i was going to take the locking nuts of my guitar to tune them and one of them wont come out the screw unscrewed but it wont come out ive been pulling at it 4 like 20min now and its really pissing me the **** off! HELP ME!!!!!
Guitars
Gibson Explorer
Takemine EG523SC
Epiphone Slash Signature Les Paul
BC Rich Mockingbird ST

Amp
Vox Valvetronix 100watt

Pedals
TC Electronics Ditto Looper
Dunlop Original Cry Baby
Electro-Harmonix Freeze Sound Retainer
So it unscrewed fully or got to the end of the little bolt and stoped in the threads? This sounds odd...
oh alright but what if i cant ever take nut off again? this guitar is pretty new but i dont wanna take it back to the shop for such a small problem that i thought i could fix myself
Guitars
Gibson Explorer
Takemine EG523SC
BC Rich Mockingbird ST

Amp
Vox Valvetronix 100watt

Pedals
Dunlop Original Cry Baby
Ummm... what exactly are you doing?

You don't take the nut off to tune, you just loosen it. It should only take a couple turns with an allen wrench to get it loose enough to tune. I don't think the bolts are meant to come out entirely... It sounds like you might be trying to break it. Don't break your guitar, just calm down, and see if you can tune the way it is... and maybe us some punctuation besides exclamation points to clarify what you're trying to say.
The bolts are ment to come all the way out... Sounds like someone cross threaded it while putting it in...

You may need a new locking nut installed down the road...
sorry man but this thing was just pissing me off and i thougt you could take them off? and then theres those other flathead like tuners on the bridge i cant seem to figure out how to use either can you help me understand those pls and also how to raise the bridge to because its not level with the guitar its leaning back slightly
Guitars
Gibson Explorer
Takemine EG523SC
BC Rich Mockingbird ST

Amp
Vox Valvetronix 100watt

Pedals
Dunlop Original Cry Baby
Last edited by guitarguyz61 at Aug 12, 2010,
I think you should get it set up then bro

Are you telling me theyre out of dragons?
They never had dragons..
Who didnt?
The world..
GET THIS GUY OUT OF HERE, FIND ME A DRAGON
uhmmm no just cause i got pissed dont mean im 10 man
Guitars
Gibson Explorer
Takemine EG523SC
BC Rich Mockingbird ST

Amp
Vox Valvetronix 100watt

Pedals
Dunlop Original Cry Baby
well i was but where i bought from would charge $20 more and i only had $10 at the time ripoff to begin with but besides that im confused on those tuners on the actual bridge otherwise i understand how to level the tremolo now i looked up how to do it from dummies on google
Guitars
Gibson Explorer
Takemine EG523SC
BC Rich Mockingbird ST

Amp
Vox Valvetronix 100watt

Pedals
Dunlop Original Cry Baby
IS this the first time you've messed with the nut? If you overtightened ANY part on the floyd rose you WILL ruin it. I would take it in if that happened even though I have built my own guitar just because locking trems can be a little tricky at times.
ESP Eclipse Standard Series W/ PRS Santana II Pickups
PRS SE Soapbar II
Peavey 5150 120w Head
Avatar 412 Traditional Cab(v30's+G12H30's)
Malekko, Rocktron, T-Rex and MXR/Dunlop pedals
no i have used floyd roses before so i know not to over tighten but its been a few years since ive used one so i kinda need the tutorial again i guess but then again i know about the string tension and all that its just on my other guitar i never botherd even looking at the tuning parts on the tremolo thats the only thimg im asking on here about everything else i pretty much understand
Guitars
Gibson Explorer
Takemine EG523SC
BC Rich Mockingbird ST

Amp
Vox Valvetronix 100watt

Pedals
Dunlop Original Cry Baby
pics would help...
PRS SE Soapbar II
Peavey 5150 120w Head
well ill get some up in a few minutes then i just wanna finish getting the bridge adjusted so you guys can see if i did it right which im 100% i did that right
Guitars
Gibson Explorer
Takemine EG523SC
BC Rich Mockingbird ST

Amp
Vox Valvetronix 100watt

Pedals
Dunlop Original Cry Baby

Welcome to the world of floating trems. I'll try to tell you everything you need to know to get by.

First, don't force anything. The locking nuts should come completely off, but you don't need them off to tune, you just need to loosen them a little. If they're not coming off completly don't do anything drastic, you may strip the bolt or the threads in the nut itself.

The "flathead" tuners on the bridge are called "fine tuners". These are to fine tune the strings after you lock the nut. Since locking the nut puts pressure on the strings, it makes them all go a little sharp, and you use the fine tuners to bring them back to pitch.

To understand the next part, you have to understand this. The strings have a certain tension they are set at, and when you change the tuning, you're changing the tension of the strings. Going to a lower tuning means the strings have less tension; going to a higher one means they have more.

In order for any guitar with a floating trem to stay in tune, the tension of the strings must equal the tension of the springs in the cavity on the back of the guitar. When their tensions are equal, the bridge will always come back to the same spot, and the guitar will stay in tune.

So, if you change the tuning of the guitar, you are changing the tension of the strings, and you'll ave to change the tension of the springs to counter it. If you go to a higher tuning, you'll need to add some tension to the springs (turn the screws clockwise); if you go to a lower tuning, you'll need to loose some tension (turn the the screws counter-clockwise.)

Remember, you can never change tunings or string gauges without adjusting the springs and expect the guitar to stay in tune. It just won't work.

You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...
Last edited by biga29 at Aug 13, 2010,
Quote by biga29
*Incoming large post*

That's what she said...
PRS SE Soapbar II
Peavey 5150 120w Head
Guitars
Gibson Explorer
Takemine EG523SC
BC Rich Mockingbird ST

Amp
Vox Valvetronix 100watt

Pedals
Dunlop Original Cry Baby
Guitars
Gibson Explorer
Takemine EG523SC
BC Rich Mockingbird ST

Amp
Vox Valvetronix 100watt

Pedals
Dunlop Original Cry Baby
apprently my bother took the camera tongiht out with him ( just adding to the rest of my bad day) so i just put up a link of a pic of my type or tremolo system the part labeled fine tuners is the part i forgot how to use everything else i am familiar with and i sloved my locking nut problem anyways its all fine nothing broken
Guitars
Gibson Explorer
Takemine EG523SC
BC Rich Mockingbird ST

Amp
Vox Valvetronix 100watt

Pedals
Dunlop Original Cry Baby
Quote by biga29

Welcome to the world of floating trems. I'll try to tell you everything you need to know to get by.

First, don't force anything. The locking nuts should come completely off, but you don't need them off to tune, you just need to loosen them a little. If they're not coming off completly don't do anything drastic, you may strip the bolt or the threads in the nut itself.

The "flathead" tuners on the bridge are called "fine tuners". These are to fine tune the strings after you lock the nut. Since locking the nut puts pressure on the strings, it makes them all go a little sharp, and you use the fine tuners to bring them back to pitch.

To understand the next part, you have to understand this. The strings have a certain tension they are set at, and when you change the tuning, you're changing the tension of the strings. Going to a lower tuning means the strings have less tension; going to a higher one means they have more.

In order for any guitar with a floating trem to stay in tune, the tension of the strings must equal the tension of the springs in the cavity on the back of the guitar. When their tensions are equal, the bridge will always come back to the same spot, and the guitar will stay in tune.

So, if you change the tuning of the guitar, you are changing the tension of the strings, and you'll ave to change the tension of the springs to counter it. If you go to a higher tuning, you'll need to add some tension to the springs (turn the screws clockwise); if you go to a lower tuning, you'll need to loose some tension (turn the the screws counter-clockwise.)

Remember, you can never change tunings or string gauges without adjusting the springs and expect the guitar to stay in tune. It just won't work.

you are a lifesaver man thanks alot i really understood every word you said and most sites couldnt say it as simple as you could especially about the fine tuners now i understand those completly and i just finished adjusting the springs with the tuning its perfectly level to my suprise i knew just about everything you had said beside the fine tuners that i had been asking for an explanation for all along ill say it again man your a lifesaver and also you are the only one that didnt complain about my bitchiness i had a bad day and wanted to just jam and forget everything and then the guitar caused me all these problems but im cooled off now so thanks for everything
Guitars
Gibson Explorer
Takemine EG523SC
BC Rich Mockingbird ST

Amp
Vox Valvetronix 100watt

Pedals
Dunlop Original Cry Baby