so tomorrow i am going to use a friends 2 12 electric guitar amp and i was wondering if adding a 4 12 cabinet using the line out would lessen the chances of damaging the amps speakers?
thanks for any help
No. If the speakers in the combo were installed by the factory then they're fine. Save yourself the trouble of lugging around a 4x12.
Marshall amplifiers are the truest purveyors of rock and roll known to man.

"And give a man an amplifier and a synthesizer, and he doesn't become whoever, you know. He doesn't become us."

Holy crap, check this out!
Wow...

First, do you mean a 4x12 guitar or bass cabinet?

If the former then you could just be adding to the amount of gear you damage. If the latter then you will be reducing the power going into the guitar speakers, but depending on the levels you use there is still every chance of damaging them (and if you're thinking of using a separate cab then I assume that you'll be trying to compete with at least drumkit levels, in which case you will most probably cause damage).

2nd, a line out will not do anything with an extra speaker cabinet because it is a line level signal and not powerful enough to do anything with a speaker cab.

3rd doing this to a friends gear could be hazardous to your friendship.

To summarise, I'd really recommend you don't do this at all.
Quote by Jateca
Wow...

If the former then you could just be adding to the amount of gear you damage. If the latter then you will be reducing the power going into the guitar speakers, but depending on the levels you use there is still every chance of damaging them (and if you're thinking of using a separate cab then I assume that you'll be trying to compete with at least drumkit levels, in which case you will most probably cause damage).

2nd, a line out will not do anything with an extra speaker cabinet because it is a line level signal and not powerful enough to do anything with a speaker cab.

^This is good advice. It is the frequencies the bass produces that can raise hell with guitar speakers. Adding more of them will likely just damage more speakers.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Quote by Jateca
Wow...

Quoting for great truth.

They make 12'' guitar speakers and 12'' bass speakers. But they are not the same speaker at all.
unless your playing an arena ive never seen it necessary to have a whole bunch of speakers honestly anyways
Keep On Keepen' On
alright thanks for clearing that up guys ill try and avoid even using a guitar amp
Quote by JessyB96
unless your playing an arena ive never seen it necessary to have a whole bunch of speakers honestly anyways

Try playing in a reggae band without PA subwoofer support

Though in fairness I've never needed anything beyond my 4x12... yet.

To the OP, good for you; it will save you a bit of grief.