Short-and-sweet: Revamping my recording setup.

Currently looking into a nicer mic than an SM57 for vocal recordings.

Looking at these two;

http://www.guitarcenter.com/MXL-R-144-Ribbon-Microphone-105810691-i1470672.gc

http://www.guitarcenter.com/MXL-MXL-990-Condenser-Microphone-with-Shockmount-770693-i1126975.gc

The first was listed under condensers, but it doesn't seem like it is one. What exactly is the difference between a large-diaphragm condenser and a ribbon mic, and which would work better for baritone blues/hard rock/folk-influenced progressive vocals?
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 73-78
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 24-7
SM58. trust me, they're the standard for a reason. plus large diaphragm condersers are bad if you ever try to play live. too much feedback.
I was actually planning to use the SM57 if I went live and the venue didn't have a vocal mic, and the two are the same save for the cap. This'd be a studio tool that'd sit at home.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 73-78
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 24-7
Quote by EFGuitar
SM58. trust me, they're the standard for a reason.

Yes, because they're ubiquitous, inexpensive, and bullet-proof. Not because they make great vocal recording mics.

I'd say, between those two choices, your best bet is to try them out. Different mics sound better on different singers. One might sound brilliant on you, but the other might sound brilliant on the next guy. Quality-wise, I'm not sure how different they're going to be.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
as said, try them if you can since every voice is different and different mics will complement it more than others. i would guess though, that the ribbon wont sound as good for those styles, especially in that price range. it might also be good to consider a few other mics as well. i'm personally a believer in the AT2020 for a good vocal mic in the $100 range. if you can stretch your budget any you'll probably be better off. i've heard great things about the Rode NT1A if you can afford it.
Unless you have a good room for recording in I wouldn't bother with an expensive condenser. It'll only record the boxxy-ness of your room with more clarity. Dynamic's probably the way to go. SM7 has done me well in the past but you'll get passable results with the 58 too.

Oh, and picking up on something you said in your 2nd post...the 57 and 58 are not the same save for the cap!!! Look at the frequency responses of the 2 and you'll find differences. I don't know who came up with idea that these 2 mics are the same but it does my head in for some reason :p

/rant over

Good luck with your recordings though!
Quote by bjoern_swe
my mom found me sitting in the kitchen, eating Corn Flakes from the floor. when she asked me what I was doing, I just roared at her and ran up to my room.

George Foreman Grill Appreciation Society
Quote by alliwant

Oh, and picking up on something you said in your 2nd post...the 57 and 58 are not the same save for the cap!!! Look at the frequency responses of the 2 and you'll find differences. I don't know who came up with idea that these 2 mics are the same but it does my head in for some reason :p

/rant over

Good luck with your recordings though!

we probably say that because Shure says on their website that they have the exact same capsule. they only difference is the grille, which does have an effect on the frequency response, but not all that much. plus, take the grille off the 58 and it's even closer to a 57.

no it's not the exact same response (still the same capsule though...), but it's not different enough to warrant spending another $100 for most low budget home recordists.
Tbh it's probably the grille that effects the frequency response, causing the change. Probably just made my wee rant null and void but just thinking aloud.
Quote by bjoern_swe
my mom found me sitting in the kitchen, eating Corn Flakes from the floor. when she asked me what I was doing, I just roared at her and ran up to my room.

George Foreman Grill Appreciation Society
Quote by sandyman323
Shure says on their website that they have the exact same capsule. they only difference is the grille, which does have an effect on the frequency response,

+1

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.