So, I had been planning on getting a Spector in a few weeks, but I got a letter from the government of Ontario saying that I owe them 800$ for a bursary. So basically, my dreams of a nice new 4 stringer are shot. I've come to a few options at a lower budget.
1) Squier VM Jazz Bass
2) Traben Array 4
3) Ibanez SR300

I play metal, but recently have been getting into alot of slap-type stuff. Also, my budget is gonna be roughly 700$ CDN, and I gotta get myself an amp with that too.

Any suggestions other than these? or opinions on any of these?
My Gear:
Fender Squier VM Jazz Bass
ESP LTD B-5E
ESP LTD EC-330FM
Ibanez RGD7421
Jackson DXMG
Line 6 Pod X3
I'm not too familiar with #2, but the other choices are solid and will serve you well. The VM series is a great value and in some cases, near the MIM quality of Fender basses. And I am just an unapologetic fan of Ibanez. The SR series are really versatile and good value for the cash!
Well I have played #3 and I own #2 and both are very nice for the price. Both will work well for metal and sound and feel really good to me. I tried slapping on the Ibanez but I didn't like it. Slapping on the Traben sounds decent and feels fine. It's not exactly a slap bass but it can be done and so fine when you do it. I don't really have any experience with # 1 though, sorry.
So that with good courage we say, “The Lord is my helper. I will not fear. What can man do to me?”

-Hebrews 13:6
It's all good I've really been looking for some opinions on the Traben, cuz everything I've read says it's pretty awesome for the price, and hey, it looks cool too
My Gear:
ESP LTD B-5E
ESP LTD EC-330FM
Ibanez RGD7421
Jackson DXMG
Line 6 Pod X3
Most Trabens seem to be very good basses; particularly for the money. I am partial to the Chaos series (especially the Chaos Obsession basses). Any of those three should serve you well.

Sorry about your Spector plans. You people pay too damned much in taxes.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Heh, it wasn't the taxes. It was my University screwing me over, and then the government screwing me subsequently. Usually a bursary is a donation sort of for doing well academically, who knew that they make you pay it back.
My Gear:
ESP LTD B-5E
ESP LTD EC-330FM
Ibanez RGD7421
Jackson DXMG
Line 6 Pod X3
if you can get a few more bucks, theres the squier classic vibe p bass. such a great bass.
Quote by BobDetroit
It's all about the abalone. You can't play metal without it. Mother of pearl? MOTO? GTFO!
All are solid basses, I prefer the Traben out of all of them, and not just because I own one. Fantastic quality for the price. TrabenBassist22 hit it right that they're a bit awkward for slap, but overall they're top notch quality for the price. The Squier VM is a close second, and the Ibanez is third for me. All IMO of course
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Fortunately, I'm using a BC RIch Widow to slap right now so I don't think it gets more awkward than that. Can you get a decent slap tone out of the Traben? And from what I remember, the Squier seemed kinda heavy to me, is it accurate to say that the Traben's quite a bit lighter?

Thanks for all the help guys and gal
My Gear:
ESP LTD B-5E
ESP LTD EC-330FM
Ibanez RGD7421
Jackson DXMG
Line 6 Pod X3
Yes you can get a decent slap tone with the Traben. I usually put the blend knob all the way on the bridge pickup and mess around with the EQ and I get a good slap toe. And the Traben is very, very light. I have never played an instrument this light besides my viola.
So that with good courage we say, “The Lord is my helper. I will not fear. What can man do to me?”

-Hebrews 13:6