ibz_bucket
^Check out FastRedPonyCar's videos on youtube of the JCA100 boosted. They're not too bad at all. Give the guy benefit of the doubt

Not bad mouthing the amps. I have severe gas for a jet city jca100 actually.
Quote by robbo546hall

OK, fine, I might have a little bit of an bias opinion on the matter, however, I believe that the Jet City is one of the finer amps to come around at this point in time. Sure, for metalcore, nothing really beats a Mesa Rec or a Peavey 6505, but if the man wants to change generes, the Jet City would do that beautifully. You would get laughed off the ****ing stage if you brought a 6505 to a blues concert. If you use your Jet City for your metalcore band, you can also use it for your blues outfit.
NT

BE QUICK OR BE DEAD SON
Quote by NosralTserrof
OK, fine, I might have a little bit of an bias opinion on the matter, however, I believe that the Jet City is one of the finer amps to come around at this point in time. Sure, for metalcore, nothing really beats a Mesa Rec or a Peavey 6505, but if the man wants to change generes, the Jet City would do that beautifully. You would get laughed off the ****ing stage if you brought a 6505 to a blues concert. If you use your Jet City for your metalcore band, you can also use it for your blues outfit.

Lol did he say that he plays blues?
Quote by coolstoryangus
Lol did he say that he plays blues?

No, I mean that IF the man wanted to play blues as he matures, he can do that without dropping $750 or so on a Engater.
NT

BE QUICK OR BE DEAD SON
Quote by NosralTserrof
No, I mean that IF the man wanted to play blues as he matures, he can do that without dropping $750 or so on a Engater.

Why would he need to spend $750 on a egnater to play blues? Plus we're talking uk here
You baffle me.
Quote by coolstoryangus
Why would he need to spend $750 on a egnater to play blues? Plus we're talking uk here
You baffle me.

GODDAMN IT IT WAS THE ONLY BLUSEY AMP I COULD THINK OF.

Don't be so literal.
NT

BE QUICK OR BE DEAD SON
For what was listed (Music and amps), the Bugera 6262 would be the best bet.
Disregard the poor reliability comments...that was on the earliest runs...now they are quite reliable.
Ibanez RGR421EXFM, Michael Kelley Vex NV, Ovation Celebrity. Carvin V3
Peavey 412M w/Eminence Wizards & Swamp Thangs, Rocktron Hush Super C, Furman PL-8C,15 band EQ, Boosta grande, ISP Decimator, Dano EQ, Ibanez TBX 150,TC Elec Polytune
Quote by coolstoryangus
The single recto is fine but IMO especially for single rectos they need a boost to do metal well to tighten up the flubby bottom end then they are pretty great!
I'm not sure the orange would be ideal for what your going for. Good amps though.
I'd cross bugera off the list at that budget because they really are for people that are scrapped for cash and you can afford amps that wont be risky reliability wise.
As for the laneys the gh series could do br00tz with a boost. The TTs arent that high gain so i'd give them a miss.
The peavey 6505 would be definatly a good shout indeed for the stuff you play.

I thought about Orange because Every Time I Die, Norma Jean, Converge, Maylene and The Sons Of Disaster and Underoath have all used them.

I thought the reliability issues with the Bugeras had been fixed long ago?

Out of a mesa single recto with a boost, Laney GH50L with a boost and a Peavey 6505 which do you think would be best for what I play then?

Quote by seemeel
ENGL Thunder 50/Screamer 50
Orange Thunder 30
Marshall DSL100/TSL100
Bogner Alchemist
HIWATT HG100RH

Would the Thunder be able to do metalcore with a boost? What's the difference in the Thunder and the Thunderverb?
I didn't like the Marshall DSL I tried.
I heard some clips or the Bogner and didn't really like it.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Single will do metalcore and similar genres with a boost, but will be too unfocused and loose without one. I'd go with a 6505/5150 type of amp, unless cleans are really important to you. Otherwise, you can look into a Line 6 Vetta (used of course).

The Jet City 100W head can also do metalcore with a boost, and might be a better value than the Single Rec. However, since you're in the UK, look for used Marshalls such as the JVM410, or used Oranges such as the Rockerverb 100 mkI. The RV100 should be a good value, because mkII just came out.

Cleans aren't that important but at the same time having a nice clean channel would be nice.
I haven't seen how much used RV100s go for but there are still some new ones but they're still priced over a grand.
Look for a used Orange RV50, you'll never look back. I sold mine for £700 so I'm sure you can find one.
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

Quote by circlethesky
I thought about Orange because Every Time I Die, Norma Jean, Converge, Maylene and The Sons Of Disaster and Underoath have all used them.

Out of a mesa single recto with a boost, Laney GH50L with a boost and a Peavey 6505 which do you think would be best for what I play then?

Well yeah but those bands are different sounding to say killswitch engage, august burns red etcetc.

Bugeras are still cheap amps really the stock tubes barely last a day and there still made of cheap parts and will still have issues. No matter what "the bugera militia" will try to tell you on here.

Out of those I'm not really sure. The 6505 is probably the standard type of amp for alot of the bands you listed. The laney will have a different tonality but it can get heavy and if you want more of a unique sound it can definatly do it. Mesa slays aswell. Its really up to you.
Last edited by coolstoryangus at Aug 13, 2010,
Just so you know, the Rockerverb has more gain than the Thunderverb. I wouldn't give up on a RV100/50, but definitely take a 6505 out of the three you mentioned.
Quote by sg4ever

Quote by CullenT

Quote by AcousticMirror

RG1570/PRS McCarty
Rebel 30
Wait fir the thunder 30 and get a boost.

My rocker .30 is perfect in my death metal band...

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Have you thought about a B-52 . i have a AT100 and its great for high gain and what not . very versatile amp .allot of gain but well balanced .
Quote by circlethesky

Would the Thunder be able to do metalcore with a boost? What's the difference in the Thunder and the Thunderverb?
I didn't like the Marshall DSL I tried.
I heard some clips or the Bogner and didn't really like it.

Cleans aren't that important but at the same time having a nice clean channel would be nice.
I haven't seen how much used RV100s go for but there are still some new ones but they're still priced over a grand.

Maylene used Orange cabs, they do not use Orange amplifiers. I believe the most recent pics I've seen they are using Avatar cabs now (orange in color with v30s). The amps they use Peavey XXX/JCM800 (on an ABY), a Mesa Stilletto and a Mesa Dual Rec.

Probably the best bet is the 6505 for the bands you listed. Beyond that the Alchemist will do metalcore too, but it does have that German low mid eq hump. Personally I like the sound, but I've heard of reliability issues with the Alchemist line.
Irrelevant quote from obscure person
Obnoxious statement regarding size of e-ween
Italicized text indicating bandwagoning masquerading as deep thought
ASCII graphic that will take over the world if you put one in your signature
Made up statistic
The Alchemist is not a high gain amplifier. It isn't built for metal, and one shouldn't expect tight, focused, gainy sounds to come out of it.
Quote by sg4ever

Quote by CullenT

Quote by AcousticMirror

RG1570/PRS McCarty
Rebel 30
Quote by coolstoryangus

Bugeras are still cheap amps really the stock tubes barely last a day.....

With reports of STOCK tubes lasting 4 YEARS on a giging (400+ gigs) amp, I find the above to not only be an exageration, but an outright lie.

I guess, when you can't beat em'...lie about them
Peavey 412M w/Eminence Wizards & Swamp Thangs, Rocktron Hush Super C, Furman PL-8C,15 band EQ, Boosta grande, ISP Decimator, Dano EQ, Ibanez TBX 150,TC Elec Polytune
Quote by Vinson
With reports of STOCK tubes lasting 4 YEARS on a giging (400+ gigs) amp, I find the above to not only be an exageration, but an outright lie.

butthurt much?
That was complete luck.
Quote by Originally Posted by coolstoryangus

Bugeras are still cheap amps really the stock tubes barely last a day.....

Quote by Vinson

Quote by coolstoryangus
butthurt much?
That was complete luck.

And the vicious cycle of bugera hate continues
Gear
Bugera 6262 Head
Harley Benton G212 Vintage
Ibanez RGA 121 Prestige
ESP LTD DJ600
Fender USA Stratecaster
Maxon O808
TC Electronic Flashback Delay
ISP Decimator
MXR 10 Band EQ
Boss T-U3 Tuner Pedal
More like bugera fanboyism with the militia invading a thread where the OP can obviously afford alot better than a bugera.
kthx
end.
Quote by coolstoryangus
More like bugera fanboyism with the militia invading a thread where the OP can obviously afford alot better than a bugera.
kthx
end.

I think it's up to TS to decide what to buy. Because someone suggested a bugera doesn't mean you can flame.

Kthnxbi

and stop lurking my profile, you're not welcome anymore
Gear
Bugera 6262 Head
Harley Benton G212 Vintage
Ibanez RGA 121 Prestige
ESP LTD DJ600
Fender USA Stratecaster
Maxon O808
TC Electronic Flashback Delay
ISP Decimator
MXR 10 Band EQ
Boss T-U3 Tuner Pedal
Quote by Adam124
I think it's up to TS to decide what to buy. Because someone suggested a bugera doesn't mean you can flame.

Kthnxbi

and stop lurking my profile, you're not welcome anymore

OK i tend to click on everyones profile out of bad habit but i've just set it my browsing mode invisable so you'll never know now

Its quite funny really because all i said was the truth about bugera and the fanboys got all butthurt i didnt actually flame anyone for suggesting it persay.
Quote by coolstoryangus

Its quite funny really because all i said was the truth about bugera and the fanboys got all butthurt i didnt actually flame anyone for suggesting it persay.

Well, you DID lie about the build quality of the amp company to start with.

At his price point, there isn't much of anything better than a Bugera. Peavey is in the price range, but many prefer the tone and options the Bugera gives over the peavey... Some prefer the Peavey tone, some the Bugera tone...the OP needs to hear them for himself. The Bug having a much better price, better options, and to many, better tone, with now similar build quality (if not better in the case of the 6505+ 1x12 combo)...I can't see how the Peavey would be any BETTER...if not equal.

JCA are nice amps, but not the best option for what he was looking for. But certainly good value for the dollar.

He asked for advice...Mine is to try the Bugs and see if he likes them...I also advise NOT to pay credence to those who would dismiss Bugeras because of some made up hyperbole about build quality. (SERIOUSLY, could they still be in business if the tubes didn't last a day?)
Dollar for dollar, you can't beat a Bugera in the 100+watt 2-3 channel metal amp category.
Orange Rocker/Thunder 30

plus

Way Huge Angry Troll a a boost

= All the gain you could want and within budget

EDIT: and far far far far far better than any Bugera from purely a "quality" comparison.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by NosralTserrof
This is one of the best hate threads I've been in in a while.

Thats what happens whenever the butthurt millitia spots someone speaking bad of bugeras quality
Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, the Rockerverb has more gain than the Thunderverb. I wouldn't give up on a RV100/50, but definitely take a 6505 out of the three you mentioned.

I haven't seen any rockerverbs for under £1000 so far, same for the thunderverb.

Quote by SwampAshSpecial
go used all the way - look out for ENGL screamers and anything else you can get used at that price (I'd avoid the thunder), Mesa Rectoverbs or Single Rectos, an Orange RV50 would fit aswell or if you don't need cleans a 6505+

I haven't seen any of them for under £700 apart from the screamer. The mesas and orange rockerverb all seem to go for around £1000?
Last edited by circlethesky at Aug 16, 2010,
Page 1 of 2