I just recently got an acoustic Gibson guitar today. Supposedly 96-100 years old.

Now the sticker inside is really bad and cant see the serial number or the model. So i dont know the exact age or model. It looks like an L3 but im not sure. Does anyone have any kind of information about this guitar? Thanks (click for larger pics)
Quote by nincompoop
potcorn56, you are a god.
can you look inside with a flashlight and tell us what kind of bracing it has? that might be informative. you might also want to go here

http://home.provide.net/~cfh/gibson.html

this guy seems to know his stuff, and he has specs and info about all the L's.

So far what i felt is like a curve bracing I cant see it really since the sound hole is small like this type of bracing i dont know im going to get it checked out tomorrow though. If anybody has more info I'm all ears.
Quote by nincompoop
I pulled up google images of "Gibson L3", and all the guitars shown had a trapeze-type tailpiece.
The tailpiece on yours is certainly unique. Pity the bridge is missing. (or did they include it?)
Quote by Bikewer
I pulled up google images of "Gibson L3", and all the guitars shown had a trapeze-type tailpiece.
The tailpiece on yours is certainly unique. Pity the bridge is missing. (or did they include it?)

Yea I took it off with the strings I guess the glue that held it on wore off. The strings were 20+ years old. But im getting strings tomorrow (light strings) and seeing what can be done about the 11th fret buzz. It was actually passed down 4 generations in my family so I'm damn grateful I got it.

Edit: For strings should I get steel or nylon? It had steel on them before. Will it mess with the neck at all if i change from steel to nylon?
Quote by nincompoop
Last edited by potcorn56 at Aug 12, 2010,
Quote by swarley
You shouldn't put nylon strings on a non-classical guitar.

Yea I know not to do that with newer guitars but with its age and it hasn't been played in 20+ years and i dont know if it could take the steel tension anymore or what. I'm not a wiz at repairing guitars so I'm taking it to my local guitar store just to get some advice.
Quote by nincompoop
Quote by potcorn56
Yea I took it off with the strings I guess the glue that held it on wore off.

I don't think the bridge was ever glued on, it's not the case with such guitars.
When the bridge fell off there was like a tacky substance but that might be from something else. Thanks alot for the help guys I'm going to get it looked at in about an hour. When i get back I'll keep you posted.
Quote by nincompoop
Ok I took it to the shop and they told me that it is around a 1908 L3. The original trapeze piece is missing so im going to replace the one I have on cause the guy says the original is much lighter and will give me a better tone. Now can anyone recommend me a good humidifier?

Edit: I got some silkies
Quote by nincompoop
Quote by jaybals
Hey, sorry this isn't a helpful post, but that thing is beautiful, how much did that set you back if you don't mind me asking?

Thats alright . I actually didnt buy it. My Great Grandfather bought it in 1908 and went door to door singing and playing with some people. There it was passed down to me since I am the only one playing guitar in my entire family. So $8 for the home town Martin Guitar silk strings and thats all I put in so far. It has an amazing tone, can't wait to get the original trapeze tailpiece supposedly that makes a difference in tone.
Quote by nincompoop
Epiphone made a tailpiece like that, but I'm pretty sure it was later, like in the '40s. Don't quote me on it though. If that is in fact the case, it could be aftermarket.
Epiphone Dot
DIY Esquire w/Neovin Power Rock pickup
Vox AC30VR 212
Arion MTE-1 (LED clipping diodes added)
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
By high-gain I don't mean stupid stuff. I just mean styles like Motley Crue or Iron Maiden
Quote by MortifiedLizard
Epiphone made a tailpiece like that, but I'm pretty sure it was later, like in the '40s. Don't quote me on it though. If that is in fact the case, it could be aftermarket.

Yea the guy in the shop said it was aftermarket but didnt say where it was from. I'll look into it thanks for the info man.

Edit: I found out that the tail piece is a "finger" tailpiece. Gibson put them on the Jazz archtop semi acoustic guitars
Quote by nincompoop
Last edited by potcorn56 at Aug 13, 2010,